• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

AC Compressor source

trust

PITA
City
White Rock
State
NM
I need a new AC compressor, thus far NAPA cant find one thats got the right clutch and pully system, Autozone cant tell for sure, those are my two choices in town, Rock Auto doesnt list a compressor for this application, I didnt check SJs yet. Its a simple, plentiful Sanden SD 508, but has a two groove V belt clutch whereas everything Ive found either has a serpentine belt or no clutch at all. I can get a compressor and clutch separately through NAPA but it's 2x as expensive ($500++).

Alternatively, does anyone know what is involved converting to a serpentine system? All new accessories obviously but what else? Is there a kit? Ive seen one 258 with a serpentine system, he said it came with the Mopar EFI system, mine nor anyone else I know with MOPAR efi has it...

I do have one that appears to be right but I was using it as an air compressor and I wonder if it will last in the AC system after having been used on just air. If I were to use the used compressor what oil belongs in it? I converted it to R 134 several years ago and dont recall (if I ever knew)

Thanks all

Kim Dawson

CJ-8 Member
City
Molalla
State
Or
If you do convert to the serpentine system, be sure to get the other water pump with impeller that goes the other direction.

mysunnshine

Legacy Registered User
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
You're looking for this?

f013a0ab6b3eb2ca70859c42594a11ce-1.jpg
3427eda96e1c1c2e2bf84bc9e7bb707f-1.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V

trust

PITA
City
White Rock
State
NM
Yes but with flared hose fittings. I ordered on of those and will see if i can find pipe to flare adapters, assuming those are pipe thread fittings

Thanks Kim, if i get there i will though at this point its unlikely

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
Where did you get them made, and how much were they?

A few years back I had the compressor to upper condensor hose made at Oreilly's and it was about $20.

Now I have an A/C system to go in my Tan CJ and nobody around here makes hoses (that Oreilly's is about 5 hours from me, and who knows if they still make hoses).

trust

PITA
City
White Rock
State
NM
I had them made at PECO in Albuquerque, they were the closest I could find where I could be sure the ends were right, and they were just over $200 for the pair.... Ridiculous, had i thought to ask before they made them I wouldnt have had them made but since I didnt, I figured I was stuck with them. Ive since seen DIY kits for a lot less, but not $20.

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
Ive since seen DIY kits for a lot less, but not $20.

Well, that was the little short hose from compressor to condensor, and it was about 10 years ago.

The local NAPA makes hydralic hoses for farmers, but no A/C hoses anymore.