• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Nutter bypass with weber and centech harness

Mean Green

Basic User
City
edinburg
State
tx
Gents,
Let me start by saying I have done a search and I'm still not sure on how this works.. I have a scrambler that has been completely hacked by the prior owner... I installed a new complete centech harness, and it still uses the module on the drivers fender... With the stock distributer, would making this (nutter) mod have any effect? Could it be bypassed already with the new harness? I have a weber, so I understand that the change would be to the ignition only-
Thanks in advance
Aaron

cbford

Legacy Registered User
City
CLT
State
NC
The "nutter" mod does not bypass the ignition box, it bypasses the ECM in 83 and later jeeps that used the BBD carb. The ECM also controlled some relays and vacuum solenoids for one thing or another (I would have to look at wiring diagram again..).

If you already have a weber, re-routed your vac lines accordingly - and with a new harness, maybe got rid of the extra relays and wire - you have essentially already done the nutter on it.

You need some kind of ignition control on it unless you go back to points system, whether it is stock or MSD, Summit, HEI module, etc... unless you use an HEI distributor.

Mean Green

Basic User
City
edinburg
State
tx
Cbford,
Thanks, that pretty much covers it- the harness pretty much cleaned up all the extra relays and etc, so essentially it's already been done- thanks again

zr10054

Car and Gun Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Gonzales
State
La
The very best mod I ever made to my 4.2 was the HEI distributor. I think it is more important than a Weber. I have both on my '81 and the Weber is great if you ever get it jetted and tuned correct. I still haven't got mine right yet and I've re-jetted it at least 5 times. They can be a real PIA.