• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

82 Scrambler and long overdue introduction

Ghostwave

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Kirkland
State
Wa
So between life getting in the way, projects to find a fix multiple problems, and a general reluctance to fully reveal my purchase story...Well my story just did not get told and I never properly introduced myself even after hanging around for a couple years.

Tonight...I'll finally tell the story. Pull up a chair, grab a nice dark beer and put the fire on. This may take a bit. For my part I'll try to recall old details, but not stray too far from the good parts.

Part 1

Twas the night before Christmas. Okay, not quite the night before, it was the 21st of December and I was hurtling along at 30 thousand feet towards Durango Colorado. I had made plans to purchase a 1982 Jeep Scrambler and drive it 1,200 miles home to Seattle in the middle of winter, in Colorado and I would have to do it in 3 days or miss Christmas. Plus I had my father in law with me and a stern warning from my wife that I'd better not let anything happen. Sight unseen. What could possibly go wrong?

Last edited:

Escondido

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
BOERNE
State
Tx
Not to jump your story but is this the one. I was tracking this one in Durango and always wondered where it ended up. I couldn't get up there before it sold.

scrambler.jpg

Ghostwave

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Kirkland
State
Wa
Part 2: The reveal

Descending into Durango, I had one big worry on my mind, the weather. We were between fronts and there was a weather pattern setting up threatening to drop more snow. We needed to get out of town and through Utah before the next storm hit. I had arranged an early meetup the next morning, bright and early for exactly this reason. Of course before we got out of town, we needed to pick up supplies. I had a set of chains waiting at a local store, plus I wanted to have extra oil, antifreeze, flashlights, shovel, handwarmers and whatever other emergency supplies we might prudently aquire.

Before turning into to a quick nights rest at our hotel, I ran over my checklist. Im not new to mechanical projects and I had prepared a checklist for myself. Tires, suspension, engine, body. I had decided to do the mechanical check myself. Ive bought and sold a number of boats and while I have helped others in surveying I had always been a believer of hiring out this kind of work. Even if you are mechanically qualified, you can't form an independant opinion on your own deals. I was comfortable enough with this Jeep that I was actually not worried at all about this one checking out.

The story was pretty solid. This Jeep had been built by a local tire store owner in nearby Pagosa Springs as his personal vehical, using his mechanics. Tragically, the builder had passed away and the seller had purchased it from the estate for his wife, who had decided it was just too much for her. I had found the number for the local store and talked to the mechanic who had done much of the work on the Jeep. It all sounded quite good. I had no doubt about the amount of money that had been put into this Jeep, no question it was an open checkbook affair. The hard part was knowing exactly what was in it, but with but 900 miles on the new gauge cluster, I knew it had not been used much after being put together.

Getting up bright and early, I got my coffee, packed my bags and was ready to meet the seller outside the hotel. Waiting in the cold outside, I finally stepped inside to give him a ring.
"Who is this?" "This is the guy who is buying your Scrambler, are you running late this morning?"
"huh? What time is it?"
"It's about an hour after we were suppose to meet"
"Oh my goodness, we were up really late last night at a party, I can be there in an hour..."

Strike 1

An hour later, he calls again and tells me he is trying to find another driver and would be there by noon. Fully five hours after we were supposed to meet, I'm standing down the street when I see a Jeep going down the steet that looked a lot like the pictures I had seen.

Strike 2

I look to my father in law and exclaim, hmm I think that Jeep is on a trailer.

Strike 3

My phone suddenly rings, its the number of the seller. I answer and he exclaims that he just pulled into town.

Now, there I am 1200 miles from home, with no plane ticket home and my seller just pulled into town with my shiny Jeep on a trailer. Do you see any red flags in this scenario?

Ghostwave

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Kirkland
State
Wa
Part 3: The hook.

A trailer?

"Sorry I'm late, but I thought this would be the safest way to bring the jeep out". The seller had slinked out of a large truck with a huge Fastwax logo on it. He introduced himself as being the owner of the company. The inside of the truck was a bit of a mess, and the three who got out had clearly had one hell of a bender the night before.

