• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

My 2nd Scrambler Restoration

zr10054

Car and Gun Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Gonzales
State
La
This restoration is of a 1983 Scrambler that I should pick up this week. Today I bought a 5.3 LS engine with a 4L60E transmission and all its goodies from a 2005 Z 71 truck. I followed a build like this by Randyzzz a couple years ago while I was restoring my 1981 and have since been wanting to do one of my own. This is going to be another street queen so I won't be doing any crazy suspension mods on it but it will have all the creature comforts for sure. This is going to be a picture heavy build although they may be slow coming. There is a link in my signature to my 81 restoration project. I'll start by showing a couple pictures of my shop where I will be doing this project.

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 141
  • newest shop pics 003.JPG
    newest shop pics 003.JPG
    92.2 KB · Views: 141
  • newest shop pics 002.JPG
    newest shop pics 002.JPG
    90.1 KB · Views: 141

zr10054

Car and Gun Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Gonzales
State
La
Here's a couple pictures of the 1983 Scrambler I bought. This is the original paint and markings. Does anyone know about the Stump Jumper markings. You can see the fire damage.

Attachments

• 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    192.9 KB · Views: 125
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    162.5 KB · Views: 125
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    139.7 KB · Views: 126

mssldn

Legacy Registered User
City
Gooding
State
ID
No idea on the decal, but looks like a good start for what you have planned.

Polarfire

Jeep Aficionado
Lifetime Member
City
Columbia
State
MO
Can't wait to watch your progress! I'm sure the "Stump Jumper" was a dealer package. Never seen it before.

zr10054

Car and Gun Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Gonzales
State
La
I'm thinking that it was a dealer package also. The oil fire was really sad because this truck has absolutely no rust. About 12 hours of work and a new cowl and windshield frame and the body will be good to go. This will be a frame off restoration with the chassis being sand blasted and the body will be media blasted. All new wiring and a new interior with Vintage air. I'll also be installing key less entry with power locks and power windows like I did in my 81. I won't be taking any short cuts on this one so I am not going to balance my check book again until this truck is finished. I am hoping to stay under $18k. It's a good thing that I don't have a wife.

BRKLYNZ28

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
BROOKLYN
State
NY
You should take rubs of the decals if u can. you can remake them one day and bring it back to its original glory. You have the only stump jumper I ever heard of..

Sent from my SM-N910P

zr10054

Car and Gun Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Gonzales
State
La
You should take rubs of the decals if u can. you can remake them one day and bring it back to its original glory. You have the only stump jumper I ever heard of..

Sent from my SM-N910P

I was going to make a drawing but a rub sounds better. I'm not sure exactly what to use but I will find out.

zr10054

Car and Gun Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Gonzales
State
La
How many is enough???one more.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    164.4 KB · Views: 104

zr10054

Car and Gun Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Gonzales
State
La
I'm making progress and parts are on order and should be here by the weekend.

I bought a 5.3/4L60E conversion package from Advanced Adapters. At almost $2100.00 it should have everything but a kitchen sink.

I also purchased a complete bumper to bumper wiring harness from Painless and at over $1800.00 there was a little pain. LOL

Attachments

• 008b.jpg
    008b.jpg
    413.6 KB · Views: 74
  • 005b.jpg
    005b.jpg
    391 KB · Views: 75
  • 001 (2).JPG
    001 (2).JPG
    212.4 KB · Views: 74
  • 001 (3).JPG
    001 (3).JPG
    412.5 KB · Views: 73

MrBeep

CJ-8 Vendor Supporter
SOA Member
CJ-8.com Vendor
City
Dillsboro
State
IN
Good luck. :popcorn: Looks to be an awesome Scrambler to build. :thumbsup: :wave:

BRKLYNZ28

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
BROOKLYN
State
NY
Wow thats alot for a harness. Crazy what they charge..

Sent from my SM-N910P

DirtyB

Crazy Cajun
Lifetime Member
City
Port Allen
State
LA
Your scramblers are awesome. Your shop is even more awesomer.

zr10054

Car and Gun Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Gonzales
State
La
Wow 2 scramblers, a hummer, and a shop I would kill for. Man you are living the dream.
Oh but you didn't see my real baby. A 2009 ZR1 Ser# 0054. I know, I'm just showing off now. I married off the kids and my wife now I can afford a lot of "ME" things. LOL I'm also retired and have more time for working on the toys.

This is a older picture before I skinned the inside of my shop.

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    839.2 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:

jammer1

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Maple Hts.
State
Oh
Painless harness usually run around 780.00. Did you get one with extras like a additional harness for the new engine?

zr10054

Car and Gun Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Gonzales
State
La
Painless harness usually run around 780.00. Did you get one with extras like a additional harness for the new engine?
Yes I did. One harness was #10150 was 783.00 and the other #60221 was 899.00. Both came in today and I have not even opened the boxes yet. Oh, Both harnesses also come with a 100.00 rebate so I will save 200.00. They also include the the computer reprogramming which is normally a 300.00 charge.

zr10054

Car and Gun Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Gonzales
State
La
Painless harness.

Attachments

• 001b.jpg
    001b.jpg
    459.6 KB · Views: 76
  • 002b.jpg
    002b.jpg
    429.1 KB · Views: 75

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
Oh but you didn't see my real baby. A 2009 ZR1 Ser# 0054. I know, I'm just showing off now. I married off the kids and my wife now I can afford a lot of "ME" things. .

I know it is early and I just started on my coffee... but how did you marry the wife off? Inquiring minds want to know!

cb

zr10054

Car and Gun Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Gonzales
State
La
I know it is early and I just started on my coffee... but how did you marry the wife off? Inquiring minds want to know!

cb
I know, It's Friday morning, it's early and the ole lady just ain't looking as attractive this morning drinking coffee and you were just wandering.
We divorced and she remarried 6 months later. And at the time we had equal paying jobs so the settlement was fair too. LIFE IS GOOD.