• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Clear coat on vinyl seats?

JeepWillis

Basic User
City
Austin
State
Tx
I'm looking to protect my original vinyl seats from the sun,etc. I've been told the best way to protect my seats is to take them out and bubble wrap them in my garage lol. But in all seriousness, has anyone ever applied a clear coat to your seats? I just re-did a dash pad and finished it with a nice clear coat, came out really good and it offers a layer of protection from the sun and moisture.

Thoughts?

Rosco1974

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Oklahoma City
State
OK
I think it would not work with the flex of the surface. Would just pop, flake off. Moderate coat of beeswax?

JeepWillis

Basic User
City
Austin
State
Tx
Rain gear jeep cover , but used to keep out the sun?

Not necessarily from rain. I drive my Scrambler everyday it doesn't rain, and I don't roll with a top or bikini, so I'm just trying to keep my seats from cracking and drying out as long as possible. Strictly a sun thing, but I do get in wet ever so often either from the pool or sweaty from the gym

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
Lifetime Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
I'm sorry , I meant the brand. This one is mounted backwards tho, it's a CJ7 one on a J10. As much as they are great for a rainstorm, I use these a lot keep the sun out [emoji41]

e0c6dcb9e7f3ad34ef6af44ddfc5b87a-1.jpg

JeepWillis

Basic User
City
Austin
State
Tx
Nevermind, just found a Flexible Vinyl Clear coat by SEM, providing excellent UV protection, won't yellow and won't crack. This was actually started as a Marine product, so that's a good start too. This looks like it'll work good!

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
Lifetime Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
Not all the Time ! But to be worried about it, the most worried time is during the day , when most of us work. So covering em up just 4-5 days out of 7 during peak sun hours goes a long way. They don't sell those sunshade thingies either for your sisters BMW for nothing ! :)

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
Lifetime Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
Nevermind, just found a Flexible Vinyl Clear coat by SEM, providing excellent UV protection, won't yellow and won't crack. This was actually started as a Marine product, so that's a good start too. This looks like it'll work good!

Please post up a review here if you don't mind. I am skeptical any product can flex and protect. And would be concerned using it on irreplaceable things. Like minty nutmeg/honey [emoji15]

JeepWillis

Basic User
City
Austin
State
Tx
Please post up a review here if you don't mind. I am skeptical any product can flex and protect. And would be concerned using it on irreplaceable things. Like minty nutmeg/honey [emoji15]

As opposed to letting those minty honey seats rot in the sun? At least we're on the same page!

As for the review, will do! I kinda wish I had another seat just to test it out on quite frankly...

Polarfire

Jeep Aficionado
Lifetime Member
City
Columbia
State
MO
I'm with JJ. A good cover to keep the sun off the seats when not in use is the best way to preserve them. UV is what kills the material.

gazzo

AMC Jeep nutjob
Lifetime Member
City
Fremantle
State
WA
A set of Bestop trailered covers to keep the look but save the seats? And a word on your booty sweat from the gym or pool water/beach water beware!!! All the metalwork in the seat frames and springs is barely coated if at all. Most people don't think about this until it's too late and the frames rot away