• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Need some wiring help with wiper switch

ScramblerTN

Basic User
City
Lenoir city
State
Tn
I've discovered that my wiring to my switch isn't working on the new painless harness. I BELIEVE it's because I have an intermittent wiper switch. The painless kit came with a new pigtail to plug into the switch but you have to reuse the factory plug. Well that's what I did but now I'm missing the little black box in the factory harness for the intermittent wipers. I'm guessing this is my issue. So...I need to plug the factory wires back into the red plug then I should be able to use the box? Problem is the factory wire colors going into the plug are different than the painless harness. Does anyone have a harness laying around with this plug to snap a few pictures?

ScramblerTN

Basic User
City
Lenoir city
State
Tn
69bb68104c6233ee48d95f9d3722180c-1.jpg
6110b19fb19eaafd16e83636259071d3-1.jpg

Pictures always help

ScramblerTN

Basic User
City
Lenoir city
State
Tn
You can see the wires on the right side of the bottom picture are what used to go into the red plug

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
Lifetime Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
Are you looking for what the uncut black box "assembly" looks like ? Are those cut wires on that you are showing and a plug missing ?

ScramblerTN

Basic User
City
Lenoir city
State
Tn
Are you looking for what the uncut black box "assembly" looks like ? Are those cut wires on that you are showing and a plug missing ?

Yes, those wires went into the red plug which goes to the switch. The painless kit says to remove factory wires from red plug and insert the pigtail they provided. I believe I need to reuse the factory wiring since I have the intermittent wipers. I need to know how the factory wires go back into the red plug ( wiring colors are different than painless kit)

jammer1

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Maple Hts.
State
Oh
I've installed the intermittent wipers on my cj7 with the painless wiring harness. If I remember right I didn't have a painless plug but cut and used the wires from the stock switch. If I'm remembering correct there's only 3 or 4 wires. Jeeps at the trans guy so I Will try to check the cj8 build I'm doing ( I did the intermittent switch with painless harness) but I didn't check If it works yet. Here's a pic on the bench, If I remember right a yellow wire (washer pump), red wire (Ignition 12v), white wire (ground).20160206_131731_resized_edited-1.jpg

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
Lifetime Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
I am also not in front of the intermittent setups I have but basically it's those 4 wires. If you don't have the intermittent setup it is just 3. Perhaps not too many overall to just try out without hurting anything using what he just said as those wire colors are exactly correct.

ScramblerTN

Basic User
City
Lenoir city
State
Tn
I think what I might do is just order a standard non-intermittent switch and be done with it.

4miles

CJ-8 Member
City
Virginia Beach
State
VA
Here is a picture of the wiring on the plug of a 4 wire intermittent wiper. It looks like you have everything you would need if you have the 4 wire wiper motor. I believe 3 wire motor would only work with the 3 wire switch and 4 wire motor with the 4 wire switch. I agree with Jammer above that you should only need 12V to red wire and the yellow would go to the washer. The white on the wiper switch would go to ground.

IMG_1780.JPG
IMG_1781.JPG

jammer1

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Maple Hts.
State
Oh
He beat me home to the computer. Since I did the work here's other pics of the plug and wire code written out from the wire side of plug. Also is a pic of one wired into the painless harness (old style where you use the painless 12v ignition wire and washer pump wire).20160825_121129_resized.jpg20160825_160835_resized.jpg20160825_161247_resized.jpg20160825_161256_resized.jpg

mysunnshine

Legacy Registered User
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
The wiring needs to be done to the black connector(from the Painless) and not to the red one right?

4miles

CJ-8 Member
City
Virginia Beach
State
VA
The wiring needs to be done to the black connector(from the Painless) and not to the red one right?

Correct, the black connector is removed from the factory harness and reused. The only 2 wires that connect the wiper wiring assembly and come from the original harness are the red with white stripe and the yellow which goes to the washer that are in the bottom right of picture. Not sure how the painless plug is wired, but these are the parts needed for a 3 wire to 4 wire intermittent conversion which includes the black connector removed from a later factory harness.
View attachment 55368

Last edited:

4miles

CJ-8 Member
City
Virginia Beach
State
VA
The painless plug could be correct if it is for 84 - 85 and has the 4 wire connector for the wiper motor coming from it, but would plug into black connector and not the switch. Can't tell from your picture.

zenarcher

Basic User
City
charlotte
State
NC
Wiper wiring woes...

I'm having a similar issue, but I don't have the painless harness. I do have the 4 wire motor, but I don't think its grounded, is it supposed to be? Also, the wiper switches that I have don't have the white ground wire. In looking at the schematics in the FSM, none of the wire colors match up! The FSM also seems to indicate that the motor needs to be grounded but not the switch. I tried to match up the wires based on the plug orientation, to no avail...

ScramblerTN

Basic User
City
Lenoir city
State
Tn
I'm having a similar issue, but I don't have the painless harness. I do have the 4 wire motor, but I don't think its grounded, is it supposed to be? Also, the wiper switches that I have don't have the white ground wire. In looking at the schematics in the FSM, none of the wire colors match up! The FSM also seems to indicate that the motor needs to be grounded but not the switch. I tried to match up the wires based on the plug orientation, to no avail...

Do you have intermittent wipers or regular?

zenarcher

Basic User
City
charlotte
State
NC
I have the intermittent setup, and I tried bypassing it as well. I think rats nest would be too kind to describe the wiring mess under my dash...

9f6d894062-1.jpg