• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Random unplugged wires...Nutter bypass?

zenarcher

Basic User
City
charlotte
State
NC
I just picked an 83 Laredo 258, and I'm noticing a decent amount of wires in the engine bay that connect to nothing! The engine runs fine, but is there an easy way to tell if the PO did a nutter bypass? Thank you

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
Lifetime Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
The main thing to look for is a cut wire going from the ign module that bypasses the computer behind the dash panel and goes straight to the distributor. All of that computer harness can then be deleted which may be a lot of the wires you see. Also many sensors that feed the computer are not needed / can be cut /omitted.

Simple diagram for Nutter evidence u can find this and more by googling nutter bypass :wave:

Rosco1974

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Oklahoma City
State
OK
Easiest way I found is to look at the ignition module connector. If there is a single wire outside the connector connected to the violet wire = yes.

zenarcher

Basic User
City
charlotte
State
NC
Thanks for the input. I don't believe the bypass has been done, but I have to backtrack on my comment on the vehicle running fine, it seems to really lack power and I have to get a running start to make it up the driveway hill. I did notice that the oxygen sensor is not plugged in to anything. Would that affect the performance significantly?

cdvcj8

It's Not My Scrambler
Lifetime Member
City
West Friendship
State
MD
What size wheels? If not stock was The axle gearing changed?

zenarcher

Basic User
City
charlotte
State
NC
33's... not sure about the gearing. The PO didn't do much to the engine and drivetrain, but the guy before that may have. I'm just wondering if because of the disconnections the car is in "limp" mode and I don't even know it.

Kane

CJ-8 Member
City
Berlin
State
ct
These older vehicles don't really have a limp mode because the fueling is carbureted. If the computer failed you will have limited timing since it does control most of thel advance.

zenarcher

Basic User
City
charlotte
State
NC
These older vehicles don't really have a limp mode because the fueling is carbureted. If the computer failed you will have limited timing since it does control most of thel advance.

Any good way to test that? When I got the vehicle, the hose connecting the vacuum advance to the carb was not connected and reconnecting it didn't seem to change anything.

zenarcher

Basic User
City
charlotte
State
NC
Maybe a picture would help explain what I'm working with...
eb6ffc1bc6-1.jpg

FLCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Palm Bay
State
FL
Maybe a picture would help explain what I'm working with...
eb6ffc1bc6-1.jpg

IMHO, I would do the Nutter bypass and the ignition upgrade. Made a world of difference on my '83.
Also, what do you have for a fuel return line to the fuel tank. I don't see a return line from your filter.