• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

What is the best lift kit with the softest ride?

Scramlr

Scrambler Rookie
Lifetime Member
City
Arlington
State
TX
Just bought a 1983 Scrambler and doing some restoration to it. I want to get 35's on it but need to add a lift kit.
I have been told that Skyjacker has the best ride but also should look at Old Man Emu.
Need some experienced Scramblers with some advice on these lift kits with the softest ride.

FLCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Palm Bay
State
FL
Just bought a 1983 Scrambler and doing some restoration to it. I want to get 35's on it but need to add a lift kit.
I have been told that Skyjacker has the best ride but also should look at Old Man Emu.
Need some experienced Scramblers with some advice on these lift kits with the softest ride.

Welcome. :wave:

You will never get enough lift with an O.M.E kit. As far as I know they only have 2-1/2" lifts.

There are several members on here that have posted pics of there 8's with differet lifts and tire sizes. I'm sure they will respond soon.

BW one of the mods just installed a BDS lift on his Postal, He has a write up in his online mag.
http://currentissue.jpfreek.com/publication/?m=16482&l=1#{"issue_id":303540,"page":0}

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA

What gears do you have? If you have the stock 2.73s you may to factor that in as well.

As for the lift, I have Rancho 2.5" lift. It is rough. Not soft at all. But I have not driven a CJ with the other lifts so can't really compare. I just know it is stiffer than my YJ I used to have.

Scramlr

Scrambler Rookie
Lifetime Member
City
Arlington
State
TX
I really don't know what gears I have. I assume they are stock. The previous owner said he had done nothing nto the jeep. How will this affect the gears?

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
With 35s you will have a tough time with hills. If you have the five speed, you won't ever see fifth again.

I went to 31s with the 2.73 gears and little mountains here in VA were tough to get up dropping to second and going 25 in a 55. It sucked. I just got 3.31 gears. I have not hit the mountains yet, but my get up and go in first is much improved. I would not even consider 33s with 2.73 gears

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
Take the diff cover off and count the teeth on each of the two gears. Divide the two numbers to see what ratio you have.

Or look for the code on the housing next to the cover. I could no longer see mine so I opened it up to count. Your gears may not match the code anyway

walkerhoundvm

Just trying to stay upright
Lifetime Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
Bigger tires = imminent gear change or bye-bye transmission.

You could look up how to check your gearing, or someone may be along shortly to go over it. No tools other than a scrub brush, a jack and some chalk required.

Dain's way is good, too, but requires removing the diff cover. There are easier ways...

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
There is also a way to use a string on the drive shaft and count rotations as you spin the tires. But I don't know the specifics.

walkerhoundvm

Lifetime Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
OK, here goes.

Lift the rear end so your wheels are off the ground. Make a mark on your rear drive shaft, a dot or something. Make a mark on your rear tire, another dot if you like. Spin your rear wheel, noting if your other wheel moves in the same direction, opposite direction, or not at all. Next spin your wheel ten times, counting how many times you see that dot on the drive shaft go round. If the dot goes round 27 times or so, 2.73 gears; 33 times, 3.31, etc.

The axle is also marked with a code just to the passenger side of the pumpkin, but easy enough to check for certain by the above method.

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
And what does it mean if the wheels turn the same direction or opposite?

walkerhoundvm

Lifetime Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
A couple things - it depends on what sort of traction control you might have back there and that might also mess with your math. Now you'd be making me do more work to look it up and someone likely knows it off the top of their head, but if I recall correctly, my opposite wheel turned the opposite direction, and my drive shaft only went round about 13 times. Whichever it was, the code on my axle was correct and I was stuck with the 2.73s and 31s, which barely holds up. I'm expecting to move up to 3. 07s which I think will be more practical.

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
I had the same situation. Until the frame swap when I acquired new axles with the 3.31s. With 31" tires I am happy. But the highway revs a little higher than I am used to but the same as my JKU. So it seems right. And my speedo is accurate again.

mr. boh

CJ-8 Member
City
Annapolis
State
MD

Since you were looking at OME, I assume you are going to convert to YJ springs? If so, I would look at either BDS or Rubicon Express YJ kits. Both have a 4.5" kit and I believe BDS goes up to 6"

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
You'll need at least a 4.5" lift kit and a 1" body lift for 35s. And you still won't clear the tires if you're flexing off road . It's what I have with 33s and I can get twisted up and rub them. So, unless it's going to be a street queen or mall crawler, you'll need plenty of lift and gear for 35s.

Spieg

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Aurora
State
CO
The chalk and spin method works pretty well but can be difficult to tell between a 3.73:1 or 3.90:1 for example (unless you want to spin tire 100 times and count shaft rotations).

Being that you just got this and the PO said he had not done anything to it, I'd suggest you open both differentials and inspect the gears/bearings/etc anyway. Clean it up while your in there and then put it back together with some fresh gear oil.
The ratio or tooth count is usually printed on the outside edge of the ring gear... 45/11 in this example = 4.09:1

Ring Gear.jpg

Last edited:

Scramlr

Scrambler Rookie
Lifetime Member
City
Arlington
State
TX
Thanks for the info. Very little trails, mall crawler for sure on this one. looking for another jeep to build as a rock crawler.

Scramlr

Scrambler Rookie
Lifetime Member
City
Arlington
State
TX
Just looking to do street driving, mall crawler. I have 4 speed.

ineedajeep

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Lake Charles
State
LA
If your going to 35" tires it doesn't matter what stock gear you have as you will need to go to at least 4.56 gears. If you have a 4 speed your final trans drive is 1/1. Forget about what you have and worry about about what you are going to install. If you are going to the trouble of changing gears, you will want some sort of locker or limited slip. For the street I would recommend "True Trac" differentials. Can't beat them on the street. Good luck with whatever you decide to do. Going to 35"s is quite an under taking if you do it right.