• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Replacement Temp & Fuel Gauge

bordo380

CJ-8 Member
City
Arlington
State
Tx
I know it's been a well covered topic but what is the "best" replacement for these?
Omix-Ada or the Crown or something else?

My fuel gauge works ok. Half full means empty but that's ok for me better than not at all. Resistance is correct on sending unit last time I checked.

Temp is inoperable.

Experts?

tower210

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Olathe
State
KS

Speedhut! Not even close, comes with a swanky gps speedometer.

You can add their capacitive fuel sender and never worry about the float filling with fuel again.

tower210

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Olathe
State
KS
Or....If you really want to keep your OE speedometer, the OEM gauges were borg warner, but they are practically unobtanium.

I haven't had luck with crown or omix on the gauges.

bordo380

CJ-8 Member
City
Arlington
State
Tx
Right on thanks for the direction. I plan on going the speedhut route when I replace everything on the dash. I just need a temp"temp" gauge till then. Ha.

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
Right on thanks for the direction. I plan on going the speedhut route when I replace everything on the dash. I just need a temp"temp" gauge till then. Ha.

As a "temp"orary solution, I am using autometer gauges until I redo my dash (and will probably go with the speedhut then)

fd946681e3b1c12522642148496b1c3f-1.jpg

bordo380

CJ-8 Member
City
Arlington
State
Tx
Yeah that's what I'll prob do too Dain. I've seen a lot of those types hanging under many jeeps. It must be a trend.
Do those link up well to existing fuel send? I know the temps come with their own sensor right?

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
Yeah that's what I'll prob do too Dain. I've seen a lot of those types hanging under many jeeps. It must be a trend.
Do those link up well to existing fuel send? I know the temps come with their own sensor right?

Since I still had resistance at the wires, I just disconnected from the stock gauges and moved the wires to the replacements, and boom. They worked.

bordo380

CJ-8 Member
City
Arlington
State
Tx
Wow what luck Dain! Those Autometers are great quality.
My oil pressure gauge bit the dust too. I think I might get the triple mount.

bordo380

CJ-8 Member
City
Arlington
State
Tx

Dain how did you find that 2 gauge combo? Not even the triple gauge kit has the fuel with it. It's usually volts,oil,and temp.

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
Dain how did you find that 2 gauge combo? Not even the triple gauge kit has the fuel with it. It's usually volts,oil,and temp.

Bought the three pieces ( two gauges and the mounting plate) separately. Could not find the right combo. Made my own.

bordo380

CJ-8 Member
City
Arlington
State
Tx
Yeah so I bought the Bosh temp gauge and it works great. I just had to relocate the sending unit to a port on the side of the block. I wish it would have fit in the original location. It was too long. I should have coughed up the extra 35 bucks to keep my original located sending unit that would work with the Autometer like you did Dain. Live and learn I guess. Oh well I got a temp gauge now. :)

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
Yeah so I bought the Bosh temp gauge and it works great. I just had to relocate the sending unit to a port on the side of the block. I wish it would have fit in the original location. It was too long. I should have coughed up the extra 35 bucks to keep my original located sending unit that would work with the Autometer like you did Dain. Live and learn I guess. Oh well I got a temp gauge now. :)

Glad it is working for you. I ended up having the temp sensor break off in the engine and I filled it with jb weld after fighting with it. Got a replacement that goes in the radiator hose. It had two bungs so I have the temp sending unit and the sensor for the e-fan in it. Happy with the results.

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
Autometer used to make ones that would fit right in the CJ Dash without cutting

Sent from my SM-J320P

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
Autometer used to make ones that would fit right in the CJ Dash without cutting

Sent from my SM-J320P

Replacements for the ones in the speedo? Or ones the right size for the voltmeter hole?

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
For the ones in the two holes above the radio

Sent from my SM-J320P