• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Warn "W" Stamped 8274 Mount Question

Rosco1974

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Oklahoma City
State
OK
So, in my quest for an 8274 I found a pretty clean one with controller for $100. Everything works. Just needed cleaning.
2014-12-24 17.29.30.jpg

Thinking I would never find an original "W" stamped mount I ordered a new Warn 11310. Then I blew the winch apart to clean/paint/change seals, etc to match the new mount. Not 3 days after receiving the new mount I came across this 8274 and mount:
20150121_215248.jpg

The mount did not come with the side plates.

1) Does anyone know if the current 11310 side plates fit the old top plate?

2) I have not been able to find back side pics of one with the extra outer square punched holes. Assuming these are for the marker lights. Are there mounting brackets for the lights or am I missing something?

Thanks.

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
I do know that the newer side plates work the with old top plate.

I had a newer 11310 mount on the tan Jeep, and an X8000i mounted on the green Jeep. Can move the 11310 plate, the W 8274 plate, and the X8000i plate all around. Same mounting pattern on all.

Not sure about the marker lights.

One thing I do NOT like about the W stamped plate is it centers the fairlead, which puts the brake pawl right on top of the right turn signal. I haven't decided for sure, but I'm likely going to get rid of my W marked plate or put it on Dad's Scrambler and buy another 11310 for my green '7. Not as "correct" but I like the winch centered much better.

Note that the first post in the 2nd link (Jeepforum) that the OP has a "W" marked plate that isn't as wide as mine and yours, allowing for aux turn signals

https://www.cj-8.com/forum/showthread.php?42724-quot-w-quot-marked-8274-winch-plate

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/warn-8274-hawse-fairlead-bolt-what-kind-evil-2374337/

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/8...y-turn-signals-solution-1705250/#post17022706

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/w...at-kind-evil-2374337/index2.html#post24245282

Polarfire

Jeep Aficionado
Lifetime Member
City
Columbia
State
MO
I believe the aux turn signals attach to the diagonal support braces on either side.

Rosco1974

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Oklahoma City
State
OK
Thanks WM69. I was hoping that was the case and is confirmed. I finally got a chance to mock up with my 11310 side plates and see where the holes line up perfectly. I called Warn and while the side plates do not have Part Numbers, they will make a set and ship them for $80.
20150122_203025.jpg20150122_203036.jpg

The brake pawl issue does not bother me too much, but the turn signal light mount does. There is a significant distance difference to the end in this old "wide" stamped plate and the old "narrow" and new 11310 plate.
20150122_202809hjhj.jpg20150122_203431.jpg

Even if I fab up some L-shaped brackets for turn signals that can bolt through those holes it may look odd being so close to fog lights.
20150122_202513.jpg

Not sure what I am going to do now. Was so excited for the "W" plate, but have some choices to make.

Rosco1974

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Oklahoma City
State
OK
I still wonder what those outer holes are for. Also, were some of these old plates chromed? The black paint is chipping off and its chrome underneath. You can see it in the backside pic above. ??

Craner8

CJ-8 Member
Silver Member
City
Orlando
State
FL
Rosco1974, looks like you got the deal of the day with that 8274. Good luck with the install.

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
Than

Not sure what I am going to do now. Was so excited for the "W" plate, but have some choices to make.

Yep. I wanted to go original, but really like the newer plate style better than the old W marked one. It's mounted for now, but at some point I'll probably get a new plate.

Rosco1974

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Oklahoma City
State
OK
This is a pic I found of a '79 plate. There are some brackets on the side that the turn signal posts attach to. These wide plates do not have holes through the supports as they are too far inboard. Does anyone have a pic of these brackets? Thanks. 79 Cj 8274 mount.jpg

trust

PITA
City
White Rock
State
NM
Has anyone mounted their 8274 down between the frame rails wiyh the fairlead through the bumper? Im intrigued by that mount but would like to see how its been done. I did see a flatty done that way but id like yo see it on a cj

Thanks

Rosco1974

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Oklahoma City
State
OK
I recently found a fresh one with the lights still mounted to the plate. The brackets would be easy enough to fab. Just odd that I have not come across any that still had these plates.
20160315_150207_resized.jpg20160315_150217_resized.jpg20160315_150303_resized.jpg

BRKLYNZ28

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
BROOKLYN
State
NY
Those light plates are on the list of things to find or make also..

Sent from my SM-N910P