• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

PB or manual?

jeepbob

Basic User
City
topeka
State
ks
My 81 CJ8 came with power brakes. Before I bought it in 93 the booster apparently got a leak so the owner replaced with manual brakes. He had the booster still and I still have it. I always thought about switching back. Yay or nay. Easy or hard. Though someone converted to headers the manifold still has the vacuum tube set up for it. Replacement booster is around $130.

tower210

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Olathe
State
KS
Could be more factors involved to give a proper response.....

Tire size?

Use?

Do you feel they are adequate now?

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
If you aren't running big tires I'd leave it alone. After two Jeeps without PB and one Jeep with, I prefer manual barkes, but I'm only running 31's.

When you die on a hill with PB, it can get a little spooky. I had a booster go out and after putting on a reman (didn't work) and then a YJ (also didn't initially work, then got it working, but still wasn't all that great) I swapped in a manual M/C and the Jeep has stopped great ever since.

One less thing to go wrong. KISS

jeepbob

Basic User
City
topeka
State
ks
I run stock size tire 235/75-15 on my Jeep. Manuals seem to work fine for me since 93. My exes hated it but too bad for them, they are exes.

jims chop shop

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
stafford
State
va
I have manual brakes
W/ warn bumpers , warm 8274
Poison spyder crusher corners and rocker knockers
It's low on the list for me !
21d328334223c0f48f7471e5a8978cbc-1.jpg

don87401

Original Owner
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Farmington
State
NM
Had manual brakes from day one, still do. I have run tires from 30" to 35" with them, I am fine with the manual brakes.