• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

New distributor installed. Now I have an issue....

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
Quick question. I got the new HEI distributor on yesterday. It started but stumbled until I twisted the distributor housing a bit and it runs very smoothly. I started it up today and it seems to start like a car with a weak battery but starts then purrs. Would that be the timing? Or if the timing was off, would it just run roughly all of the time? It starts. It just does not turn right over. I guess I can try a jump start to see if my battery is weak and just has not charged back up.

Last edited:

mysunnshine

Legacy Registered User
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
You have the vacuum advance hooked up to manifold vacuum don't ya?

Sent from my SM-G920V

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
You have the vacuum advance hooked up to manifold vacuum don't ya?

Sent from my SM-G920V

I have the house that was connected to the old one connected to the vacuum advance on the new one. Now you have me wondering. I will double check. What are you suggesting?

mysunnshine

Legacy Registered User
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
The vacuum advance needs to be ported and not manifold. You are under timed by probably 15 degrees with your base timing.

Sent from my SM-G920V

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
The vacuum advance needs to be ported and not manifold. You are under timed by probably 15 degrees with your base timing.

Sent from my SM-G920V

Great me like a dummy. What do you mean ported?

mysunnshine

Legacy Registered User
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Ported is above the throttle plates and only has vacuum when the throttle is open and not at idle.

Sent from my SM-G920V

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
Ported is above the throttle plates and only has vacuum when the throttle is open and not at idle.

Sent from my SM-G920V

Thanks. Sounds like what I have as it goes to the carb. I will verify.

gazzo

AMC Jeep nutjob
Lifetime Member
City
Fremantle
State
WA
I was thinking the other way, over timed ( if you're meaning under timed is retarded). My seven was advanced WAY to far for ages and I can't remember why I had it that way. It used to draw so much current the solenoid would always fuse shut. Timing light showed it off the scale advanced. Backed that off to 8 with VA disconnected and plugged and it started like a dream. Check your timing gr8dain

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
I was thinking the other way, over timed ( if you're meaning under timed is retarded). My seven was advanced WAY to far for ages and I can't remember why I had it that way. It used to draw so much current the solenoid would always fuse shut. Timing light showed it off the scale advanced. Backed that off to 8 with VA disconnected and plugged and it started like a dream. Check your timing gr8dain

Thanks. Doing it in the morning.

LetchcoreCJ7

Legacy Registered User
City
Nashville
State
TN
The reason it was doing that is you had a bit too much timing in it. It likely would have pinged on the road too.

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
A friend is on his way over to make sure my timing is exactly right. I wonder how off I am

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
Yes, inquiring minds want to know... if you had a buddy come over and help you do timing you should be all good now... me on the other hand did 7 hours of sanding and I question why.

cb

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
Sorry guys. Yes a friend who knows a heck of a lot more than I do about engines came over. I had gotten a timing light this morning. He brought 2 over just in case plus this cool little remote start thing that is just a button connected to the starter solenoid. Awesome little tool for this job. In any case, we (he) checked the timing. He says I had it a little off. Just by 2 degrees. Should be all good now. Gave it a good test drive around the neighborhood and it seems to drive better than it ever has.

zr10054

Car and Gun Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Gonzales
State
La
Once you install a HEI distributor you'll wonder how you ever did without it. With my DUI it starts before I turn the key. There is almost no such thing as cold starts any more. Press the pedal to reset the choke and my starts at idle every time.