• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Smooth riding 2 to 2.5" lift

YJ_Aaron

Basic User
City
Ozark
State
MO
Hey guys I'm lowering a cj7 for a customer. Currently 4-5 inch suspension lift that won't move with my 300lbs bouncing on it. With his height he wants it lower. Street use only what brand would you recommend? Springs on it are partially military double wrapped.

Thanks

Aaron

Gueon

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Thatcher
State
AZ
Hey guys I'm lowering a cj7 for a customer. Currently 4-5 inch suspension lift that won't move with my 300lbs bouncing on it. With his height he wants it lower. Street use only what brand would you recommend? Springs on it are partially military double wrapped.

Thanks

Aaron

The best "small" CJ lift I have ever personally experienced is the OME 2.5" Wrangler spring conversion lift... pricey but worth it in my mind.

If just for the streets, stick with a "light" spring.

Screen Shot 2015-09-04 at 6.31.07 PM.png

Spieg

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Aurora
State
CO
^^ Agree with Gueon.

You can save a lot of money if you source the pieces by yourself (buy the OME springs and then get everything else wherever you can get the best deal. A complete kit is convenient but that comes at a premium price.

BTW if the Jeep wheels much at all, I'd suggest the heavy springs on all 4 corners (the medium or light springs will flatten out pretty quick on the trail).

mssldn

Legacy Registered User
City
Gooding
State
ID
I was looking at ome springs and the only difference between the light and medium is the spring arch. The light have 3/4" less but same spring rate. Heavies have higher spring rate and more arch than the mediums. Without buying three sets and testing I think they really should be advistised as 3, 2.5, and 2. Obviously, your results will vary depending on the weight.

FLCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Palm Bay
State
FL
What Spieg said.

^^ Agree with Gueon.

You can save a lot of money if you source the pieces by yourself (buy the OME springs and then get everything else wherever you can get the best deal. A complete kit is convenient but that comes at a premium price.

BTW if the Jeep wheels much at all, I'd suggest the heavy springs on all 4 corners (the medium or light springs will flatten out pretty quick on the trail).

This is a thread on this subject with a parts list for piecing your own kit.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/old-man-emu-2-5-yj-cj-suspension-install-1245523/index57.html

It is long, but lots of good info.

LetchcoreCJ7

Legacy Registered User
City
Nashville
State
TN
If you go OME it depends on how much weight you have on the front and rear to make a decision on if you want the medium or heavy. I personally like the heavy if you have a winch and bumper tire carrier. With the extra weight the heavy is still very smooth.