• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

parking lights

schmied

Basic User
City
menifee
State
ca
Hi gents,
Got a fairly "simple" question for the board.
My two front parking lights will not turn on when I turn the parking lights or the headlights on. They will however blink when the turn signal is on. The drivers side turn signal is much slower than the passenger side turn signal.
Also the drivers side tail light will not blink and is stuck on "blink" or bright.
I've checked the grounds/cleaned the connections, etc. No change.
Any advice would be helpful.
Thanks in advance for the help!

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
Try some new bulbs. One bad bulb can screw up the whole system.

schmied

Basic User
City
menifee
State
ca
ok. I'll try it. the bulbs on the front are new.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
ok. I'll try it. the bulbs on the front are new.

Replace them anyway. I can't tell you how many times I've had new bulbs that were bad right out of the package.

schmied

Basic User
City
menifee
State
ca
well, I gotta say, I'm embarrassed John. it was the bulbs, but now they won't blink. before the other ones blinked but wouldn't turn on. weird.
new bulbs again???

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
well, I gotta say, I'm embarrassed John. it was the bulbs, but now they won't blink. before the other ones blinked but wouldn't turn on. weird.
new bulbs again???

It sounds like there's still a bad bulb in there....at least they're cheap and an easy fix.

jammer1

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Maple Hts.
State
Oh
Will the hazards work, and will they work with the parking lights off? If they work with the lights off but don't appear to work with the parking lights on, try removing the light lens and look at the bulb with the parking lights and hazards on. If the wiring is reversed the parking lights are brighter than the turn signal and you may not see the blink with the lens on. Ask me how I found out about that.:banghead:

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
ok. I'll try changing them all.

Make sure that all of the sockets look good and clean on the contacts.

schmied

Basic User
City
menifee
State
ca
Will the hazards work, and will they work with the parking lights off? If they work with the lights off but don't appear to work with the parking lights on, try removing the light lens and look at the bulb with the parking lights and hazards on. If the wiring is reversed the parking lights are brighter than the turn signal and you may not see the blink with the lens on. Ask me how I found out about that.:banghead:

hazards work and work with parking lights off. I did notice that when the blinker is in and the lens is on, you can VERY faintly see the blink. so yeah, you could be right. the PO monkeyed with the wiring in this thing from front to back as he installed a mickey mouse onboard air compressor unit. it looks to be factory tho.

jammer1

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Maple Hts.
State
Oh
Have you had this problem (turn signals) before or is this something that just started. If it just started johns probably correct. You would have had to reverse the wires in both lights to get this to happen. Mine was one of the new grill lights had the wires reversed. It blinked, I just never seen it till I took the lens off. https://www.cj-8.com/forum/showthread.php?43650-Never-Ending-Scrambler-Build/page6 on # 76 is where I believe I tested the wiring and found it. Make sure you push the wires through the socket to make sure it's not resistance or shorting under the plastic insulator that the wires go through.