• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Introduction/Whats it worth?

Reubster24

Basic User
City
Levittown
State
Pa
Hello from PA. I am just getting introduced to the cj-8. I have been looking for a deal on one and found one at a auction. I am wondering what you guys would pay for it? All we have to go off is the pictures and the auction says it runs and drives. According to the vin it is automatic. The picture looks like it was maybe converted over to standard?

Polarfire

Jeep Aficionado
Lifetime Member
City
Columbia
State
MO
Welcome! It is hard to say what that particular Scrambler is worth without more info. The biggest piece of the puzzle is the frame condition. They tend to rust out around the rear leaf spring attachment points and around the fuel tank. The second part is what you intend to do with it and how much of a project you are looking for. The Scrambler you have found may be exactly what you are wanting and at auction it may be a bargain. On the other hand, just because you score it for a cheap price it may be way more of a project/headache then you really want.

Just going on what you have posted above, I would say it is a $2k Scrambler at best. If it runs and drives and the frame is good maybe a little more. However, knowing how most New England vehicles are, I'm betting the frame is pretty rotten.

PetesCj-8

CJ-8 Member
City
slatington
State
pa
Have to agree with Polar fire here , tough to estimate from the pics. You want to crawl all over the frame and body tub looking for rust. it doesnt look too bad from those pics but theres none of the floors or frame. By the looks of the mismatched doors and their fitment I would be suprised not to find rotted floor pans at the least. It does have a couple upgrades from what I see. The weber carb , aluminum valve cover and radiator are nice depending on condition. The trans looks to be a T-176/7 from the shifter. Thats the best manual trans the Scramblers came with. Not sure how you feel about the full soft top but Levittown isnt too far from me. If your looking for a 1/2 hardtop and bulkhead and end up with this Scrambler let me know. We can probably work something out. Id say its worth $2500 for a running Scrambler. Maybe more depending on the body / frame condition. That wiring under the dash scares me but I hate electrical. If your looking for a stock dash I can help there as well. Pm me if interested. Im not trying to push selling or trading parts with you. Im just letting you know I have some stuff available if your interested and it will help with your purchase. Good Luck and hope you get a good deal. :bacon:

gaducker

Legacy Registered User
City
Newnan
State
ga
Given the fact that its got rust on the under side lip of the hood on both sides I would bet Its eat up with rust.

82cj7

Legacy Registered User
City
indianapolis
State
in
Is that a glass tub? I don't see the jeep logo stamped into it.

CJeep

Scrambled
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Easton
State
CT
Not that it couldn't be sorted out, but that is one hacked up 8. Look close to see how much has been replaced with non-stock parts, and honestly, they don't look like upgrades to me. Unfinished project, obviously. The question is what price are you willing to pay to take it on, and my guess is it has a lot of problems.

I'm with Polarfire on this one. If you want a project, go for it. I mean, somebody has to save it, might as well be you.