• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Jeeps, Trades, Camaradarie... and a padded Grab Bar!

CJ7Pilot

BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Yuba City
State
CA
As some of you know, I've got a thread in the for sale section called "free to a good home."

It's my way of passing on good parts, that I can't use in my build... no strings attached, and no reciprocity expected!

Because of this, I've met some fun people, and made some good trades (beer especially... Randyzzz and Gr8Dain know their beer)!

Recently, I sent something to Kim Dawson, who owns a company called "Antique Auto Top Hardware Company" ( http://antiqueautotophardware.com ) which I didn't know about until now.

Well, Kim decided to send me something he made himself, and I had no idea what it would be... it is both apropos and awesome!

GrabBar - 1.jpg

Years ago, I wanted a padded grab bar in my CJ7, so I slid a 10-speed foam handlebar grip on it (which worked pretty well). I've been planning on doing it again with my CJ8, but now I've got a padded leather grab bar to use instead!

Thank you, Kim!

I'll post another pic when It's installed! :thumbsup:

Last edited:

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
As some of you know, I've got a thread in the for sale section called "free to a good home."

It's my way of passing on good parts, that I can't use in my build... no strings attached, and no reciprocity expected!

Because of this, I've met some fun people, and made some good trades (beer especially... Randyzzz and Gr8Dain know their beer)!

Recently, I sent something to Kim Dawson, who owns a company called "Antique Auto Top Hardware Company http://antiqueautotophardware.com" (which I didn't know until now).

Well, Kim decided to send me something he made himself, and I had no idea what it would be... it is both apropos and awesome!

View attachment 56031

Years ago, I wanted a padded grab bar in my CJ7, so I slid a 10-speed foam handlebar grip on it (which worked pretty well). I've been planning on doing it again with my CJ8, but now I've got a padded leather grab bar to use instead!

Thank you, Kim!

I'll post another pic when It's installed! :thumbsup:

That is so awesome.

A lot of great karma on this forum. I really have to meet more of you all in person some day. Like at the national scrambler and the sand blast. Really gotta make the sand blast some day.

CJ7Pilot

BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Yuba City
State
CA
Here is the grab bar installed. The only down-side is that it is so clean and new, it shows how much I need to work on the rest of the interior....

Thanks again, Kim! :thumbsup:

GrabBar.jpg

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
That looks great. Kim, how much would you charge to do that on a plan grab bar?

Sent from my SM-J320P

Polarfire

Jeep Aficionado
Lifetime Member
City
Columbia
State
MO
I've been a recipient of CJ7pilots generosity myself! This is why I love this forum. Not just because it is dedicated to the Jeeps I love but because of the members. Of all the different forums I visit and am active on (both Jeep related and other hobbies) I have never found one as active, good hearted, and down right brotherly (sisters too) as this one.

Beautiful grab bar Kim!

Kim Dawson

CJ-8 Member
City
Molalla
State
Or
That looks great. Kim, how much would you charge to do that on a plan grab bar?

Sent from my SM-J320P

That was my first one. It's one piece and out of the stretchy part of the hide. I need to try a two piece one so I can do it with most any leather or color. Once I get the process dialed in I'll see how much time it takes. I'm working on a big project now, but when it's finished I'd like to find the correct colors of leather to match each interior offered. When I get everything fine tuned I'll be able to make them identical to the originals. But that will be a future project. I just wanted to do something nice for Steve that I hoped he could use.

BRKLYNZ28

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
BROOKLYN
State
NY
[emoji106] [emoji106] [emoji106] [emoji106] [emoji106] [emoji106] [emoji106] [emoji106] [emoji106]

sent from my flaming samsung note7

CJ7Pilot

BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Yuba City
State
CA
It's fantastic! It also got the gears turning on one of my other ideas....

I've got the original plastic door pulls on my steel doors, and they are broken, held together with Gorilla tape.

I keep thinking, "it's too bad they didn't make the door pulls the same way they made the grab bars!"

Maybe I'll try making door pulls out of 3/4" conduit, and see if I can talk Kim in to wrapping them with padded leather! ;)

Kim Dawson

CJ-8 Member
City
Molalla
State
Or

I've got the original plastic door pulls on my steel doors, and they are broken, held together with Gorilla tape.

I keep thinking, "it's too bad they didn't make the door pulls the same way they made the grab bars!"

Maybe I'll try making door pulls out of 3/4" conduit, and see if I can talk Kim in to wrapping them with padded leather! ;)

You make them, I'll cover them.

jims chop shop

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
stafford
State
va

What color ?

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
Lifetime Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
I have never seen a grab bar stitched so well, by a long shot, it looks JUST LIKE the original stitching.. :drool::bacon:

jims chop shop

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
stafford
State
va
e5157bc253d21bc5d60564e09509456a-1.jpg

You pay shipping

jims chop shop

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
stafford
State
va
Kim
This is a leather rap that I removed from a bent steering wheel
I am hoping to re-stitch it to this wheel
05b94e5870eb1733a13f2d50290538a3-1.jpg

0b8f0c47dd41dddc79726c4466ccf3a6-1.jpg

What would I need as far as tape or padding to thicken the wheel up to fit the leather cover

jammer1

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Maple Hts.
State
Oh
Looks awesome, When you get it all worked out let me know. Would be interested in a black one for the cj8 build.
That was my first one. It's one piece and out of the stretchy part of the hide. I need to try a two piece one so I can do it with most any leather or color. Once I get the process dialed in I'll see how much time it takes. I'm working on a big project now, but when it's finished I'd like to find the correct colors of leather to match each interior offered. When I get everything fine tuned I'll be able to make them identical to the originals. But that will be a future project. I just wanted to do something nice for Steve that I hoped he could use.

Kim Dawson

CJ-8 Member
City
Molalla
State
Or
I used 1/8" closed cell foam I ordered from McMaster-Carr. I use this for the gasket around the steering column at the firewall, too. I don't know how much space you need to fill, so the foam or some thin felt should pad the wheel out enough. Because it's been pre-fit, it should go together really easy.

Thank you all for the kind words about the cover. I hand stitch leather straps and parts for the early brass era cars (1900 to1916). Lots of hand stitching. I will let you guys know when I can do the grab bars.

Kim
This is a leather rap that I removed from a bent steering wheel
I am hoping to re-stitch it to this wheel
05b94e5870eb1733a13f2d50290538a3-1.jpg

0b8f0c47dd41dddc79726c4466ccf3a6-1.jpg

What would I need as far as tape or padding to thicken the wheel up to fit the leather cover