I really was about to walk, but we came so far that I figured I might as well take a look. So I started crawling under and around. The frame was nicely plated. I tugged on the suspension, and found no play anywhere. The tires looked brand new. The paint looked good. Under the hood I found a clean engine. I popped off the radiator cap, stuck my finger deep under the rim and came back without any goo. I felt the block and she was dead cold, the oil had enough color that it was not brand new, but no bad signs and no bad smells.

Okay, well I'm still a little skeptical, but this is actually not looking too bad. I asked him to start it up and his mechanic who was with him jumped to and started to point out this and that. He turned the key and the Edelbrock fuel injection sprang to life and it started and idled perfectly. Hmmm, I have to admit I was encouraged. Still, it was time for a ride, so me and the mechanic jumped in. Up and down the street, we did not miss a beat. This Jeep ran without a hitch. We got back about 18-20 minutes later, the engine was fully up to temp and I was back to being in love with the Jeep. So what if the seller was a flake, he had barely owned it.

So we did the deal right there in the parking lot. It was about 2 in the afternoon and I had wanted to be outside of Moab that night. We were late, and we had a storm coming. The seller knew full well that I planned to drive it home, but suddenly started warning me that I should really think about shipping it home because those tires were really not for winter. I had already researched the Mickey Thompson mts and while not the perfect snow tire, many guys had run them in snow and liked them. We were going.

Before we left it was a 5 minute ride down the street to the hardware store where we shopped for 30 minutes and picked up a shovel, some oil, antifreeze, tools and other odds and ends just in case. Next, I asked Siri to find the tire store that had the chains. We went up and down the street 5 or six times, it turns out the map had pinned the wrong location. Eventually I figured it out and a couple miles down the road we found the store. Chaos ensues as we burn another 45 minutes as the tire store tried to find the chains they had promised to hold. It's past 3:30 and we still have many miles ahead of us, and the sun is going to start sinking. The roads are currently in good shape, so I decide we are better off getting across the mountains out of Durango that day, than wait and get snowed in. We will have better luck finding chains in Moab anyway.

Back in the Jeep, we hit the highway out of town. It's going up a hill right from the get go and to make matters worse, above about 50 she is a bit to handle on the compact snow though traction is fine, the alignment is clearly out. I note that the temp gauge is not reading correctly, and make a mental note that we should add that to the list for the next parts store. The transmission gauge is working, but I'm not sure what that should be running. I'm simply trying to take stock of what is reading what, so I can later use that as a point of reference. Going up the hill at 45-55, I'm right between gears on the th350, revving high and then low, rinse, repeat. Every time she shifts, I have to steady the wheel. Somewhere in the back of my mind the figure 1,200 miles keeps registering. I've gone about ten miles and its two handed driving. We push on. We get to the first small crest and get to coast a bit before the next climb. I note that the transmission temp has not stabilized yet, but is pushing towards 200 degrees. Hmmm, make a mental note as to when that stabilizes, after all were just going up and up. As we get to the top of the first incline I also note the first mini ski area. I wish we had time to stop and take a few pictures, but our precious daylight is burning. As I turn to say something to my father in law, our eyes suddenly meet with a strange glance. Did you just hear that? "I thought I felt a miss, was it just the road?"
"Kack!"
"Ka-Ka-Kack"
I turn and look again and in an instant I proclaim that we are turning around. Luckily, there is room to do this in the middle of the road and right round we go. No discussion. No second guess. Soon we are back to the recreation area and I pull off. Just as I come to a stop, the jeep dies completely.

With no small amount of disbelief I call the sellers number, he does not answer so I leave a message. "Hey, my Jeep just died and I'm only 15 miles out of town, what's going on?"

Sitting there, we realize that the sun is almost down and we are sitting on the side of a mountain, in winter. Suddenly our adventure did not seem so bright. I tried the ignition and she started. I did not even think twice and got her on the road. One mile down the road and it was downhill the rest of the way back to Durango. She died three more times going down the hill. The steering would get stiff and the hydro boost, I learned quickly was only good for a couple presses before she was terribly hard to stop. Each time she would start, she would run worse and worse. With perseverance we made it to the bottom of the hill and the end of the highway. Luck saw the traffic light green as we got off the highway and right back to the parking lot we had departed from. I came to a stop in a parking spot and the Jeep died, but for the first time would not start.

