• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Could the JK be dying?

Wyatt1234

Basic User
City
Orange
State
TX
2016 is half way over. The YJ lasted for 9 years, the TJ lasted for 9 years, the JK came out in 2007, so if Chrysler follows the same rule 2017 will be something different. If this is true, are you optimistic? I am because I never was fond of the the JK's rectangular grille, and squaredoor off doors. I'd hope theyd go back to the CJ 5/6/7/8 styling like they did with the TJ era. What would really be sweet is if they brought back the YJ, only this time, put a CJ dash, and front clip on it. I doubt that would happen though. Though most importantly I want to see a 2017 Scrambler!:headbang:

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
The JL is already out in testing. It will be a 2018 model. There are spy photos on the web. It looks a lot like a JK but with more slope to the grill and the windshield. Sorry. But no change until 2018 and not much change at all.

Kane

CJ-8 Member
City
Berlin
State
ct
I see the independent front and rear happening very soon due to gas mileage laws and other factors

Bad Karma

Captain Sarcasm
BENEFACTOR
Lifetime Member
City
Cobourg, Ontario, Cana
State
da
No IFS in spy pics. Still solid axles.

Wyatt1234

Basic User
City
Orange
State
TX
Thanks. But is there laws regarding gas mileage? I think this new JL prototype is pretty ugly. What I discovered is the milenial Jeepers will buy any thing with wrangler stamped on it. Show one of these people are picture of a wagoneer, or J pickup, they'd never guess it was a jeep! Terms like CJ, YJ, TJ, JK are meaningless to them. To them a CJ is just an old mud toy, not fit for the street. Though I still drive my CJ8 down the streets with pride, giving a wave to the JK crowd, out of pity because Their Jeep, will be as much of a Jeep as mine.:headbang

Kim Dawson

CJ-8 Member
City
Molalla
State
Or
Is the JK dying? I'm sure JerseyJeeps would put it out of it's misery if he had the chance. Cadillac was a huge car for a long time and then came down to a more practical size. Jeeps have been moving up toward the size of a Hummer and are still on that path. Older Jeeps are able to go places the Hummer size vehicles won't fit. . .but if you stick to the pavement or open areas, a Hummer-size 4X4 is just fine. Which brings you back to the question, "What was the original purpose of the Jeep?". So what are they trying to make it into now?

Wyatt1234

Basic User
City
Orange
State
TX
The current JK does a better job filling the old cherokee, and wagoneers niches. Yes they still make the the cherokee, but its not as much as a serious off road vehicle like the '70s era ones, and the XJ. When people want dedicated off road they typically but a side by side ATV, such as the Polaris ranger or Honda big red. That is why the bronco, blazer, samurai, land cruiser are no longer in production. People have forgotten what the jeep was truly meant to be...I'll buy a street legal 4x4 for less before I spend a mint on a side by side.In my area your not cool unless you have a side by side. But as you can see, I don't jump bandwagons.

jeepinjosh

Basic User
City
pell city
State
al
the JK...took what was a "niche" vehicle to main stream...they wont stray too far.

In today's tuff car market they are still able to sell 40k jeeps all day long to soccer moms, teenagers, working women, working men, and all the "jeep" people who are upgrading or adding to their collection.

i personally am not a huge fan of them..but i would be the JK has outsold ever single jeep production run in jeeps long history.

Wyatt1234

Basic User
City
Orange
State
TX
I heard some high school boys talking, and one saying he couldn't decide on a pickup or a Jeep, in my mind i think gladiator, commanchee, or scrambler. But these people thato call themselves jeepers aren't really Jeeperst. Just people that got on a band wagon.

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
the JK...took what was a "niche" vehicle to main stream...they wont stray too far.

In today's tuff car market they are still able to sell 40k jeeps all day long to soccer moms, teenagers, working women, working men, and all the "jeep" people who are upgrading or adding to their collection.

i personally am not a huge fan of them..but i would be the JK has outsold ever single jeep production run in jeeps long history.

They are definitely good sellers in the DC metro area. They are everywhere. Including my driveway to be honest. Downsized from an Expedition EL and wanted something for the kids to drive and be safe. Wife wanted 4wd and 4 doors. Almost had a grand waggy. But she wanted something a lot newer. I like the JkU. But I like my Scrambler a lot more.

tower210

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Olathe
State
KS
Best thing about the JK is that we will all have an infinite supply of ridiculously capable off road rigs in 5-7 years.....to save the condition of our scrambles.

Wyatt1234

Basic User
City
Orange
State
TX
Saving condition of our scramblers? They are made to use! If you get it dirty, clean it, if something breaks, fix it. If it rusts weld it. After all wouldnt you do the same to a new vehicle? They're no fun hidden away in the garage.

