• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Aaron's CJ8 Rebuild back from 15 years on the farm.

YJ_Aaron

Basic User
City
Ozark
State
MO
I thought I should start a build thread to keep track of what's going on with my newly acquired CJ-8. This is my 15th jeep, and my 4th scrambler but will be the first one I've actually done any kind of build up with. The goal for this build will be a street jeep to teach my wife how to drive a manual (wish me luck/pray for me), very light trail duty, and lots of street miles enjoying an old school jeep.

State as of purchase:
1982 Scrambler last inspected/insured 2002.
Looks to be 86,000 miles on it with lots on the to do list.
Not running, lots of fluids leaking, rusty floors, and $4.00 worth of foaming brush and spray at the car wash.

Day 1 in shop:
Vacuumed up the interior.
Filled cylinders with marvel mystery oil and PB Blaster
Removed Doors.
Swapped oil filter and top of oil and coolant.

Day 2 in shop:
Lots of buddies from the jeep club dropped by to get the jeep running.
Within 30 minutes jeep was running on starting fluid and under it's own fuel system in an hour.
Moved under it's own power out of the shop and back in!
ISSUES: Water temp sending unit pegs gauge instantly, valve cover melted from fire (lots of small issues there), was leaking 1 qt an hour out of the valve cover.

Ordered new OMIXADA aluminum valve cover with gasket, new coolant over flow tank, side marker light, vacuum plugs, and temp sending unit.

We've removed a lot of the smog stuff and factory air cleaner currently looking for a small aftermarket air cleaner with PCV inlet. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Pics to come in next post once I get them added to photobucket.

YJ_Aaron

Basic User
City
Ozark
State
MO
Here's a quick shot of my current YJ with CJ front clip and tailgate conversion. This was done after last winters rebuild and paint. Lots of trail abuse since.

YJ_Aaron

Basic User
City
Ozark
State
MO

Current State of Engine Compartment after tracing leak.

Needs floor boards.

Shot of the working side of the shop while working on the bosses 2010 Rubicon.

Melted parts from it sitting near a barn that burned.

Jeeperdd

CJ-8 Member
Silver Member
SOA Member
City
Gordonsville
State
VA
Slate blue interior Nice! That looks like an awesome barn find.

YJ_Aaron

Basic User
City
Ozark
State
MO
Thanks man. I'm excited to see it progress.

Parts have started to arrive so the holiday should be busy!

New valve cover, coolant overflow tank, and door handles (handles donated by a buddy).

YJ_Aaron

Basic User
City
Ozark
State
MO
Spent today in the shop working to get it drive able.

changed temp sending unit.

Got head drilled and tapped, going to pickup a washer as bolts are a little long

New over flow bottle in place

What is this supposed to be under dash? Ash tray?

New brake lights installed off an 06 tj.

Last edited:

don87401

Original Owner
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Farmington
State
NM
Don't look now but you have one lens upside down. Make sure you change the correct one, have to have the backup lite behind the clear part.

opelgtboy

Legacy Registered User
City
Glassboro
State
NJ
That thing under the dash is for the fresh air to hit you. It directs it when you open the vent.

Karl

YJ_Aaron

Basic User
City
Ozark
State
MO
Thanks guys. Today was clean out bed, fix brake light, and change oil. Also drained different and checked rear brakes. Want to test drive soon.

I'm debating selling rocker trim and putting sliders on it. Stay tuned if I do sell I'll post it up.

YJ_Aaron

Basic User
City
Ozark
State
MO
CJ8 progress has been slow, lifted a jku yesterday instead. Approaching a crossroad on what I want to do with cj8. I need to start regearing my axles which means decide on lift and tires.

Going to pull side trim soon and list it for sale.

What's the biggest tire anyone has mounted on roll bar?
For mild off road use (have other jeep for hard playing) is it worth building 20 or should I search out wide track 44?
Anyone make nice rocker protection with step besides poison spyder?

YJ_Aaron

Basic User
City
Ozark
State
MO
Local pick n pull had a decent 77 cj7. Picked up a good grill and tailgate. Hoping to do test drive this saturday.

YJ_Aaron

Basic User
City
Ozark
State
MO
Today I picked up a hydro boost brake setup for $53, and a 2150 carb for another $24. Not sure if I'll use either but I like options.

Working on getting test drive ready, today that meant new water pump from OReillys luckily it was in Stock so maybe next weekend. No updated pics since hasn't visually changed.

YJ_Aaron

Basic User
City
Ozark
State
MO
Well tonight I started pulling my roll bar. It's welded to bed floor so no clue how long this Will take.

YJ_Aaron

Basic User
City
Ozark
State
MO
Saturday was a good day in the shop, we got the Jeep ready for its first test drive which went ok. Second one went better, but the issues became apparent when I got back. Sizable oil leak and exhaust leaks, but it will run and drive. Decided to go ahead and start full tear down with help from my group of jeep buddies. There are about 8 of us total that have built some coll stuff together. Pics below are from after dinner, need to w ed Le nuts on two windshield bolts as torx were stripped. I know real shocker huh?

YJ_Aaron

Basic User
City
Ozark
State
MO
Well I've now hit crossroads on what to do power train wise. I've got everything for re gear but carriers on the way here. Engine runs and doesn't even smoke but I don't like it.

I'm debating engine and transmission swap. I work for one of the largest engine manufacturers in the country and am really thinking gm 5.7 or 6.2. We don't do the ls or I'd go that route. Just not sure if I'd like those or a stroker 4.0 more. Any advice?

Also what would you all think my current powertrain is worth? Does need a new oil pan gasket.

jammer1

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Maple Hts.
State
Oh
It all counts on what you want to do with it. I have a built chevy 350 in the cj7 and undecided on the 401 (sitting on the shelf to have rebuilt) or go with another chevy 350. If it's the older 350 you won't get the mileage that you would get with the newer chevy v8s. But cheaper to install (and much easier). I see some of the guys with the 4.0's and 4.2 getting 20mpg (I'll never see that with the 350 even though I have a turbo 400 behind it so the overdrive would help). I just don't drive it enough to go through the cost of a new trans and drive shafts. I should have mentioned the decision on the 401 and the 350 is for the cj8 that I'm building. It just counts on what you want and what you can get at a decent price. I can tell you one thing it's a blast to punch the cj7 and have to hold on to the steering wheel to keep her going straight. As to what its worth, it counts on what you have (gears for example). If someone is looking to do a re-gear and you have 4.10s it's worth more than someone who has 2.73s. Look through the classified section of the forum (might have to go back a little) and you may find some that people have sold to give you a idea.