• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Colorado Bound Scrambler

Cpittman428

Basic User
City
Fort Collins
State
CO
This is overdue but I haven't really done much (or needed to do much) to warrant a build thread yet... Mostly just dreaming and building in my head. So this is mostly just a past due introduction....

Quick Jeep history... I'm 31 and bought my first Jeep when I was 15 so I've been a Jeeper for about half my existence. For time's sake I'll just stick to the simple details and throw a pic or two here and there. (Disclaimer- many of these pics are iPhone pics of actual pictures... 😕)

Jeep 1- 88 YJ- rolled learning to drive stick and I've never been the same... Had it rebuilt and lifted to fit 33s then 36s but with stock drivetrain. My High School ride! Sold on eBay to Florida.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421082252.011601.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421082266.161807.jpg

Jeep 2- bought 97 TJ on eBay from Texas (right before college) already running 33s and added mild mods and 35s... TrailReady lexan Stealth Top till the back window broke for no reason (also found on eBay years after they quit production), sold locally.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421082284.128038.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421082396.776984.jpg

Jeep 3- 04 LJ- bought locally (right before graduating college) with 4" lift and 33s then squeezed 36s and then 35s under it. Added mild engine mods and a bought hard top. Sold to chiefwaho's cousin (St. Louis MO area) on the same day I bought Jeep 4..... (But had a week in between with no Jeep!!😱 that's the only time since 1999 that I haven't had some overlap between Jeeps!)
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421082434.793856.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421082461.793069.jpg

Jeep 4- 84 Scrambler- out of MI, (unknown mileage, odometer rolls about as fast as the tires!) 35s, 4" suspension lift with shackle reversal, 1" body lift, Dana 44s w/4.88 front and rear, Detroit locker in the rear, Chevy 350, aluminum radiator, electric fan, T176, twin stick Dana 300, from what little I learned from PO (that I think knew what he was doing, but we had a pretty quick sale/and pickup) most of rebuild and mods done spring 2013?, found this one on here/Craigslist.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421082488.342667.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421082547.659754.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421082635.826720.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421082659.444085.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421082675.959808.jpg

This Scrambler is BY FAR my favorite of all the Jeeps I've owned or driven (my parents have a '10 JKU Sahara that I constantly threaten to steal!). This Scrambler is already great but I still have more plans for it. So far all I've had to do is fix some grounding issues with the lights and heater, new mirrors, new shifter boot plus twin stick boot grafting, new water neck to replace cracked one, upgraded to Delta xenon h4 headlights, ProComp 130 SS auxiliary lights, and upgraded to full doors (Merry Christmas/happy birthday to me from ME)!

As all Jeeps are, this is a work in progress... I plan to keep the stock body lines but that's about all that will stay that way. I plan on eventually running 37 inch tires, beadlocks, a full cage, full hard and soft tops, custom dash, adding a stereo and speakers, rear corner armor, bumpers, new paint, and whatever else I'm convinced to do while lurking/drooling over the other build threads on here. I haven't done much 'wheeling here in the flat east central Illinois land I have called home my whole life, but will be moving to Colorado (north of Denver area) as soon as our house sells.... And plan on hitting trails there as soon as we are settled and I locate some fun spots/local Jeep guys. As previously mentioned I have been deep into Jeeps for half my life but other than basic bolt on's I'm no expert when it comes to electrical, drivetrain, bodywork, welding, painting, or anything else major.... But I LOVE Jeeps and hope to learn more about how to do my own work on them. I have already learned more about actually working on Jeeps from this forum than any of the zillions of magazines I purchased as a youngster/pre-Scrambler owner and I hope to put that knowledge to use in the future.

STAY TUNED!!... This thread probably won't get updated very frequently but I'll try to remember to take lots of pictures as I slowly add things to this already amazing Jeep to build the perfect (to me) Scrambler!

b.b.chev

Legacy Registered User
City
Black Forest
State
CO
That's a nice looking scrambler , post up when you get settled in Colorado and hopefully Challenger will have his postal back together by then and we can get together.

Cpittman428

Basic User
City
Fort Collins
State
CO
Carpeted my Craigslist find Tuffy rear cargo box..
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421969688.192180.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421969702.627200.jpg
And got it mounted it today...
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421969723.510641.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421969732.927309.jpg
I love it!.................

But..... I just got off the phone with a nice gentleman with the Colorado State Technical Center who gave me some bad news...... After about 25 minutes of discussion it doesn't sound like its going to be cost effective/time efficient/healthy to try to get my 84 Scrambler with a 75 Chevy 350 to pass the emissions standards!!!!

So I need some input from all you Scrambler/emissions veterans..... I really want to stick with a V8, I've already spent hours reading build threads and it looks like my best option is to swap a 5.3 Vortec and 4L60E in....

