• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Finally did a 4 liink in Oct...

1BADCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Silver City
State
NM
I'm starting to find some wheeling pals down here in NM after 2 years and am getting involved. I have to drive 2 hours to wheel with them but its worth it :D . I've taken over the web site for the Las Cruces Four Wheel Drive Club and for the Chile Challenge... As well I lead 2 trails at the Challenge this year and cant tell you how much fun it is. So that's the update on me for anyone that cares...lol :P

I've finally done a rear 4 link with Coils and shocks on my rig... I will kind of let the pictures tell the story... But I'll tell you I might not ever do this again by myself and on plywood in the dirt. I will also tell anyone thinking of doing it to do a BUNCH of looking, learning and asking, it Way more work than you think it is, especially when your old like me...lol.. I thank Steven (StevenMc) and Tim (trailblazer) for answering Many questions for me, especially Steven, he has been talking to me about this for literally years and never grew tired of me bugging him about it.

First I'll show what I started with (parts)...

First I went with the Senergy MFG 4 link kit. After TONS of looking reading and pricing I thought it the best for what you get and of course quality...
5856002_orig-1.jpg

Next - I went with Clayton Off Roads 14 bolt Truss, just as strong and WAY less expensive than S-MF's was...
6279354_orig-1.jpg

Next - I used Blue Torch Fab's TJ Coil Buckets, very good product and keeps your springs in, don't have to worry about them falling out...
6240766_orig-1.jpg

And I'll just get right to the Coil Spring delema... I was told over and over to go with 2.5" TJ's so I did... Wrong, way to short... So I tried 4" Rough Country's, Better but still two short. Not wanting to buy another pair to short I went with 6" WJ rear coils, damn it, WAY to tall... So I got RE's 5.5" TJ coils... Still slightly to tall, but do have a plan for that... Here they all are after I painted them Regal Red...
1078112_orig-1.jpg

Welp next it all has to come apart...
3915358_orig-1.jpg

It started raining...
7226443_orig-1.jpg

1BADCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Silver City
State
NM
Cont...

Have to cut everything off... BTW that is our 2010 Grand Cherokee with 2.25" lift and 32's :D ...
1805655_orig-1.jpg

5405887_orig-1.jpg

6516359_orig-1.jpg

8109689_orig-1.jpg

3406457_orig-1.jpg

Stuff Welded on...
5464135_orig-1.jpg

1BADCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Silver City
State
NM
Cont...

Got my angles right, least damn close...lol. Welded up my Tubes while I was there, got it hot and let it rip :cool: ...
6537423_orig-1.jpg

OK so I skipped pictures while building the control arms... Measure 500 times, then cut... I had these in and out 3 times before they were where I wanted them, Because I made them 1 inch to long :rant: .
7459245_orig-1.jpg

Not secured yet just kind of in with the first 2.5" Coils...
5015899_orig-1.jpg

1801443_orig-1.jpg

1BADCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Silver City
State
NM
Cont...

So... I had not prerun the trails I was to lead for the Chile Challenge so After I got it all together (with the 2.5'ers) I ran out to Caballo And ran them... It was crazy nice riding and flexy. But not even tall enough, lets just say that my 20 Gal tank is now about 18.5 Gal :confused: .

Then I came home, put in the 4 inchers and ran the Challenge the following weekend... Still two short but AWESOME... OH and yes I ran Bilstien 5125's back there with a 170/60 valving with 11" travel, they were awesome also BUUUT now they are not long enough so I have to sell'em. So I bought a pair of 14" travel Rancho 7000MT's...

And they are not shinny any more...:mad:
4912537_orig-1.jpg

So that's it, other than my spring woes... I did also replace my front Leafs, I've been running RE 1.5 SOA's for 10 years now so that is what I got to replace them with. They has sagged only about an inch and a half, I thought it would have been more... Do I see 41.5 Pit Bulls in my future :idea::cool:

12088540_10206858043983043_7586086597334046541_n.jpg

jammer1

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Maple Hts.
State
Oh
A lot of work. Looks awesome. Any plans on doing the front. A lot more complicated.

mysunnshine

Legacy Registered User
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
What height did the 5.5's settle into as it sits right now on level ground?

Sent from my SM-G920V

1BADCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Silver City
State
NM
Thank you Brian... A number of people told me I would have to learn to wheel it over again but its 100% better than before not the other way around. I wish I had done it years ago.

jammer - Its a ton of work, especially by yourself but worth it after. No immediate plans to to the front as I just replaced the leafs in the front as well. I ran the RE SOA's for about 10 years and while they still worked well the 1.5 of lift was pretty much gone. And yes, way more complicated, I wouldn't attempt the front on my own I don't think.

Errick - I have not driven it all with the 5.5's on it yet, not even out the drive way so I dunno know yet. I'm going back to a full cage and back seat for my dogs so that will add a little more weight, if they don't go down a bit more I'll heat the bottom coils to sag them, but hope I don't have to.

mysunnshine

Legacy Registered User
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
I'm definitely interested in the height of the compressed coil spring. I'm collecting the parts to do the same thing shortly to mine and am trying to figure out like you did which springs to start with to get the ride height correct.

Sent from my SM-G920V

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Very nice. That's on my to-do list in the distant future...

MrBeep

CJ-8 Vendor Supporter
SOA Member
CJ-8.com Vendor
City
Dillsboro
State
IN
Awesome job and wright-up.

zero2wow

SOA old xprez...
Lifetime Member
City
Vancouver
State
WA
Looks like this is on a few of our to do/get done dream/future mods list. Good timing :D

Great pics with the write-up. :thumbsup:
z

unscrambled

Legacy Registered User
City
melbourne shores
State
FL
You did a great job!
Working on unimproved ground is fun!
I've been there myself.
I own either a Matkins,TDK or ? frame, set up for 4 link rear and 3 link front.
It is not welded sections so I lean toward TDK.
Yeah, I don't know which one either!
Got it for a great deal so I'm gonna build it.
I want to run the same tire set up and would like to know what length your upper and lower arms are.
Also what was your measurement for the axle link mounts, the distance vertically between top and bottom.
I have been thinking 9 inches would be correct, but I could be wrong.
I have a nice built 33 spline axles 9 inch with a spool and disc brakes.

1BADCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Silver City
State
NM
Sorry I have not responded here for a while... I actually ended up re-doing a my bottom perches so they are a bit taller and going with the 4inch coils. It put me where I wanted to be for the most part. I may break down and get coil overs but not for a while.

And Vernon, yes I have already decided to do the front also... BUT in the front it will be a 3 link and I am for sure going to do Coil Overs rather than coils and shocks. I've got a pal here with a well built 42 willy's and his is the same as mine in the back (pretty much) but he did coils and shocks up front but its tight up there, even with a full width 60, so I'm just going to get rich man shocks for the front. And I will get Synergy's kit again, its good stuff.

Also Sorry I have not measured anything. Have not even touched it since getting back from the Chile Challenge so it needs some TLC for sure and I'll measure some stuff. One thing I do remember however is that my lowers are 38" long and my uppers are 37-5/8's long... Of course I read later that you want them to be pretty much the same length, so that worked out.

I am also going to go with an inside fuel cell so I can move the axle back. Which means I will have to make new ones... No big!

unscrambled

Legacy Registered User
City
melbourne shores
State
FL
I figured that you were out wheelin' the heck out of it to sort it out.
Thanks for the 4 link measurements.
What will you gain moving the axle back?
I don't know anything about link suspensions so forgive me if the question is dumb!
I am finally going to start on the rear 4 link set up.
And like you I get to work on unimproved ground also!
I 'll keep checking back to see if you post any photos and write ups on the 3 link set up.
Good luck!