We felt fortunate to be back to relative safety. I picked up my phone and noted I had a message from the seller. Playing it back, I heard the following "I don't know what's wrong with YOUR Jeep", with a snickering emphasis on the word your. I had been had, hook line and sinker.

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
Holy Crud. Don't stop now. I need more to read!!!! And yes, I am glad that you are still around to tell this a couple of years later, so I assume we get a happy ending.

Ghostwave

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Kirkland
State
Wa
Part 4: Marooned

Stardate December 22, 2012. It's three days before Christmas and I find myself sitting in a parking lot in Durango Colorado in an expensive Jeep that does not run. By the tone of the words "YOUR Jeep" from the message from the seller, I knew in an instant that trying to find what was wrong with this Jeep and fix it and be on our merry way by morning was somehow not going to be an option. Things happen, parts break, but in this situation I knew it was not going to be simple. I did not even try and for those who know me, that seems like a very odd thing. But I knew. I knew it as well as anything I've ever known. The sun has gone down, its getting cold and I can't even start my engine for a little heat.

I'm not worried about freezing to death. That's a blessing, and we felt rather fortunate that we somehow made if off the Mountain before nightfall. But worried I am. It does not take long for both me and my father in law to realize we are truly between a rock and a hard place. I've got to make a phone call. I don't want to do it, but there is no mistaking our circumstance. We are 1,200 miles from home. We have no hotel reservations. We have no plane tickets and its three days before Christmas. We felt like two rather insignificant beings in a very big, and cold, cruel world.

Now, I try my best to actually live my life. I don't always take the easy road and I try not to let the evil in this world change me. Had I dwelt upon it at the time, I might have held my head in shame. Clearly I had let my guard down. Mistakes were made and the wrong kinds of risks accepted. The good news was that there was little time for self pity, so I did not have time to dwell on it, at least not then.

Let me tell you a bit of an anecdote if you don't mind. It's a story my father has been quite fond of telling. Many years ago just starting out, he had bought a used car and a couple miles down the road suddenly found himself in a dead vehicle just as the red light turned green. Of course, cars were honking sure enough but nobody could care enough to help him push the car out of the intersection. Fully ten cars back, one driver decided to get out, walk all the way to the front and see if he could help whoever was blocking the intersection. As it turns out, the good samaritan was my grandfather not knowing who he was going to help. So I guess you either harden your heart and become the horn honker, or you keep your heart open and accept a little more risk than most and be willing to be part of this world. I try to remember stories like that at times like these and try to remember that I have some very tall shoes to try to fill.

I finally pick up the phone. I make the call. "Why did you turn around already?" I had forgotten about the SPOT tracking device that I had activated on the way out to Durango. Turns out my wife and her mother had been watching our progress and already knew something was up. "You only made it twelve miles?" "Fifteen actually" I corrected. In my mind then, and now, those extra three miles count. "Were sitting in a parking lot in Durango and the Jeep has died completely, we need to try to get a flight", I said. There was no way I was chancing 1,200 miles in 3 days at this point. Ten minutes later my wife calls back and miracle of miracles she says that she has us booked on a flight out of Durango in a little over 3 hours! Wow! Three days before Christmas and we were going to get on an airplane later that night. Christmas truly came early.

The rest of that night is a bit of a blur. We eventually found an exceptionally helpful guy with a tow truck who after hearing our story was all too willing to store the Jeep in a safe place in his yard until I had shipping arrangements made. I got on the phone to the cab driver who had picked us up the following evening and he insisted on hearing the story and getting us to the airport that night. Since we were just a few blocks from downtown, we rolled our luggage down to a Mexican restaurant that had the best steaks in town. Turns out, they were not kidding. Finally a little after midnight, we stepped off our plane in Seattle, safe and sound, Christmas rescued.
Jeep.jpg

Last edited:

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
Looks nice. I know that you have more pictures.

Ghostwave

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Kirkland
State
Wa
Part 5: Back in seattle

Two failed attempts to ship the Jeep back to Seattle, but by late January the phone rings and the Jeep is arriving within the hour. The carrier arrives and I plan my attack for coasting down the driveway and hopefully into the garage. I climb in the window and on a whim try the ignition key. The Jeep starts right up and idles without a problem. I pull it out of the carrier, down the drive a park it!

Hey, this Jeep is running after all!