Input from anyone else battling the emissions demons with their engine swap would be much appreciated...

b.b.chev

Legacy Registered User
City
Black Forest
State
CO
What were the issues with getting it to pass emissions ? The way Colorado emission laws are written the vehicle has to pass the standards of the engine year or body year whichever is newer. I would never want to steer you away from an LS engine but it may be a lot more work to get it to pass.

b.b.chev

Legacy Registered User
City
Black Forest
State
CO
By the way that's a nice box , I wasn't aware that they had two doors on them.

Cpittman428

Basic User
City
Fort Collins
State
CO
What were the issues with getting it to pass emissions ? The way Colorado emission laws are written the vehicle has to pass the standards of the engine year or body year whichever is newer. I would never want to steer you away from an LS engine but it may be a lot more work to get it to pass.

What I gathered from the conversation was that I would have to add a full spectrum feedback system, check engine light, O2 sensors, evap, air pump, catalytic converters, etc to get the 350 up to the standards that a stock 84 scrambler would have to pass. Even then he said that it still may not pass and suggested upgrading with a fuel injection kit for multiple reasons, one being that it might pass easier. I haven't really priced doing all that yet but it just seems like buying a complete engine (and possibly transmission) makes more sense. That seems to be the big answer from the Jeep/Vortec crowd to everybody's questions on here when it comes to engine swaps/fuel injection upgrades/etc. I could be wrong but I have a feeling it's going to cost quite a bit to get my current engine up to standard anyways so to save myself trouble down the road I figured I'd look into the swap now. I have a few contacts locally that can probably find the engine/transmission for a good price but installing it is beyond my skill level/equipment owned. I was hoping this Jeep was going to be the one that I used to learn the skills needed to do full projects like this but it seems that the circumstances surrounding selling our house, moving, and now this dilemma have thrown me a change-up and I'll have to put that on hold. I do see your point that the standard that the Vortec would have to pass is higher, I will have to weigh that option. That's why I was seeking advise from the experts on here.
Thanks for the input.

martinfan

Legacy Registered User
City
Millville
State
nj
What about a Holley or Edelbrock fuel system? Although not cheap its another alternative be nice to have all new FI for the MILE HIGH stuff. Or maybe its gonna be to much trouble to get it passed the BS. You could just sell that thing to me! Either way good luck and keep the pictures coming, nice looking Jeep!

MrBeep

CJ-8 Vendor Supporter
SOA Member
CJ-8.com Vendor
City
Dillsboro
State
IN
I agree with late model swap on the premiss you would have a diner vehicle for a plug and play conversion with all the sensors, computers, wiring and such. The Adams family have got that down to an art now. Just my 2 cents. :thumbsup:

Beautiful Scrambler! :wave:

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
The 5.3 swap is downright amazing...but not cheap. My experience with emissions is that the engine has to pass the standards of the donor vehicle. (Colorado may be different, IDK) Install a TBI system from an 88-up 350 GM truck- some of them didn't have smog pumps, and it's a pretty straightforward upgrade. Use the truck air cleaner for system verification through the decal. Keep the cat, you should be able to get it to pass. That system is a lot simpler than the 5.3. All you really have to swap is the intake manifold with accessories, and add an inline fuel pump. Everything else is bolt on/wiring.

That said, if you can swing the 5.3, do it. You won't be dissatisfied.

Cpittman428

Basic User
City
Fort Collins
State
CO
What about a Holley or Edelbrock fuel system? Although not cheap its another alternative be nice to have all new FI for the MILE HIGH stuff. Or maybe its gonna be to much trouble to get it passed the BS. You could just sell that thing to me! Either way good luck and keep the pictures coming, nice looking Jeep!

Martinfan- 😱 don't say the "S" word! Hahaha! S*lling it is the absolute last ditch option here! But should the unspeakable happen the battle will take place on cj8.com. And thanks for the compliment!

I agree with late model swap on the premiss you would have a diner vehicle for a plug and play conversion with all the sensors, computers, wiring and such. The Adams family have got that down to an art now. Just my 2 cents. :thumbsup:

Beautiful Scrambler! :wave:

Mr. Beep- thanks for your 2 cents they will be spent wisely. And thanks for the compliment!

The 5.3 swap is downright amazing...but not cheap. My experience with emissions is that the engine has to pass the standards of the donor vehicle. (Colorado may be different, IDK) Install a TBI system from an 88-up 350 GM truck- some of them didn't have smog pumps, and it's a pretty straightforward upgrade. Use the truck air cleaner for system verification through the decal. Keep the cat, you should be able to get it to pass. That system is a lot simpler than the 5.3. All you really have to swap is the intake manifold with accessories, and add an inline fuel pump. Everything else is bolt on/wiring.

That said, if you can swing the 5.3, do it. You won't be dissatisfied.

