• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Half Top Latches.

orange150

Basic User
City
Fairfax
State
VA
I searched and found this thread where the Draw Latch #1864A15 were recommended.

Any update to this? Are those still the way to go? I think I've only got two bolts holding the back of my top on and I would like to make the switch to latches.

Thanks!

1864a150lgifver1340290804-1.jpg

AdamH

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Mt Holly
State
NC
those are exactly what I used for mine. I did three along the windshield and then used the factory bolts on the rear bottom.

cdvcj8

It's Not My Scrambler
Lifetime Member
City
West Friendship
State
MD
This is my next project to. I want to do some kind of latch on the back as well as my threads are stripped there. If anybody has more info on how you attach them that would be awesome. I'm assuming some kind a rivet??? I'm a rivet virgin but there's always a first time...

orange150

Basic User
City
Fairfax
State
VA
those are exactly what I used for mine. I did three along the windshield and then used the factory bolts on the rear bottom.

Any reason you didn't run them on the back? I'm with cdvcj8, a few of my rear bolts are stripped.

Cdvcj8, I'm planning on riveting mine, but I'm sure you can use self-tappers, etc. Rivets are easy!

cdvcj8

It's Not My Scrambler
Lifetime Member
City
West Friendship
State
MD
Okay, you've convinced me. I ordered the latches. However, I'm a sucker for stainless so I went with:

1864A17
Enclosed Adjustable Draw Latch, 300 Series Stainless Steel, Safety Catch, 2"-2-1/2" Latch Distance

FullSizeRender (3).jpg

Now I need to order the rivet gun. Any particular type of rivet you suggest?

cdvcj8

It's Not My Scrambler
Lifetime Member
City
West Friendship
State
MD
Yes. I just finished taking my Mom to CA on her 70th Birthday trip. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445984214.674825.jpg

The next month is all about the Scram. By then I will have (finally) created a build thread, fixed my paint, performed valve seal and main seal, and completed these.

P.S. extra points for first one to identify picture.

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
Yes. I just finished taking my Mom to CA on her 70th Birthday trip. View attachment 50983

The next month is all about the Scram. By then I will have (finally) created a build thread, fixed my paint, performed valve seal and main seal, and completed these.

P.S. extra points for first one to identify picture.

Oceanside? Ruby's?

zr10054

Car and Gun Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Gonzales
State
La
Back on topic. Does anyone have pictures of these latches installed?

tom'sscrambler

Legacy Registered User
City
toronto
State
on
Hey gents. Looking forward to seeing the photos as well. I can easily imagine how the latches would hold the rear part of the top to the bulkhead, but how do they attach to the windsheild?

orange150

Basic User
City
Fairfax
State
VA
Nothing yet. I received mine yesterday but it's raining here all week, plus the time change, so I won't have time here before the weekend, but I'm going out of town this weekend so it won't happen then.

Sooo maybe next weekend? And this is how all my projects take 100x longer than they should.