• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Floor mounted hand e-brake conversion?

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
Has anyone done this conversion swapping from a foot pedal to a handle e-brake?

I read about it and figured someone here might have. Especially for those with full cages.

Thinking about it while I am going to be messing with the e-brake while swapping the frame. Is it worth doing?

zero2wow

SOA old xprez...
Lifetime Member
City
Vancouver
State
WA
We used Line Locks on z2w my rig. Like them a lot! Great alternative.
z

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
We used Line Locks on z2w my rig. Like them a lot! Great alternative.
z

Hmmm. Had not thought about that. Electronically controlled in the cab?

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
Lifetime Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
Yea they are pretty common on crazy modified rigs and do work well I hear. Also you can see examples of hand brakes on oem RHD CJs but finding parts is pretty tough.

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
In pa, parking brake has to be mechanical to legally pass inspection(unless they have changed the law recently)

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
I was not even thinking about that. I was thinking a simple hand brake from an XJ or something. Still mechanical.

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
In pa, parking brake has to be mechanical to legally pass inspection(unless they have changed the law recently)

Maybe if it was originally mechanical. But my Audi has an electronic one from the factory. They can't fail me for that. Cars, they are a changing.

zero2wow

SOA old xprez...
Lifetime Member
City
Vancouver
State
WA
There are also hydraulic line locks. Do those count as manual?:rolleyes:
z

CBRogers

Perpetual Parts Collector
Lifetime Member
City
Yorktown
State
Va
I think you could also use a set from a TJ. My idea was to put in two. One ofr the left rear and one for the right. Then you have a rear cutting brake.

Kind of a good thing if you do not have a locker in the jeep already.

Carl

zero2wow

SOA old xprez...
Lifetime Member
City
Vancouver
State
WA
Yep, that’s right Carl. :thumbsup:
On z2w I have 3 switches. 1 for both fronts. 1 for left and 1 for right rears.

Brake Switches.jpg

question 668.jpg

question 737.jpg

Attachments

• question 670.jpg
    question 670.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
Lifetime Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
Very nicely done. What brand are those ? I have been looking at them for adding an ebrake to my m715 but I am reading I will need a unit designed for that that can be "left on" rather than just a simple line lock. Yours look like something inbetween. Very nice attention to detail to and wiring neatness too :thumbsup:

jims chop shop

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
stafford
State
va
I've got El Dorado brake calipers for my 14 bolt disc brake conversion
What is the best floor lever to use ?

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
Lifetime Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
I've got El Dorado brake calipers for my 14 bolt disc brake conversion
What is the best floor lever to use ?

I've got Eldorado calipers on a Dana 44 in my 89XJ hooked up to the oem XJ ebrake between the seats. Not saying it's the best but it works and junkyard XJs are a plenty :cheers:

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
I used a junkyard hand lever on mine. Was a bit of a challenge to get hooked up and working, mostly due to running the cable. Lokar makes a universal lever and cable kit that simplifies things immensely.

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
I used a junkyard hand lever on mine. Was a bit of a challenge to get hooked up and working, mostly due to running the cable. Lokar makes a universal lever and cable kit that simplifies things immensely.

Thanks Randy. I will look.

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
Got one from an XJ last weekend. Free. The best price. Now I need to see how to get it to work.

e46762bef095291c38c21c4d4e6e8bd3-1.jpg

Bad Karma

Captain Sarcasm
BENEFACTOR
Lifetime Member
City
Cobourg, Ontario, Cana
State
da
"Emergency" brake has to be a completly separate brake system. It can be mechanical, hydraulic or electric.
On my Scrambler, I run a hydraulic system. Have a hand brake (out of a Porsche [emoji2]) that runs to a Wilwood master then has separate brake lines to Wilwood calipers.
I did include details in my build thread (link in my signature). I'd post the link but im on my phone right now.