• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

My De-Rustification Project

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
OK. After many years and ribbing from BW, I am starting a thread about my Scrambler. I will have to come back to this initial post and add pic of the Jeep as I got it and showing the little things I have done. But the big work is yet to come. I bought the Scrambler from the PO in Cincinnati, OH. First mistake. It had frame repair done, but it did not look bad from the pics, nor when I looked under it at time of sale. The price was "right enough", and I had no idea what I was doing, so I bought it. I took the 28 inch tires off and installed 31s. I took the decal kit off as it was torn, faded and just not looking good. Eventually I put on a 2.5 inch suspension lift along with shackles that added .5 so I am supposedly sitting 3" higher, but netted 2.5.

I swapped out the TigerTop for an STC halftop and took out the back seat and replaced it with a bulkhead. I also have a hard halftop now as well.

Mainly I have been about repairs, such as a new engine as well as new radiator and e-fan (I won't bore people with those traumas here, but I have spent a lot of time with that darn radiator and e-fan). I have added a Runck rear tire carrier bumper and power ports in the dash for USB and 12v. This past weekend I had to replace broke motor mount bolts.

Anyway, thanks to the many good folks on this board who have helped me get my Heep to the point it is currently at as well as finding me the Donor frame that is the reason I am starting this build thread (big thanks to Jim's Chop Shop)

As the frame has decided to disintegrate over the past few years, I went ahead on my journey to find a replacement. Instead of a TDK, I went with one from Lynchburg, VA that had already been blasted and primered. It is from an 81 so I will be replacing the shock towers. I will also be replacing the rear crossmember from one I bought from Chiefwaho. That is one nice piece of metal. The frame came with replacement body mounts, so I will be having to replace those as well. And thanks to Randyzzz, I have a template to use to drill new holes to use shock towers from a new CJ.

Hopefully I will be able to get to the frame updates soon. I am at the point of writing up a list of things to do in preparation for the actual frame swap. Jim has me dreaming of building up a complete Rolling Chassis before had complete with new axles, gas tank, maybe even a new power plant. The budget is screaming at me, so I will see what I can do. I also need to get this done sooner rather than later. The drop dead time in November so that I don't have to worry about failing the inspection due to the frame again.

Pics will come when I log back in on my phone and have time to upload them. Don't worry Eric. :bacon:

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
When I got her:

6b87a2367b61c4e53020478c51d87e8d-1.jpg

f650dfdc57e5e0433e712e2cdbb4aade-1.jpg

Runck rear bumper installed:

7ef142535bb958ce459aa6d0b54d0938-1.jpg

Added a third bow to the TigerTop (now gone)
b318d128eec2cb1cde3b31fea7f610bd-1.jpg

Installing the lift:
89cc74255ef12bae5fcb101a1f30dd2c-1.jpg

New reflective decals (group buy here):

a0381f6f060b88eca8ab69fa6b564b6c-1.jpg

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
Hard half top, YJ half doors and TJ uppers:
ecb8b0ae5f298fea6e3e2157fd04c0e8-1.jpg

8948594739775ac26a16ae8018c5d793-1.jpg

Soft half top:

fb53f9d3681165d4a25f1c9cde936ad0-1.jpg

USB and 12v power:
2be249706007669680d98a76d0bb404f-1.jpg

Replacement Frame:

f2ad9cd380b8b639fdd360c31a5c3f2b-1.jpg

Cross member from Chiefwaho:
6e7d57bde730a4f611c5ba1b865c3d86-1.jpg

9e68d716e96a23ad04b3bf3e6a2ee3b4-1.jpg

Notice that other changes include a Qtec winch on the front and custom sliders on the sides.

And wait until I takes pics of the current frame. I know Rustycrawler feels it is unsafe for me to drive. That is why I will be doing the frame swap soon.

Also, I will take any and all advice on treating this frame before installation. Paints, sealants, whatever.

Last edited:

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA

Thanks for the link. I think my frame looks like that fork!!!!

I will get some pics of the frame. I need to get under there and get some good lighting first.

I actually want to blow compressed air through the frame rails and see what comes out. Should be a lot as the frame is rusting away from the inside.

At least the body is fiberglass!?!?!?!

rustycrawler

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Reston
State
VA
Seems like you might need to be doing some welding on the new frame, why not add the front and rear frame plates as well...?

ry3D400-1.jpg

ry3D400-2.jpg

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
Seems like you might need to be doing some welding on the new frame, why not add the front and rear frame plates as well...?

ry3D400-1.jpg

ry3D400-2.jpg

I emailed Jason and asked him about it. I don't plan on installing a V8 or really beating the Scrambler up on the rocks, so he said I really don't need them.

regular guy

Basic User
City
Cameron
State
NC
I don't think those bumpers are compatible with an 81 frame. I'll come pick them up so you don't have to worry about pitching them.:thumbsup:

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
I don't think those bumpers are compatible with an 81 frame. I'll come pick them up so you don't have to worry about pitching them.:thumbsup:

Funny you should mention that. I will have to modify the bumper in order to attach it to the new cross member. The bumper has mounts that bolt to the outsides out the frame rails. Time for the thinking cap. I do not want to get different bumpers.

jammer1

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Maple Hts.
State
Oh
When you remove the rear cross member clean out the inside of the frame. Eastwood has a rust encapsulator for frames. I haven't tried it since my frame was acid dipped then epoxyed but if it works it will help to keep the frame from rotting from the inside/ out. The condensation on the rusted/untreated interior doesn't take buy a few years. Been there done it and had it happen. That's why I did the acid dip and epoxy.

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
NOT ELIGIBLE FOR PRIME?!?!?!? Crazy talk.

Just kidding. Thanks For the pic Jim

Any idea of how many cans I would need? The more the better?
Probably has to go ground shipping. Eastwood is only 15 minutes from my job, Quadratec 35 minutes, extreme terrain 25 minutes:D
Used some on a trailer at work, seems to be holding up good. Also available in quarts.

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
sounds like a great project. Hope the plans work out!

Thanks. They had better work out, or I won't have a vehicle to drive let alone a Scrambler.:huh: