• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Engine Control Module taken out. Please help!

Rejackson21

Basic User
City
Spring Hill
State
TN
Need some help. Previous owner pulled out the part shown in the pic. It's the engine control module. I just finished installing the complete painless kit for my Scrambler and I have no idea where the wires to this thing are supposed to go. I can't find a schematic or anything.

With the painless kit, I assumed I was replacing everything needed for the Jeep to run again. Does anyone know where these wires are supposed to land? To make things worse, I've already pulled out the stock I6 and dropped in a 350 V8 crate motor.

Any guidance appreciated in advance.
e07cb9f2255ca2b35a581723a3cc4cd5-1.jpg

eabbf082c603777c14e73b36de438d92-1.jpg

zr10054

Car and Gun Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Gonzales
State
La
I may be wrong but If the ECM is removed it's probably because an HEI distributor was installed on the engine. You could need a different Painless harness if this is the case.

AK-RWC

Legacy Registered User
Gold Member
City
south central
State
AK
You put in a 350? Throw that box away.

For my first engine swap in my '85 CJ-7, I actually paid somebody to clean up my wiring after I got the SBC 350 fired up. Every wire to that box was cut.

Then I got my '84 and put in a 304. Not knowing better at the time, I saved every inch of wire that I didn't use. A couple years later it got upgraded to a 360, and I put in EFI. That eventually prompted me to spend an afternoon going through my wiring harness to do a Nutter by-pass and get rid of all the unnecessary wires. Much to my chagrin, 75% of my wiring harness ended up on the floor, and again I discovered that I had zero need for that box.

My understanding is that it's for the electronically controlled variable-Venturi carb that came on the later model 258s. Ditch that carb and you don't need the box.

jims chop shop

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
stafford
State
va
My understanding is that it's for the electronically controlled variable-Venturi carb that came on the later model 258s. Ditch that carb and you don't need the box.

Agreed !
83-up used that box and carb
You will not Need it any longer with the Chevy 350, you also will not need the ignition module on the fenderwell if your new motor has a one wire HEI distributor