• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Home!

wmcaidan

Basic User
City
Tahoe City
State
CA
I finally found then time to go pick up the Scrambler my good college friend had offered me. Overall it's in good shape body-wise, virtually rust free. Will be changing fluids, replacing the cam cover, etc. It is in desperate need of a paint job. We got it started to get it on and off the trailer, but it looks like I gummed up the carb so that's this coming weekend's task.
548242d2f099d5c1caaf6972e604c4dd-1.jpg
67ecb8743219a649f52aae736e62cb51-1.jpg

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
Awesome deal.....Welcome!

jammer1

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Maple Hts.
State
Oh
You got taken, I feel sorry for you so what I'll do is offer you $1801.00 for her. Always want to help a fellow jeeper:rolleyes::cool::evil:

Kim Dawson

CJ-8 Member
City
Molalla
State
Or
Nice California Laredo Scrambler! Now that's a very good college friend. You might try to polish up the old paint and see how it looks. It's only original once.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
NICE! I'd try to clean up the paint and find a matching stock paint hood (looks replaced or repainted) before you get into a paint job.

Would be good to see more pics, but that paint on the side and the comment about it being rust free makes me :drool:

wmcaidan

Basic User
City
Tahoe City
State
CA
Is this an 85 ?? Ill offer 8100.99 :)

The registration states it's a 1984, first sold in 1985, so it could be either year in my mind. The amazing part is that there's very little that's been messed with on it as far as modifications. Hell, the clock works (but is missing the stem to change the time, pick your battles). Someone added longer shackles to the suspension to accommodate mildly bigger tires, but the springs are all rusted so I will probably give it a small lift with new springs. It's got a Currie twin stick transfer case, which I haven't had time to research but seems to be a later addition judging by things I've read on here. It had a soft top, but my buddy had never used it and when we took it out of the barn it pretty much turned to dust, so I left that behind. Someone did a horrible stereo hookup, with wires coming from the dash across the floor to an amp under the drivers seat (and the speakers have all disappeared) so that will get replaced, probably with a pod on the tunnel. It's got an aftermarket ignition that my friend installed which works like a charm. The only true bummer is that the guy before him (or before that guy) installed a roof rack so you can carry a fishing boat or some kayaks. I've got this but I don't think I will use it, but unfortunately he drilled 20 holes to mount it, right behind the cab on either side and just past the rear fender well. They haven't invited rust yet, but eventually I will need to deal with them. Other than that, original seats, original console, original dash and gauges that all work (except maybe voltage, but I will chase those demons and the dash lights some weekend). Overall it's an amazing find, and was an amazing find when my buddy knocked on a door of a guy down the road from him after driving past it every day for years.

wmcaidan

Basic User
City
Tahoe City
State
CA
I should also add that it's California legal, but I'm in a part of a county that only requires me to smog it at the time of transfer, so hopefully I can remove a ton of the Evap system and put a better carb in it. Fought the carburetor battle this weekend, ended up doing a rebuild kit and now it purrs like a walrus.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
It's got a Currie twin stick transfer case, which I haven't had time to research but seems to be a later addition judging by things I've read on here. It had a soft top, but my buddy had never used it and when we took it out of the barn it pretty much turned to dust, so I left that behind.

Someone simply added twin sticks to the stock transfer case, it's not going to be a complete transfer case swap. That's a nice little bonus.

What soft top was it? A full top or the half soft top? If a half soft top, the hardware for it alone is worth $$$ and I guarantee someone is looking for it on here. Even if it's an older full top, there's likely people wanting/needing replacement parts. FWIW.

wmcaidan

Basic User
City
Tahoe City
State
CA
Someone simply added twin sticks to the stock transfer case, it's not going to be a complete transfer case swap. That's a nice little bonus.

What soft top was it? A full top or the half soft top? If a half soft top, the hardware for it alone is worth $$$ and I guarantee someone is looking for it on here. Even if it's an older full top, there's likely people wanting/needing replacement parts. FWIW.

Yeah, we didn't toss it so I will somehow get it next time I'm way down in Gilroy. Wish I had taken it in retrospect, could have had a local canvas guy do a replacement. With all the boats here there's some great guys that make covers.

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
Very nice. I'm a big fan of original paint. You should try buffing and polishing that and see how it looks before you repaint it (again, just my .02).

Looks like you walked into an awesome Jeep. Please post more pics when you get a chance, and don't throw ANYTHING away without checking here first. You'd be suprised how hard some of the little odds and ends are to find, and someone here is always looking for original stuff, even if not in perfect shape.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Yeah, we didn't toss it so I will somehow get it next time I'm way down in Gilroy. Wish I had taken it in retrospect, could have had a local canvas guy do a replacement. With all the boats here there's some great guys that make covers.

Do you know if it was a half or full top?

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
Lifetime Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
The registration states it's a 1984, first sold in 1985, so it could be either year in my mind. The amazing part is that there's very little that's been messed with on it as far as modifications. Hell, the clock works (but is missing the stem to change the time, pick your battles). Someone added longer shackles to the suspension to accommodate mildly bigger tires, but the springs are all rusted so I will probably give it a small lift with new springs. It's got a Currie twin stick transfer case, which I haven't had time to research but seems to be a later addition judging by things I've read on here. It had a soft top, but my buddy had never used it and when we took it out of the barn it pretty much turned to dust, so I left that behind. Someone did a horrible stereo hookup, with wires coming from the dash across the floor to an amp under the drivers seat (and the speakers have all disappeared) so that will get replaced, probably with a pod on the tunnel. It's got an aftermarket ignition that my friend installed which works like a charm. The only true bummer is that the guy before him (or before that guy) installed a roof rack so you can carry a fishing boat or some kayaks. I've got this but I don't think I will use it, but unfortunately he drilled 20 holes to mount it, right behind the cab on either side and just past the rear fender well. They haven't invited rust yet, but eventually I will need to deal with them. Other than that, original seats, original console, original dash and gauges that all work (except maybe voltage, but I will chase those demons and the dash lights some weekend). Overall it's an amazing find, and was an amazing find when my buddy knocked on a door of a guy down the road from him after driving past it every day for years.

The decals indicate it SHOULD be a 1985, but you never know, they could have been added, etc. There should be a glove box badge that says laredo and also a thin pinstripe around the dash overlay around the gauges if that is still there also. Cant wait to see more pics ! :cheers:

wmcaidan

Basic User
City
Tahoe City
State
CA

It's a full top. I didn't have room for it in the dakota with the shell on, should have figured out a way to tie it to the trailer under the jeep so I could have looked like a travelling junkyard. [emoji3]

wmcaidan

Basic User
City
Tahoe City
State
CA
There should be a glove box badge that says laredo and also a thin pinstripe around the dash overlay around the gauges if that is still there also.

I have to correct myself. The registration says it's a 1985, first sold in 1984, not vice versa. There's no laredo badge on the glovebox, but there is indeed a matching pinstripe around the gauges. I will post some more pics tonight, I had a cargo trailer and the wife's car in the way for the past week.