• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

What is the electrical box on top of my heater?

Loyalpoke

Legacy Registered User
Lifetime Member
City
Stillwater
State
ok
Thanks in advance, I am a real greenhorn about this stuff. I just pulled my dash for the first time to start to work on heat/defroster. There is what seems to be an electrical box sitting on top of the heater motor housing( behind the glove box) that is a bit smaller than a radio. What is it?

b2esq

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Glen Allen
State
VA
Picture would be a great head start. But (assuming your Jeep is mostly stock) it's 99% going to be the CEC (emissions computer). Right location, right description. On the other hand... POs have a habit of doing odd things.

Loyalpoke

Legacy Registered User
Lifetime Member
City
Stillwater
State
ok
That makes sense, thank you. Yes my old jeep is pretty much stock. Now I may be opening a pandora's box of questions and issues but...

I believe over time most of the emissions stuff is removed or non-functioning? Is the computer necessary or even functioning and if so can I just unplug and remove it? Is a nutter bypass what I should do?

CBRogers

Perpetual Parts Collector
Lifetime Member
City
Yorktown
State
Va
No on the nutter.

Just replace the carb with a MC2100 or go all in with Howell TBI.

Switch to a HEI type distributor, of the upgraded Ford style and call it a day. That will get you running much better and you can eliminate all of that bad technology.

Carl

FLCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Palm Bay
State
FL
I believe over time most of the emissions stuff is removed or non-functioning? Is the computer necessary or even functioning and if so can I just unplug and remove it? Is a nutter bypass what I should do?

I did the Nutter bypass as well as the Ford TFI ignition upgrade.
Night and day difference.
Never had any other types of carb/injection systems to compare it to, so can't advise which is the better way to go in that respect.
Either way, when you redo the vacuum lines go with the most minimalistic system you can.

Loyalpoke

Legacy Registered User
Lifetime Member
City
Stillwater
State
ok
Thanks for your input. Looks like I have a few decisions to make.

New question, I took out the heater blower motor and the housing. I'm trying to get everything cleaned up and refurbed before I reassemble with the new motor and heater core. There is a cable that runs only from the defroster flap into the housing to the flap by the heater core. It does not directly run to the dash on a cable control. It is seized up. I can't find it on Morris or Quadratec. What is it called, anyone know where to order one?