• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Satellite radio antennae location?

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
So I am going to be installing a new head unit in my console today and have the sirius tuner and antennae for it. For anyone who is using satellite radio in the Scrambler, where do you have the antennae? I am thinking of putting it in front of the windshield on the cowl and running the wire along the gasket between the windshield and the dash.

I thought about hiding the antennae in the cowl vent. But maybe that will block the reception. Ideas?

BRKLYNZ28

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
BROOKLYN
State
NY
I had mine on the inside of the windshield. It was magnetic so it stayed on there without problem.

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
Lifetime Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
I've got one right near that cowl vent. It's on the army tan flat painted one, and I was able to paint over it and it didn't effect the reception. And on the overlander , I have it on the top of the mirror head. It was kind of a temporary idea previous to the 2000 mile road trip to sandblast and Toledo, and needs to be removed. But it was the way I did it without it being on the paint. . It was a tiny one that is only 3/4" or so square. Unfortunately no pics of each , both are not in front of me. Here's another tip, mount on the driver side or more to the center of the road. If on a heavy tree'd street, it helps a lot. :wave:

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
Thanks guys. The magnet won't help on my glass body, so i will be using double face tape. I am going to fold the windshield and run it to the cowl area. And I will use you idea Eric and put it closer to the driver side. I definitely have enough wire. Thanks a lot

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
Here is where I mounted it.
image.jpg

don87401

Original Owner
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Farmington
State
NM
My 2006 Jeep factory one is on the drivers side roll bar under the padding.

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
My 2006 Jeep factory one is on the drivers side roll bar under the padding.
I thought about the rollbar as well, but would have required more holes to take it under the bulkhead. And I don't have padding to hide it or the wires.

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
How about mounting it on the black windshield hinge to kinda hide it?

Sent from my SM-J320P

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
How about mounting it on the black windshield hinge to kinda hide it?

Sent from my SM-J320P

Good idea! Why didn't I think of that? And it is metal so it would stick there. I may see about moving it tomorrow.

CJ8Rockcrawler

The FABLED 8
Lifetime Member
City
Minneapolis
State
MN
I've seen then on the cowl right by the air intake for the hvac as well. I think that was on a TJ though, so the spacing is a little different.

Sent from my SM-G900V

Bad Karma

Captain Sarcasm
BENEFACTOR
Lifetime Member
City
Cobourg, Ontario, Cana
State
da
for my Speedhut GPS antenna (about the same size), I mounted it IN the air duct under the cowl vent cover. Can't see it unless you look and always have had perfect reception.

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
for my Speedhut GPS antenna (about the same size), I mounted it IN the air duct under the cowl vent cover. Can't see it unless you look and always have had perfect reception.

I thought about that location. But wasn't sure of the reception I would get.

So far I am happy with where it is. I don't mind seeing it. I did notice signal cutting out while going along a road flanked by trees. Reception in my other 2 vehicles that came with sirius already installed seems a bit better. But I won't complain.

Bad Karma

Captain Sarcasm
BENEFACTOR
Lifetime Member
City
Cobourg, Ontario, Cana
State
da
Only time I have lost signal was in tunnels in Colorado.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Only time I have lost signal was in tunnels in Colorado.

Same here, but FWIW, I think GPS signal and satellite radio signals are apples and oranges in terms of bandwidth and strength. We've had some bad luck with satellite radio signal, even on Kate's JKU where it was all factory installed. Any trees of any kind would cause her to drop signal on the radio.

If it were me, I'd make a small metal angle bracket that picked up some stock bolts on the back side of the windshield and then put the antenna on that, facing up. Keeps it inside, up high where nothing on the body can block it (it will work fine right through fiberglass or a soft top).

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
If it were me, I'd make a small metal angle bracket that picked up some stock bolts on the back side of the windshield and then put the antenna on that, facing up. Keeps it inside, up high where nothing on the body can block it (it will work fine right through fiberglass or a soft top).

Winner!

trust

PITA
City
White Rock
State
NM
I have mine on the cage, center span, its two parallel tubes with a sheet between them (Rockhard cage kit) sits in there fine and can see through both soft and hard tops.

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
I have mine on the cage, center span, its two parallel tubes with a sheet between them (Rockhard cage kit) sits in there fine and can see through both soft and hard tops.

Ooh yeah. When I put in a front cage, that will be a good place for it.