First things first, I order the right temp sender for the gauge cluster and take her for a longer spin. It doesn't take long before I'm back on the side of the road with a dead engine. Aha! I'm dealing with a heat soak issue. The Jeep would run perfectly for a pretty consistent 25-30 minutes. Let it cool for 45 minutes and she would run again.

Since this story is already too long I'll cut to the chase. It took about six months working through the fuel system, electrical, and ignition, not to mention a few calls with Edelbrock and shipping the computer back for testing. In the end I found quite a number of small issues, but two critical ones that caused the heat soak symptoms.

The first critical issue was a bad circuit hidden in a xxx I had pulled and checked three times before dismantling completely and finding the culprit. I'm withholding one detail here in case anyone wants to challenge me (pay to play if the seller ever wants to find out). The second issue that I found out the moment I could drive the Jeep more than 25 minutes was a wrong direction water pump.

So finally on my workbench I had two separate components that led me to one unavoidable conclusion. The seller who had promised me a vehicle that was ready to drive 1,200 miles had never once been capable of driving this Jeep for more than 25 minutes. That conclusion is a mechanically proven fact. I guess is no real surprise and met my instincts, but there was something more tangible having those two parts sitting there, telling me not just what had happened mechanically, but beyond any reasonable conclusion I could ever entertain as to the sellers intent as well.

Cars can be fixed. Reputations? Not so easily.

Ghostwave

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Kirkland
State
Wa
Part 6: Rebuild

Since getting the critical issues worked out, I dove into many other areas. To set a theme, this Jeep had been built with many nice parts, but I could often see some kind of rush to put it all together. I don't know what it's state was when the owner passed away, but it seems clear that this Jeep had never been really finished. Plus, there is always the need and want to make it your own. So in the past year or so, I've torn apart and often replaced many systems on her. The nice thing is that cosmetically, I've done very little other than fitting a soft top.

Here is a partial list of the projects I've completed:
-new hydro boost
- all new brake lines
-rebuilt all calipers
-new steering shaft joints
-wheels balanced
-cleaned up all electrical wiring
-put in a new camshaft
-all new cooling system
-new transmission cooler
-swapped th350 for 700r4
-extensive efi programming
- wide band oxygen sensor
- new spark wires
-complete new ignition components
-complete new fuel system components
-serpentine belt system
-all new accessories, water pump, power steering, alternator

I'm sure I'm missing some things, but I've finally achieved a nice looking, and fairly reliable ride. Not just good components, but components that are working well as a system.

Al is well that ends well!

More pics when I get back to an actual computer.

Ghostwave

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Kirkland
State
Wa
1982 Scrambler
4.56 gears
Atlas Transfer Case
35 Mickey Thompson MT's
5.7 Chevy
700r4
Dana 30/AMC 20 with hardened shafts
Detroit Lockers
Dakota Digital Gauges

Jeep2.jpgJeep3.jpgJeep4.jpgJeep5.jpgJeep 6.jpgJeep7.jpg

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
You have been busy. Great story.

MrBeep

CJ-8 Vendor Supporter
SOA Member
CJ-8.com Vendor
City
Dillsboro
State
IN
Persistance pays off. Beautiful Scrambler. :thumbsup: :wave:

Polarfire

Jeep Aficionado
Lifetime Member
City
Columbia
State
MO
Wow, great story! One to laugh about after you've been through it!

I love your wheels! What brand are they?

Ghostwave

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Kirkland
State
Wa
The wheels are American Racing. I guess in the end that I still get the benefit of "feeling" like I built it given the amount of work that went into it, even though I can't take credit for the original vision. It's too bad that I never got to talk with the original owner before he died, as you can tell there was a lot of love dumped into it.

Sure is a lot of fun now that she's back to being happy.

What do you guys think about the white top with the black tonneau? I thought it might clash, but after it was on I've grown to like the look. I'm crazy about the half soft top. I got it new old stock from our resident here Jallen. Awesome guy, he sent me some diagrams so I could trace the shape of the windshield brackets and I made a half credible pair out of stainless. I have a second older white top that I put on for the winter. Not sure if I'm going to go back to the fiberglass in future years or not. I just really like the soft top.

After I got rid of the Postal earlier this year to another member, I did keep the top. I still have plans to fit that too.