• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Power windows,locks and key less entry.

zr10054

Car and Gun Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Gonzales
State
La
I did this mod during my Scrambler restoration over five years ago. Since I haven't seen another one I thought some of the newer members might be interested. I installed a key less entry with power locks with one kit and also the power windows with another. Everything is still working fine. You can also see in this picture how I installed one of the Vintage Air AC vents in the dash.

Attachments

• IMG_0618.JPG
    IMG_0618.JPG
    223.5 KB · Views: 232
  • IMG_0619.JPG
    IMG_0619.JPG
    310.1 KB · Views: 229

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
Is that power window kit the one designed for CJ's?

BRKLYNZ28

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
BROOKLYN
State
NY
I have almost the same setup in my 7. Also With keyless alarm and auto start. The 8 will be the same way.

Sent from my SM-N910P

zr10054

Car and Gun Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Gonzales
State
La
Is that power window kit the one designed for CJ's?
Yes it is. If my memory is correct it was a company called A1 something or other.
You could look through my build thread and it should be in there.

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
Lifetime Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
I have the same kit I acquired with some other project so I was going to attempt to use it on the left door of the overlander just to have a power window on that side. I was them gonna try to make the switch hidden and the door glass handle still exist but I haven't gotten that far. Air conditioning and a working speedometer is next. :)

zr10054

Car and Gun Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Gonzales
State
La
I have the same kit I acquired with some other project so I was going to attempt to use it on the left door of the overlander just to have a power window on that side. I was them gonna try to make the switch hidden and the door glass handle still exist but I haven't gotten that far. Air conditioning and a working speedometer is next. :)
Since you mentioned Air Conditioner I thought I might say that I installed a Vintage Air unit in mine. the kit came with everything I needed right down to bolts and clamps, just supply refrigerant.

zr10054

Car and Gun Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Gonzales
State
La
I think they also make a kit that actually uses the window hand crank as a electric switch for the power windows.

CJLutke

cjlutke
Lifetime Member
City
Bartlesville
State
OK
Does this kit provide a quick disconnect for the wiring to still be able to run with the doors off?

Jeeperdd

CJ-8 Member
Silver Member
SOA Member
City
Gordonsville
State
VA
Yes is does, i've had this kit on my scrambler for a few years now. Its a nice product.

GreatCJ8

Charter Member
Gold Member
City
Lynchburg
State
VA
I think they also make a kit that actually uses the window hand crank as a electric switch for the power windows.
This is pretty cool. My driver door window hasn't been able to be rolled down in probably 20 years. This is a cool option.
For anyone who has installed these, is it pretty straight forward?

gpassida

Basic User
Silver Member
City
Redding
State
Ca
For you guys that added air conditioning - did any of you use a kit that did AC, Heat and Defrost? That would entirely replace the factory Jeep heater box.

If you did, how does the heat compare to stock or if you have felt the heat from a Blazer Blower motor swap that would be even better.

I am getting close to putting my tub back on the frame and will be needing to decide on the Blazer motor swap or doing a combination AC, Heat and Defrost kit.

Thanks!
George

HighSierra CJ

Scrambler Enthusiast
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ducor
State
Ca
For you guys that added air conditioning - did any of you use a kit that did AC, Heat and Defrost? That would entirely replace the factory Jeep heater box.

If you did, how does the heat compare to stock or if you have felt the heat from a Blazer Blower motor swap that would be even better.

I am getting close to putting my tub back on the frame and will be needing to decide on the Blazer motor swap or doing a combination AC, Heat and Defrost kit.

Thanks!
George
I do run a full hard top on my scrambler, so those who run a half cab might have different experiences.
I installed the A/C / heating unit from Jeep Air a couple years ago. I was very disappointed in the heater/ defrost. It didn’t heat the jeep up nearly enough to warm up the cab. I recently switched back to the factory heater/ blazer blower motor upgrade, and bought a new air-conditioning unit that is just A/C (also from Jeep Air). The difference is night and day. My wife and I spent a few hours in the jeep yesterday afternoon/evening, and ran the heater on low to medium. The temperature outside was only in the mid 40s, so it wasn’t that cold. If I would Have ran the heater on high it would’ve cooked us. So my advice would be stick with the factory heater, definitely do the blazer blower motor upgrade, and just install an air conditioner only unit.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
I had an aftermarket unit in my Copper Scrambler. It was from the now defunct Hot Rod Air. It was barely adequate on heat , and I never got the A/C portion charged. The biggest issue is the defrost- the hot air is cooled by the windshield frame. No way to modify that as the wiper linkage occupies the same space. However- on my current build, I installed a Vintage Air GenII compact. I’m still a ways from running it, but I have high hopes. Winters are cold and snowy here, but this thing won’t be seeing any of that... It does take quite a bit of modification to fit it in, and there’s really no room for either the radio or the glovebox, depending on where you mount it. Here’s a behind the scenes picture of the current install. 02279744-068C-4019-9BEF-AC94D192AFC3.jpegB51F1065-0541-4AFE-8579-6524E0C53E99.jpeg

