• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Power Steering fluid Leak

Wayne

Legacy Registered User
City
Cape Coral
State
FL
Hello:
I have a major leak from my power steering fluid reservoir. I cannot find where the leak is though.
Is there a place that they typically leak at??
I appreciate it.
Thanks.

:banghead:

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
Mine leaked at the shaft seal behind the pulley.

MrBeep

CJ-8 Vendor Supporter
SOA Member
CJ-8.com Vendor
City
Dillsboro
State
IN
It willbe one of three things: As Barry stated, the seal, one of the hoses, or the housing.

If the fluid is on the front and top it "Most likely" is the seal, T/he best way to locate it is to clean it very well, put fliud in it and have someone start it up and turn the wheel lock to lock while you watch for a "Wet Spot" to develop Order of most likely: Preasure line, return line, cap seal, pull seal, housing.
Hope this helps. :wave:

Wayne

Legacy Registered User
City
Cape Coral
State
FL
My laptop has been down, so sorry for not getting back sooner, awesome. Thank you for your help.
Wayne.

TravelnMan

Legacy Registered User
City
Granby
State
CT
I had a reservoir rust through. I just replaced the whole thing with an auto parts store remanufactured unit.

MrBeep

CJ-8 Vendor Supporter
SOA Member
CJ-8.com Vendor
City
Dillsboro
State
IN
Figures. :banghead:

Glad you found it. :thumbsup: :wave:

Wayne

Legacy Registered User
City
Cape Coral
State
FL
Hello:
I have been working on the steering fluid leak on my Jeep trying to determine where the leak is coming from.
I have determined that the leak is not at the steering reservoir bottle or the two hoses coming out of the steering reservoir.
I have followed the two lines down to the steering knuckle and I do not see a leak at the knuckle where the lines meet the knuckle.
I have noticed that there is a wet spot where the steering arm meets the knuckle – also on the steering knuckle has a kind of flat area that looks like it has some kind of a castle lip going around it.

Question Please * Should there be a leak where the steering arm meets the steering knuckle? Also that flat area on the steering knuckle does that come apart and could it leak there??

As always thanks for reading and thanks for everyones help, it’s appreciated.

jammer1

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Maple Hts.
State
Oh
It can leak at the steering gear where the steering shaft and pitman arm are. How bad is it leaking. You should be able to clean everything with brake cleaner. Then run the jeep to see where the leak is.

surfjeepzx

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
Wilbur by the Sea
State
FL
There should be no leaks anywhere in the steering system. Your leak is where the steering shaft mounts to the Input shaft of the "gear box" It's what you see from the drivers side fender looking down. Looking up from the bottom the arm you see is the Pitman arm and that is connected the output shaft. As was mentioned make sure to clean the gear box and then revisit the leak. If it has been leaking for a while the fluid can blow around and give false clues as to the actual leak location.

Wayne

Legacy Registered User
City
Cape Coral
State
FL
Thanks a lot.
I need to get a diagram and break this down - I'm lost right now.
I will eyeball it later.
Thanks.

jammer1

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Maple Hts.
State
Oh
Clean the steering gear from the steering shaft down (top to bottom of steering gear). Get it nice and clean then dry off. Shouldn't be hard to see where fluid starts leaking from. Take a pic and post. It's easier to help if we can see the leak.

Wayne

Legacy Registered User
City
Cape Coral
State
FL
So thanks the Jammers help I have been able to locate the leak on the steering box. (picture attached)
The leak is where the steering shaft goes into the box. Can I buy a kit and fix the problem? Also do I need to take out the radiator to get in there and I'm sure I need to pull the steering column?
As you all know it tight in there
Thanks.
photo 2.JPG

walkerhoundvm

Just trying to stay upright
Lifetime Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
I believe there are "kits" of some sort to address the leak there at the input, but at the same time I think a remanufactured box or an upgraded box may make it a wash when it comes to "replace vs. repair."

Taking out the radiator isn't necessary, but it makes it a little bit easier - along with removing the D fender if you wanted to. I replaced the hoses without pulling the radiator and it was a big hassle.

