• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

show me your CJ sideview mirrors

zr10054

Car and Gun Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Gonzales
State
La
I'm not liking the stock CJ-8 side view mirrors shaking so much and was wondering if anyone has replaced them with something better. It looks like mirrors from a late model YJ or TJ just may fit bolted up to the door hinge plate.
Post pictures of what you are using. Heck even some small version of west coast mirrors like on the big rigs.

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
Lifetime Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
IMHO ,The side view mirrors get a bad rap because if you have the thinner replacement Chinese / Bangladesh arms and brackets they don't stand a chance at any speed. We had a thread on here about this I recall. :wave:

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
Are your mirrors the oem ones Dennis? I hear they are much better than the aftermarket. I have had the kentrol crap and now have black smittybuilt. Both shake.

I like the euro ones like Dave the Sparky and CB run.

For YJ mirrors, you will need to switch out your upper hinges (another trip to the painter) right? Unless Stump Jumper already has YJ hinges. Those are a good option if you always plan to have the doors on.

Dave The Sparky

Rebuilding my CJ8 very,very slowly...
City
Halifax
State
UK
Dain is right the Euro ones dont shake at all and work very well as mirrors too, so heartily recommended.
I am struggling trying to find an intact bracket for Jambo though so finding some more may be a problem, but if i keep one eye on Ebay etc for them i am sure something will pop up as they are very much in demand by the looks of it!

stickersrh.jpg

gazzo

AMC Jeep nutjob
Lifetime Member
City
Fremantle
State
WA
I would but they haven't stopped shaking after my highway run last weekend :goodgrief:
Seriously though the right is good but the left arm is Chinee so useless. One thing I've grown used to is convex "see all" mirrors from my work ute.

zr10054

Car and Gun Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Gonzales
State
La
I do have aftermarket mirrors on Stump jumper now and I know that's part of the problem but I still have the OEM hinges that I had powder coated. I haven't seen much of anything after market from Omix ida, Kentrol or Crown that seem to last yet.
I could learn to like those Euro units. Keep showing me pictures.

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
Are your mirrors the oem ones Dennis? I hear they are much better than the aftermarket. I have had the kentrol crap and now have black smittybuilt. Both shake.

I like the euro ones like Dave the Sparky and CB run.

For YJ mirrors, you will need to switch out your upper hinges (another trip to the painter) right? Unless Stump Jumper already has YJ hinges. Those are a good option if you always plan to have the doors on.
I drilled and tapped the OEM hinges on my full doors and run the YJ/TJ mirrors, no painting required. I swap them over to my half doors when I switch doors.

zr10054

Car and Gun Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Gonzales
State
La
I drilled and tapped the OEM hinges on my full doors and run the YJ/TJ mirrors, no painting required. I swap them over to my half doors when I switch doors.
That's the kind of information I wanted. do you have a picture too?
BTW, I don't plan on ever running Stump Jumper without the doors so the mirrors will be permanent.

Ambcj

Basic User
City
Sydney ,au
State
Ns
Hi Ive got tj mirrors on my CJ-8,I've tried to post a photo but i can't do it

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA

And this is the winner!

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
Lifetime Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
How bout powder coating some OEM mirror arms and brackets and mirror heads ZR? Just my two cents, the OEM ones when all OEM do not shake :wave:

hefavitzen

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Rock Hill
State
SC
Dain is right the Euro ones dont shake at all and work very well as mirrors too, so heartily recommended.
I am struggling trying to find an intact bracket for Jambo though so finding some more may be a problem, but if i keep one eye on Ebay etc for them i am sure something will pop up as they are very much in demand by the looks of it!

View attachment 54918

Where can I get some of these Euro mirrors!?!!?!?

I have a convex passenger side mirror and would STRONGLY recommend them. Freaking fantastic visibility over a stock mirror.

BRKLYNZ28

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
BROOKLYN
State
NY
I like the yj mirror style better and you can acually see out of them.. lol

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
I like the yj mirror style better and you can acually see out of them.. lol

I agree......when the doors are on. I run doorless pretty much all summer so that does not work for me. And then when I do have doors on, I don't want multiple mirror sets. So, I will stick with the body mounted mirrors. They work better for me.

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
Where can I get some of these Euro mirrors!?!!?!?

I have a convex passenger side mirror and would STRONGLY recommend them. Freaking fantastic visibility over a stock mirror.

There was another thread on this... I have the heads for the mirrors, Dave the Sparky had the base arms and one of the bases that would need to be fixed up... can't find the thread.

cb

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
I also have a huge tub of all the old mirrors I have taken off the last 5-6 Jeeps I have parted out... I am with Jersey, if you take some of the arms, heads, etc. and powercoat/paint them and then get new bushings (if they are worn), you woudl be in pretty good shape.

I am also thinking about some sort of dampener maybe inside the arm? I know in some applications they can hang counter weights to offset swaying (in large/tall buildings), I wonder if anything could be done in this case.

cb

BRKLYNZ28

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
BROOKLYN
State
NY
I dont understand i dont have problems with my 8s stock mirrors. You guys sure you tightening the bolts all the way?

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
Wonder if the engine is just rumbling way more than a stock 6

cb
Sent from the garage

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
12000ea071d34d530ae5d058e7716bcf_zpsed90-1.jpg

You'll probably have to zoom in to see much. I'll have to take a close up if you want to see the screws. These doors are off now and the mirrors moved to my half doors.