• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Building a Brute

Schlap

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Brentwood
State
TN
Many years ago I saw a Brute kit in the Essentials catalog and immediately wanted one.
I bought a 97 TJ in 2000 and drove it until 2007 when I bought a 2006 LJ & gave the TJ to my 4 nephews in California so each of them could drive it for their Jr & Sr years of High School. I got it back last year in rough shape with the same tires I had put on it many years earlier; bald & dry-rotting.
So we decided to build a Brute:
July 2007:DSC00328.JPG
March 2015:BlueJ1.JPGIMG_1779.jpgIMG_2148.jpg

Schlap

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Brentwood
State
TN
I ordered the kit last July, it finally came in last week. While waiting, I stripped much of the interior and swapped doors with the LJ as the Brute needs solid doors. Anyone need any sand interior parts or a tan top in decent shape? I ordered the kit through Tom's 4x4 in Chattanooga & found out Tom had built a Brute several years ago and still drives it to work every day.
IMG_2782.JPGIMG_2784.JPG

cdvcj8

It's Not My Scrambler
Lifetime Member
City
West Friendship
State
MD
Nice! The patina hounds will tell you not to paint it though! ;) Looking forward to this one :)

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
Wow. Slow down!!!! Just kidding. Great work.

Schlap

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Brentwood
State
TN
Anyone need the back half of the body? It's in Chattanooga and free to a good home.
I am going to replace the interior with mist grey; I've never liked the tan interior. Repainting it the original color. Going with a stage 2 Pro Comp suspension & 32" tires, just like my LJ. I'm not changing the fenders & hood as most people do, including Tom's yellow one in one of the pictures. And for now at least, I'm sticking with the 4 Liter, inline 6; it has served me well for 200k and it is still strong. I may change the motor out at some point in the future but I really like my 6.

Schlap

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Brentwood
State
TN
Wow. Slow down!!!! Just kidding. Great work.
HA! I'm getting caught up on a day off. I can't figure out how to post pictures in TapATalk so I have to get caught up when I'm at my computer.

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
When you reply, click the plus on the left.
b9257007d392a8806c734f36cf7a9b71-1.jpg

Then click the icon of picture between the bird and the camera

1d29d66c3a9b0c1f0e79320d1a94d017-1.jpg

Then select the picture from your camera roll.

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
THANK YOU!!

No problem. Makes it so easy. Assuming the pics are on your phone. And you can use the camera if you are taking the pic new while posting. But you probably guessed that

Polarfire

Jeep Aficionado
Lifetime Member
City
Columbia
State
MO
Actually, that doesn't look bad at all after having 4 teenage boys drive it in high school!

Great build!!

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
Actually, that doesn't look bad at all after having 4 teenage boys drive it in high school!

Great build!!

I was thinking the complete opposite. Man did I baby my XJ in HS. I washed, waxed, whatever to keep it looking pristine.

Schlap

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Brentwood
State
TN
I thought those boys in a beach town would keep it washed & waxed.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
This looks good! There's a newer 4 door Unlimited/pickup conversion up here, in Commando Green no less. Dang thing teases and tempts me at least once a week...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454989475.229877.jpg