• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Project 1/2 scale(Squirrel)

mysunnshine

Legacy Registered User
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Project 1/2 scale (I shall call him Squirrel)

So amid collecting parts for my 4 link and my aluminum dash, I became lustful of building a 1/2 scale Jeep build in the meantime. My boys are currently 6 and 3yrs so I need to get on the ball and get this thing going. The body was originally for a lawn tractor conversion so it's pretty small. My plan is to put in a shaft drive ATV engine using a Samurai transfer case and axles. The axles will need to be narrowed on the long side but that's not a big deal. Out here in Phoenix, it's damn hard to find a utility ATV and especially one that is wrecked or parting out. I was looking for a unit that was capable of running so I knew it all worked before disassembling the entire ATV. I ended up going up to Vegas to get A Honda 400 ATV. After getting it back to the house and getting it running, I took out the motor and the useable parts. Now it's off to the difficult part of making it all work. I'll post up some pics from my phone since my desktop isn't playing well right now...

Last edited:

mysunnshine

Legacy Registered User
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
af644df258601f32bb358e819cd412c3-1.jpg

6f3c2b5555b1cddf3b46cd6d1170c69b-1.jpg

4db7e1e4faa3236715170e527d892d72-1.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V

mysunnshine

Legacy Registered User
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
After cutting and hacking so far, I've figured out that if I lengthen and widen the body and bit, it'll make the fitment much better. So this weekend is bodywork time. I have to finish that before I can build the frame unfortunately. I have my frame material ordered already along with 16 Heim joints too. My master plan is to have this done by July 4th. We'll see how that works.

Sent from my SM-G920V

Last edited:

Cpittman428

Basic User
City
Fort Collins
State
CO
I have always dreamed of doing this for my future boy(s) some day.... First one due to arrive 12.23.15 I don't have near the skills or tools to complete this task, but if I start learning now maybe by the time he's old enough to use it I'll be halfway ready to build one!! I'll be watching intently!! Looks awesome so far.

b2esq

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Glen Allen
State
VA
As someone else said in another thread: "mysunnshine don't mess around." Indeed.

I really look forward to watching this come together.

mysunnshine

Legacy Registered User
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
With this build, I'm going to try out a retrofit electric power steering unit. I've installed the kits before but not a unit from the junkyard. We'll see how much room I have left under the dashboard after the brake pedal goes in.

275c454692828cc888e06c40b3a537ef-1.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
Looks cool.

What size tires you going to run? Looks like the body's going to have to be up there a bit to clear the motor and tcase.

mysunnshine

Legacy Registered User
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
I'm going to try to run 28" to at most 30" tires on this thing.

Saturday I'm going to start sectioning the tub so it will be about 3" wider and about 4-6" longer. I'm planning on cutting the tub at the rear wheel well, door openings, and the cowl/front fenders so it will at least keep some of the proportions. It'll be a lot of cutting and welding but it'll fit the parts better in the long run. I've already cut out half of the floor already for clearance when I was test fitting this past weekend. ;

Sent from my SM-G920V

cdvcj8

It's Not My Scrambler
Lifetime Member
City
West Friendship
State
MD
Are you doing cage? Or restricting speed? I think this is awesome but my friends call me Mr Safety so I can't help but ask...

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
1/2 scale body with 28" tires = flattie on 56's!!!!

walkerhoundvm

Just trying to stay upright
Lifetime Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
Let me know when it's ready and I'll stop by to test drive it on the I-10 ;)

zr10054

Car and Gun Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Gonzales
State
La
Nice work Mysunnshine. I built a four wheel drive electric Hummer two years ago. It has two 48 volt electric motors putting out 30 HP each. The torque is unbelievable.

Attachments

• P1010037.JPG
    P1010037.JPG
    819.8 KB · Views: 160