You can get by with just pulling the steering shaft, and it may be worth upgrading that at this point too and tightening that system up. A new Borgeson shaft is considered a logical upgrade, and runs about $230 if I remember right (http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Borgeson-Heavy-Duty-Steering-Shaft-for-Jeep-CJ-1976-1986-/200889032141 is an example - you may be able to find it cheaper elsewhere) Read up on some threads if you can on this product - it rusts quick and should be painted before installation.

jammer1

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Maple Hts.
State
Oh
Probably the seal's leaking. Problem is if you get a kit to replace the seals etc, if there's any wear in the bore or in the housing itself you'll still have the leak. When they rebuild the box they check tolerances to make sure it's build able. Sometimes it's easier and safer to get a rebuild, new or an upgrade. When the weather breaks and I get a chance to drive the cj7 I'll find out if the lucus seal rejuvenator works. If not I'm upgrading to a AGR steering box.

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
Probably the seal's leaking. Problem is if you get a kit to replace the seals etc, if there's any wear in the bore or in the housing itself you'll still have the leak. When they rebuild the box they check tolerances to make sure it's build able. Sometimes it's easier and safer to get a rebuild, new or an upgrade. When the weather breaks and I get a chance to drive the cj7 I'll find out if the lucus seal rejuvenator works. If not I'm upgrading to a AGR steering box.

I'd nose around a bit before buying AGR. I have one and it's been good to go, but there were a lot of reported quality control issues that popped up since then. PSC is supposed to be a good company and was founded by an ex AGR employee. The H1 hummer box is supposed to have the bigger bore and variable ratio of a AGR superbox and is a direct fit for 80's CJ's, and you can get one of those at the local autonapareilly.

Wayne

Legacy Registered User
City
Cape Coral
State
FL
Wow the ARG steering boxes are expensive..
Can you buy them cheaper anywhere else or is there someone who can rebuild mine.
Thank You

cbford

Legacy Registered User
City
CLT
State
NC
I had a similar leak after my engine swap.

A minor seal kit was $15.
A major seal kit was $100
A rebuilt unit was $140 after core fee at AutoZone. This is what I ended up doing and so far it is fine if the 4 turn ratio doesn't bother you.

I have also used West Texas Offroad in the past when I needed mods done in addition to a rebuild. They are reasonable $ and performed as promised.

jammer1

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Maple Hts.
State
Oh
Wm69 your busting my bubble. That's not good news to hear. Don't mind paying a little more for a good box (especially new without the problems of getting a bad rebuild which is happening more often). They use to have a good name and product.

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
Wm69 your busting my bubble. That's not good news to hear. Don't mind paying a little more for a good box (especially new without the problems of getting a bad rebuild which is happening more often). They use to have a good name and product.

If you want a fancy name, get the PSC box. PSC was founded by ex-AGR owner Tom Allen, who "sold his stake in AGR in November of 2001 then formed PSC in September of 2002. PSC is rapidly becoming the whos-who in the power-steering world with products which can be seen in and take the abuse from track racers and even in the most brutal of off-road rigs." (text in quotes was cut and paste from another website).

If it were me I'd get the Hummer H1 box from Rockauto or your local parts store. It has the bigger piston like the J20 boxes, the Oring line fittings like the original box (your existing PS lines will work), and the mounting holes are all the same as your existing box. The H1 also has the same variable gear ratio as the AGR Super Box 2, and is about 1/2 the price.

Not bursting your bubble, saving you $$$$!

http://www.myjeeprocks.com/forums/showthread.php/16334-Steering-gearbox-upgrade/page2

If you're going to do it go ahead and use the money you saved by not buying the AGR box, and get a MORE or similar steering box mount. The OEM mounts flex. The HD aftermarket ones don't. I didn't do this when I put my new steering box in, so I get to unbolt it all and do it over again instead of doing it right the first time.

http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f19/1984-cj-7-steering-box-assembly-dead-need-new-one-14759/