• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Question about pulsing fuel filter

gazzo

AMC Jeep nutjob
Lifetime Member
City
Fremantle
State
WA
So my CJ10 with the 360 is all good to go on its maiden voyage (more than 200 metres from my shop anyways and up to highway speeds. I'm a little concerned though about the fuel filter. It is the correct one with a return line to tank and the pump is a stock mechanical jobbie.
Sitting at idle I can easily see the filter pulsing in time with the pump and the lines moving relative to that. What worries me is that it may fatigue and break open which might not end well. I have the same filter on other jeeps but haven't seen this thing on them.
Maybe I can just drill the teeny hole out a bit say 2mm instead of 1mm to take some load off?
Interested in any thoughts y'all might have :wave:ImageUploadedByTapatalk1463873977.749367.jpg

mysunnshine

Legacy Registered User
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Copper fuel line? Maybe(hopefully) I'm not seeing it correctly.

Fuel lines from the pump hammer pretty hard but with typical steel line it goes unnoticed.

Sent from my SM-G920V

gazzo

AMC Jeep nutjob
Lifetime Member
City
Fremantle
State
WA
It's the plastic filter itself which worries me. You can see it bulging with each cycle of the pump. It flexes and looks like it might get weak over time and pop open. I'll get a vid tomorrow

Oh yeah, the fuel lines just slightly rusty steel.

Last edited:

CJ8Rockcrawler

The FABLED 8
Lifetime Member
City
Minneapolis
State
MN
Is it just time to replace the fuel filter? Or just bad if it new? It seems like the restriction in the filter is too high.

Sent from my SM-G900V

gazzo

AMC Jeep nutjob
Lifetime Member
City
Fremantle
State
WA
Guess I could get a gauge in there and see what I have. What should I expect to be good enough pressure for a 360 with a 600 square bore Holley?

Dave The Sparky

Rebuilding my CJ8 very,very slowly...
City
Halifax
State
UK
The fuel filter i have is steel,didn't even know you could buy plastic ones!!!

mysunnshine

Legacy Registered User
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
I'll always take the vote for a metal filter. Did the Jeep have a return line on it originally?

Sent from my SM-G920V

gazzo

AMC Jeep nutjob
Lifetime Member
City
Fremantle
State
WA
All my jeeps had return filters. This one was druses though but still had the return line.

gazzo

AMC Jeep nutjob
Lifetime Member
City
Fremantle
State
WA
Nnnhh! Diesel. Dang autocorrect. What did it even correct diesel to?