• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

What is this hole for in a 258 water pump?

sevensandeights

sevensandeights
City
Mckean
State
PA
I have coolant leaking out of this hole on my 258 waterpump? When the water pump is installed in the Jeep this hole is in the 6 O'clock position.

Anybody know what its for and what causes coolant to leak out of it?

jammer1

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Maple Hts.
State
Oh
It's probably a drain hole for the shaft seal. When the seal leaks and water comes out of the hole it's time for a new water pump.

sevensandeights

sevensandeights
City
Mckean
State
PA
Also, any suggestions on a manufacturer for a new pump. There a tons to choose from at Autozone, Advance, OReilly, NAPA and RockAuto. My research has yet to reveal a clear choice.

Spieg

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Aurora
State
CO
No real preference of brand... pretty much the same in my experience unless you are looking for a performance/aluminum model (waste of money on a 258 IMHO).

One thing to check when you get the replacement - do a visual comparison to make sure the new pump impeller blades are oriented the same as the old pump. There are 2 different options that may not be specified clearly at the part store. One is designed for a v-belt and the other for a serpentine belt. They both look the same except for the impeller. Either will bolt on to your motor, but they are designed for opposite rotation of the impeller (one rotates clock-wise and the other counter clock-wise). I've heard of folks getting the wrong model and then can't figure out why their Jeep keeps overheating (pumps don't move enough coolant if the impeller is turning backwards).

sevensandeights

sevensandeights
City
Mckean
State
PA
Classic Jeep owner story:

The Scrambler I am working on is made up of all leftover parts from various other projects. It will ultimately be just a plow Jeep and will never see the road or trail. I decided to put a hood on it so I didn't have to keep tripping over the hood laying on the ground in the shop. The hood is fiberglass and doesn't have the center release mechanism. The grill is metal and had the center release so I took out the 4 bolts and it prompty dropped like a stone and wedged itself between the radiator and grill. I wiggled it out through the turn signal lamp hole and realized soon after that it damaged the radiator enough to cause a leak.

It was a small leak so I figured I would try some Barr's stop leak. I thought to myself "it's just a plow Jeep made up of mismatched parts so who cares, right?" The additive fixed the leak in the radiator but then ruined the front seal of the water pump! Now I have to take the radiator out anyway - Just Empty Every Pocket . . . .

DirtyB

Crazy Cajun
Lifetime Member
City
Port Allen
State
LA
Most people refer to it as the weep hole or tattle tale.