• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Does anyone still run bed rails?

Bed Rails or No Bed Rails

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SCJeeper

Legacy Registered User
City
Pickens
State
SC
What's up guys!? I was just wondering who on here has bed rails installed. I'm getting ready to go back to half cab mode and just had the thought of making some to factory specs and staining them to match my half cab. Post pictures up of yours if you have them. Let me know what you think. Here is a picture of what it will look like.

Thanks!

Untitled by SCJeepr, on Flickr

Moabite

CJ-8 Member
City
Moab
State
UT
I'd paint those half doors too. Personally, I think a half cab Scrambler looks strangely out of balance without the side boards. I recently had my original signs re-painted by the same artist who did them in 1982. The groove in the sign was painted to sorta match the slate blue exterior. They are finished with a high-gloss spar varnish. A 1981 review in 4-Wheel & Off-Road called the rails "annoying". They said it made climbing into the bed harder. I think that's what the tailgate is for.

It doesn't look like yours ever had the rails. If you want to mount them the factory way, you will have to drill a few holes.

Last edited:

AdamH

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Mt Holly
State
NC
since they came on my '81 I did put them back on after the build. my '82 did not come with them so I do not plan on adding them

SCJeeper

Legacy Registered User
City
Pickens
State
SC
The doors are painted now. The having to drill holes is the only part I'm not really fond off. I had thought about trying to engineer another way to mount them but may not be worth the effort. I love the retroness of them though.

Gueon

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Thatcher
State
AZ
What's up guys!? I was just wondering who on here has bed rails installed. I'm getting ready to go back to half cab mode and just had the thought of making some to factory specs and staining them to match my half cab. Post pictures up of yours if you have them. Let me know what you think. Here is a picture of what it will look like.

Thanks!

Untitled by SCJeepr, on Flickr

Most definitely!

JeepWillis

Basic User
City
Austin
State
Tx
Love it. I run them on my Copper Brown Metallic '81 as well. Such a unique feature..wish i could post pics!

DeLuke

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Dallas
State
TX
Certainly! They are on my 1983 SL, and I love the look. It's such a unique Scrambler-only, retro look for a 1980's vehicle to have. I love it.

However, I am not putting them on my 1985 restoration because they were not an option that year. When my wife found out that the '85 would not have rails, she got huffy, reversed course, and said I should definitely keep the 1983 SL because it had rails. Oh how I love her and so glad she tolerates the Jeeps.

Spieg

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Aurora
State
CO
One of the first things I removed... didn't like the farm truck look.

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
Lifetime Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
I like them on some colors that are close to wood, earthy colors. But to me on a black Laredo for instance they just don't look that good. I have a buddy with a black Laredo that the previous owner painted them black with silver in the recess, and that looked better. I have a pair on my copper brown SR as it came that way new and I like the look on that color.

cdvcj8

It's Not My Scrambler
Lifetime Member
City
West Friendship
State
MD
When I got mine my son immediately requested that they be removed. Of course they were a valiant but not Close to perfect attempt by the PO. As usual I agree completely with JJ that the color makes a difference.

TexasAg77

S.O.A. Charter Member
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Cleveland
State
TN
WOW

Moabite-

Love this '8. Not sure I will put rails on, but you gave me a target to aim for...:bow:

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
The sweet set I got from Dennis are going on my 81!

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
bfbe30fb6da79b4b5bc49129d10002fc-1.jpg
. Not mine but I saw this one on Saturday looks good with the wood.

Sent from my iPad

BRKLYNZ28

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
BROOKLYN
State
NY
I didnt put them on my gray scram as it never looked right with them on. Here are the painted black and silver rails that jersey was talking about that i test fitted. Looks ok but like it without them.
53c221e8e25fbd49a50d2457dae7c797-1.jpg

sent from my flaming samsung note7

AdamH

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Mt Holly
State
NC
Here's a pic I posted last week of my '81. To be honest, I do think a Scrambler looks better without them. However, the fact that these came on my Jeep and made it all these years I had to put them back on. I did sand them down some and stain them darker. To me the lighter color wood looked weird on gray. As I stated above, I am glad my '82 didn't have them from the factory so I don't feel like I have to put them back on. :rotfl:

image.jpeg

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
Lifetime Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
I agree, and they do look better both ways above. :wave:

Reference above, this is the only set I have and they are the original color. In the past, any that have the drilled holes still there, I have kept a set on, but luckily the only other original I have , the 82 Sherwood green one, never had them installed. So I guess I'll always be 50/50 on putting wood objects on scramblers. :bacon:

70aef28eab015c67359397a24cc654ab-1.jpg

SCJeeper

Legacy Registered User
City
Pickens
State
SC
I have decided against it. The biggest reason is i don't want to drill holes that were not there already. I still love the look and think that it would be a cool tribute to the past on my restomod. Thanks everyone for posting up!

Domin8

Scrambler Enthusiast
Lifetime Member
City
Astoria
State
NY
Does anyone know whether or not a rollbar was offered from the factory with both, the 3 point seat belts AND the wood rail holes in it?

DeLuke

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Dallas
State
TX
Does anyone know whether or not a rollbar was offered from the factory with both, the 3 point seat belts AND the wood rail holes in it?

Yes, I can confirm that. My 1983 SL has both.

Logan Scrambler Small.JPG