gpassida

Basic User
Silver Member
City
Redding
State
Ca
I do run a full hard top on my scrambler, so those who run a half cab might have different experiences.
I installed the A/C / heating unit from Jeep Air a couple years ago. I was very disappointed in the heater/ defrost. It didn’t heat the jeep up nearly enough to warm up the cab. I recently switched back to the factory heater/ blazer blower motor upgrade, and bought a new air-conditioning unit that is just A/C (also from Jeep Air). The difference is night and day. My wife and I spent a few hours in the jeep yesterday afternoon/evening, and ran the heater on low to medium. The temperature outside was only in the mid 40s, so it wasn’t that cold. If I would Have ran the heater on high it would’ve cooked us. So my advice would be stick with the factory heater, definitely do the blazer blower motor upgrade, and just install an air conditioner only unit.

Thanks for the great info and insight. I will eventually have a full length hard top. Most trips will be just my wife and I and, if needed, to get max AC effectiveness on desert trips like Death Valley or the Mojave Road, I plan on using or having a custom "wind jammer" vinyl partition made behind the front seats to keep more of the AC in the front seat area. I saw this a few years back on a trip and he said it helps significantly.

I'll probably rebuild my stock heater box and do the Blazer motor swap and just add AC.

gpassida

Basic User
Silver Member
City
Redding
State
Ca
I had an aftermarket unit in my Copper Scrambler. It was from the now defunct Hot Rod Air. It was barely adequate on heat , and I never got the A/C portion charged. The biggest issue is the defrost- the hot air is cooled by the windshield frame. No way to modify that as the wiper linkage occupies the same space. However- on my current build, I installed a Vintage Air GenII compact. I’m still a ways from running it, but I have high hopes. Winters are cold and snowy here, but this thing won’t be seeing any of that... It does take quite a bit of modification to fit it in, and there’s really no room for either the radio or the glovebox, depending on where you mount it. Here’s a behind the scenes picture of the current install.

That's an interesting option. I love the in-dash ducts you are doing. I'd like to keep tabs on your build and see how that works out.

Love the red!

I was very close to doing red too but decided to go "Voodoo Blue".

Voodoo Blue Tub.JPG

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
That blue looks very nice. I would imagine your ac will struggle even with the partition out in that desert heat. Even Redding gets mighty hot in the summer. What color is your top ?

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
That's an interesting option. I love the in-dash ducts you are doing. I'd like to keep tabs on your build and see how that works out.

Love the red!

I was very close to doing red too but decided to go "Voodoo Blue".

View attachment 89321
That blue looks great!
My original plan was for a stock heater system and an under dash A/C- but the Vintage air unit was a leftover from when I sold the J20 project. I think the factory heat with the blower motor upgrade works best, but I have never cared for how crowded the under dash A/C makes everything feel. Plus the factory unit really limits your access to the under dash components. If I had gone with the under dash A/C I would have used one of the retro styled pods that fits above the trans hump.1606583980565.jpegHowever, now that I can see how everything is coming together, I really like how my design feels like what Jeep might have done if they went to an in-dash system. I’m mounting the 4 control knobs where the factory pull knobs were, so it looks somewhat stock that way too. Walkerhoundvm made a set of custom dash lights to reflect the new control operation. 1606584339291.jpeg

Last edited:

gpassida

Basic User
Silver Member
City
Redding
State
Ca
That blue looks very nice. I would imagine your ac will struggle even with the partition out in that desert heat. Even Redding gets mighty hot in the summer. What color is your top ?

The top will probably be black... It does get pretty hot here. My wife's 95 YJ has a black soft top and the factory under-dash air. I was surprised how well it does up to about 105 degrees. Beyond that it struggles a bit. The partition would hopefully get a little better cooling for the front seats. But we'll see at some point. Still a ways out for me.