• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Spring Project Help Me Fix My Front End

tower210

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Olathe
State
KS
When I built my Jeep a few years back, like most of us, I had to make financial choices to keep the budget at just "crazy" and not spill over into "insane". One of these items was putting on a set of stock YJ spring with conversion shackles (There was a reversal on it to begin with). I think that the SR kit adds 1/2" lift, and the RE conversion shackles added about the same. At last year's Jeepin' adventure, it did really well, flexing an insane amount and always keeping tires on something. As best as I could tell, the rear never allowed the tires to contact anything the whole trip. The front seemed to be a slightly different story (see pictures next post). When I would drive into a large (8" or bigger) obstacle (even very slowly) I think that the front springs were inverting - causing the tires to contact the front fenders about 6" up from the bottom.

Known Items
Tires - 265 / 75 / 16 (31.75" diameter)
258 / T5 / D300
Shackle Reversal Kit (plan to keep)
" travel on front shocks
" to bump stops
30" spring OD at front (pivot for springs on SR system)
30.5" spring OD at back (measured at shackles)
21.75" Frame to ground at front (weight on it , no driver or gear)
20.25" Frame to ground at rear (weight on it, no driver or gear)

I am looking at replacing the front YJ springs with custom ALCAN's, but I want to do it just right. When I look at my front drive shaft, it appears to only have 3/16 to 1/4 inch of inward travel available (I think this is a big problem).

I am thinking that I want to add about 1" of lift in front and back, but really I want a setup that can't /won't rub.

- Can I / Should I move the front axle forward (center in wheel wells a bit)?

- What are the ramifications of this?

- Is it possibly as easy as custom springs that have the mount point 1" (or less) forward of center of arch?

tower210

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Olathe
State
KS
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425137670.597314.jpg

This picture shows the position of the front tires in the front wheel wells. I've seen other CJ's that appear to be biased towards the rear of the opening, but I think mine is worse than most.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425137702.632390.jpg

Shows the SR Kit. It is heck-for-stout.

Last edited:

tower210

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Olathe
State
KS
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425137742.985262.jpg

I didn't perform the SR, but I think the holes in beyond the shackle mount were the original spring pivots.......

The back of the springs is 1/2 wide than at the front......

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425137783.238860.jpg

This picture scares me..... It wasn't this bad 2 years ago. Not sure how much should be visible, but pretty sure it's more than im showing.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425137818.958018.jpg

Rubbing marks

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425137865.146503.jpg

More rubbing marks, the above fender marks only grabs at extreme steering angles, this set is the spring inversion set

Last edited:

YJ_Aaron

Basic User
City
Ozark
State
MO
Are you running a front bump stop at all? Drives shift is definitely to long if that's at ride height.

tower210

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Olathe
State
KS
I do have bump stops.... They are sprightly less than the shock travel.

How much drive shaft slip should I have?

mysunnshine

Legacy Registered User
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
If you want to keep the springs, about your only option is to forward offset the axle. That also will help your driveshaft slip length.

tower210

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Olathe
State
KS
If you want to keep the springs, about your only option is to forward offset the axle. That also will help your driveshaft slip length.

I have saved up money and am prepared to order new springs; can I order Alcan's that have the axle pad mount 1" forward of the stock springs; with somewhat more lift? Will this cause strange suspension problems?

What ramifications will this have on steering, other items?

Where is the front axle located on a stock scrambler?

mysunnshine

Legacy Registered User
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Being spring over, you really have to watch out for spring wrap under power. I personally would cut off/modify the front spring hanger and move it forward. The problem is that you will start having pitman arm to tie rod clearance issues depending on how forward you go. Custom springs are cool but you get into the "one off" special parts category which means they become miserable for replacement parts when they break. I'd also guess that Alcan will have a thick spring pack which will also add lift being spring over too.

tower210

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Olathe
State
KS
I am spring under (I should have specified).

I was going to keep it spring under.

mysunnshine

Legacy Registered User
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
I'd still move the spring mounts forward until you get into clearance issues. To me it looks like the front mount on yours is back about 3" from where it should be(or could be). Generally they are out far enough to where the just sit under the front face of the bumper.

tower210

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Olathe
State
KS
measure

I'd still move the spring mounts forward until you get into clearance issues. To me it looks like the front mount on yours is back about 3" from where it should be(or could be). Generally they are out far enough to where the just sit under the front face of the bumper.

Time to jack the front up (or maybe visit my rent a lift) and take a closer look at the steering.......

mysunnshine

Legacy Registered User
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
The pitman arm end of the drag link usually crashes under compression when the springs flatten out and pushes the axle rearward.

tower210

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Olathe
State
KS
springs

The pitman arm end of the drag link usually crashes under compression when the springs flatten out and pushes the axle rearward.

Which is prolly worse with my shackle reversal, because the pivot is the front......

tower210

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Olathe
State
KS
Yup. Take a picture of what you have now.

I'll get pics tonight. Measured my current front springs. 45.75 c-c loaded. All internet resources show as 45". Not sure if .75" is a lot of growth or not.

mysunnshine

Legacy Registered User
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Yea that axle can be moved forward quite a bit. Here's mine as a reference. Mine will just clip the tie rod at full compression and I'm moved forward about 1.5".
1f12153dec464b1f702ba10825f07a2c-1.jpg