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
67dd2f3542a07f441c5cbc3c9220f62d-1.jpg

Got mine initiated a couple of weekends ago. More trips with harder trails are planned this summer. So yes, mine was built to drive to work and off road.

Moabite

CJ-8 Member
City
Moab
State
UT
The JK isn't dying. There are too many people out there who prefer comfort and plastic luxury over good ol' fashioned, down-n-dirty off-road fun. The JK is spectacularly thriving...and that's a good thing. From what I've seen, the JL isn't different enough to deserve a new letter designation (though I haven't seen Chrysler officially designate it as the JL)...and I certainly hope they don't call the new Wrangler pickup a Scrambler. There will, of course, be the inevitable comparisons and it may actually revive interest in our classic Jeeps. Have you heard the story of Frank and the Three Jeeps? He enjoyed a Scrambler for 14 years until, like a fool, he thoughtlessly sold it one day. Then after 7 years without a Jeep, he bought one of the first new Rubicons in '03. It was a fantastic Jeep but it was just too small. He thought he wanted a larger JK...so he sold the TJ and brought home a new 2013 Unlimited Rubicon. It didn't take long for him to realize his mistake. The JK was just too big, too fancy, too computerized, and too difficult to lower the windshield. Frank finally realized that, all along, the Scrambler was "just right." In a typical fairy tale ending, he was able to track down his trusty, and luckily non-rusty, ol' CJ8 friend and they are once again Jeeping happily ever after.

Last edited:

highlandercj-7

Loc'k n Loaded
City
Pittsburgh
State
PA
Rumor has it the Ram's lil Diesel is an option in the new Wrangler and it's boasting over 30 MPG. I would love to see it with the same towing capacity of a half ton Ram. Offering it as a Brute type configuration and I'd be all in.

The other option I'd love to see released would be a Jeep Full Size truck, retro'd around a M-715 persona. IE maybe a M-2018, say a 3/4 ton Ram based, crew cab, with removable top, Cummins Diesel and 37's stock.

Kim Dawson

CJ-8 Member
City
Molalla
State
Or
How about an end-of-the-world Dreadnaught model that's bullitproof and ready to plough it's way through the rubble and out of the city.

gazzo

AMC Jeep nutjob
Lifetime Member
City
Fremantle
State
WA
"Land Cruisers no longer in production" er, not so sure about that.

More slope to the JL windscreen which I'm not looking forward to seeing. No longer being able to drop the windshield is tolerable but when the whole top no longer comes off will toll the bell for the "iconic" Jeep. That is the single and only thing that can connect JKs to our preferred Heeps. Maybe seven slots too :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Wyatt1234

Basic User
City
Orange
State
TX
I thought the iconic jeep ended when we entered the JK era, we left the iconic jeep behind. I would say it ended when the TJ came out, but at least it had a slight resemblance to Jeeps of the past. People hate the YJ, but if you look past the modern front clip, and plush interior, in terms of build quality, such as galvanized tubs,and wider frames. The YJ is probaly one of the best ever made, and the last real jeep. I drive a CJ, so don't think I'm a smug YJ owner.

Kim Dawson

CJ-8 Member
City
Molalla
State
Or
Rugged, simple, durable, easy to troubleshoot and maintain. That's what I prefer for my Jeeps. I put my kids in YJs, TJs and occasionally let them drive one of my CJ8s. YJs have the printed circuit instrument cluster and more than their share of emission equipment, vacuum lines and switches. The newer the Jeep, the more complicated the systems get. If money isn't a problem and you like the newer Jeeps with the modern more complicated technology then that's fine. I like simplicity. No computor controling the engine or the transmission or the fuel system is a plus in my book. I did put a Howel FI on one of my 8s. I think Wyatt is right, the iconic Jeeps were phased out when the JK arrived. Different strokes for different folks.

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
As much as we would all love to see something like the CJ's produced again......

A. It wouldn't sell well compared to something like a JK. The wussification of this country has been severe. Safe spaces, hate speech, air conditioned seats....I won't go into a full political rant, but the average males in this country have turned into a bunch of pansy man-children these days who want something that looks "bro" but that is comfortable and can get them back and forth to Starbucks every day. That said, most of the "Jeep" buyers now are soccer moms who want to ride around with the top down. When you look at the market now for "Jeeps" most of the buyers are NOT outdoor people, they're posers.

B. Our government, in all its wisdom, has enacted so many laws and regulations now that ANY vehicle that is produced is going to share very few traits with a CJ. It doesn't matter that we are supposed to be a free country, they simply forced the businesses to stop offering things that aren't good for us, all in the "we know what's best for you" pretence. Look at the Rover Defender 90. Can't get them here anymore because the government safety standards make it more trouble than it was worth to import them.

Bottom line, hug your CJ's. Unless we have a massive awakening in this country things will continue to get softer and less free every day.