Randy- your threads and posts have been a valuable source of info in my quest. If I had your experience and tools (or lived close enough to you!) I would already be mid-swap!! And you are somewhat correct on the CO rule.. Theirs states that it must pass whichever is newer so in my case as it sits now the engine out of a 1975 Concorde Motorhome has to pass what the stock 84 Scrambler would have. I will look into the TBI setup as well. Thank you a PM might be coming your way but for now I have to return a phone call to someone who may be interested in buying my house so I can point my wagons west to the Rockies!

b.b.chev

Legacy Registered User
City
Black Forest
State
CO
I've done two of the LS swaps myself and they aren't really that hard to do , I also live in a county that doesn't require emissions. That being said neither of the swaps are considered compliant. Deal with your home sale and move, after your settled in get in touch with me and I can help you look into the emissions.

LetchcoreCJ7

Legacy Registered User
City
Nashville
State
TN
An LS swap will be 6k minimum. Only 1500 or so to fuel inject your 350. If you got the cash LS all the way.

trust

PITA
City
White Rock
State
NM
I'm with Dave, find acounty that is not an air quality non attainment areaand try to register it there where there is no emissions inspection, at least until you get your feet on the grouond and figure out what you really want/need to do to be compliant.

Where are you planning to land in Colo? If its the front range you may be hosed but if you can get away with an area outside the Pueblo to Ft Collins belt you might be okas is

Escondido

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
BOERNE
State
Tx
In Gunnison County all you need is a VIN verification which you get at the county office and your insurance to get registered. No emissions test. I don't know if there are any areas north of Denver that have the same regs. Any family or friends that would let you register at their property that live in Western Colorado. Your mailing address can be your home address.

Cpittman428

Basic User
City
Fort Collins
State
CO
To answer the last two questions/suggestions... I will almost definitely be living on the front range. And most likely between Fort Collins and Denver for a minimum of a year. My only contacts out there are Fort Collins (sister and her in-laws.)
Also just to shed a little more light to my decision making process. At some point after the move I will be commuting to Denver once a week for 6 weeks for training (not too much after that hopefully).... So I was already looking into an automatic w/overdrive or a five speed to assist with the higher RPMs from the 4.88s. Also to battle the high altitude I was planning on upgrading to fuel injection as well. So I figured looking into these two upgrades already I should consider the total package upgrade now. And with tax returns starting the funding, and when I leave my current job I will be getting paid for my unused vacation it should take a huge chunk out of the total funds needed... Luckily my wife is kinda onboard since it was not a planned step in the move but money well spent in the long run no matter what option I take.
Also going to a shop about 45 minutes from here tomorrow to talk to a guy who races Jeeps and is currently putting a 5.3 in a JK. Yeah I know a JK isn't a CJ but I just want to see if he is capable of handling the swap if I go that route.
Stay tuned...

Cpittman428

Basic User
City
Fort Collins
State
CO
Well... The shop I went to today is totally legit. The owner is definitely capable of the swap... He's got a JK that he's putting a 5.3 4L80 in and a complete frame off restomod aluminum body 71 FJ that he's putting a 5.3 and NV4500 in and his daughter's CJ7 with a 4.0 swap in just one wing of his shop... The FJ was immaculate! However he only does reman engines and transmissions so he is out of my price range! Oh and did I mention he's racing in the King of Hammers race next week!

walkerhoundvm

Just trying to stay upright
Lifetime Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
I'm a transplant from FoCo. I went with fuel injection, and it's gotta be the Howell kit to pass - CARB compliance and all. Besides that, you're gonna love CO. It was the very best place I've ever lived and we are trying to get back as close to there as possible as soon as possible.

You could find a spot in Weld county (Greeley, Ault, even parts of Wellington), I think those are *currently* outside of the emissions areas. But there's some rule about driving more than X% of the time in an emissions county that you have to be careful of. Not that the emissions police are going to wait at the boundaries and time your visits, but still.

Congratulations on changing latitudes, you'll very quickly find out that it changes your attitude. If you need any input on the FoCo/Loveland area, let me know. I still have quite a few friends in the area and go back frequently.

If you need a place to stop on the way, and you're heading through Kansas on I70, also let me know. I'm about 20min off the interstate.

Cpittman428

Basic User
City
Fort Collins
State
CO
I'm a transplant from FoCo. I went with fuel injection, and it's gotta be the Howell kit to pass - CARB compliance and all. Besides that, you're gonna love CO. It was the very best place I've ever lived and we are trying to get back as close to there as possible as soon as possible.

You could find a spot in Weld county (Greeley, Ault, even parts of Wellington), I think those are *currently* outside of the emissions areas. But there's some rule about driving more than X% of the time in an emissions county that you have to be careful of. Not that the emissions police are going to wait at the boundaries and time your visits, but still.

Congratulations on changing latitudes, you'll very quickly find out that it changes your attitude. If you need any input on the FoCo/Loveland area, let me know. I still have quite a few friends in the area and go back frequently.

If you need a place to stop on the way, and you're heading through Kansas on I70, also let me know. I'm about 20min off the interstate.

Thanks for the advise! And thanks for the encouragement! I know once I get out there and get this engine/emissions issue resolved its going to be great...