• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

'82 roll bar removal

mudbeast2

Basic User
City
PORT SAINT LUCIE
State
FL
Hey guys,
I need to remove my roll bar so I can do a spray in bed liner. I am having a problem removing the 16 bolts holding it in. I've all ready broke 2 T40 tips. Last shot will be using a impact rated socket. If that fails I will have to drill all the bolts out & re-tap. My question is what is the tread of the roll cage bolts. Looking from the under side they look like they could be 3/8-16. I would like to know for sure before I get started.
Thanks in advance for all the help.

sdsupilot

CJ-8 Member
City
OKC
State
OK
I used an impact when removing my roll bar. I also twisted 4 of the 16 original bolts off, heat and penetrating oil will help. After the roll bar was removed I was able to weld a nut on the end of the twisted off bolts and remove 2 of the 4. The other 2 I drilled and tapped.

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
Lifetime Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
If you don't have to worry about the paint, get an assistant to heat up from underneath. Heat is almost always required to go 16 for 16, unless a very rust free example.

rstickley

SOA Member
Gold Member
SOA Member
City
Carencro
State
La
I welded a nut to the head of the torx bolt. The heat loosened it up plus I could get a wrench on the nut. Then purchased new bolts.

mudbeast2

Basic User
City
PORT SAINT LUCIE
State
FL
I welded a nut to the head of the torx bolt. The heat loosened it up plus I could get a wrench on the nut. Then purchased new bolts.

That's what I did last night, 8 unscrewed, 4 snapped very easily. The last 4 are the ones where the roll bar comes on the angle to the back. Not enough room to weld the nuts. Thinking I may just grind heads off, remove roll bar then drill & re tap. They are only 3/8-16 bolts.

Polarfire

Jeep Aficionado
Lifetime Member
City
Columbia
State
MO
Can try using grinder to flatten two sides of bolt head to a wrench on it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G850A

BRKLYNZ28

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
BROOKLYN
State
NY
I would love to see the tool that the factory used to install these bars.

sent from my flaming samsung note7

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
Lifetime Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
That's what I did last night, 8 unscrewed, 4 snapped very easily. The last 4 are the ones where the roll bar comes on the angle to the back. Not enough room to weld the nuts. Thinking I may just grind heads off, remove roll bar then drill & re tap. They are only 3/8-16 bolts.

If you get it ground off and have part of the bolt sticking up, you can use vice grips, if you first heat up the square welded nut on the underside. in most cases, using heat is much better of a time/money investment, than drilling and retapping which I have never ever had any fun with. :twocents: :smokin:

BRKLYNZ28

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
BROOKLYN
State
NY
Yep a nice bottle of map gas and a turbo head will do it.

sent from my flaming samsung note7

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
Just watch the gas filler and vent hoses in the back passenger corner.🔥🔥🔥

Sent from my SM-J320P

mudbeast2

Basic User
City
PORT SAINT LUCIE
State
FL
44cead9f832f17d05362ad36a98fd951-1.jpg

efe5c435a64681e4fa7424927a9421ff-1.jpg

b11e7f0b863c45a127d7ceea084c68b2-1.jpg

1e12277544b24dd2eb50d0c2371a36f0-1.jpg

Ok I got it out during my lunch break today. Only bad news is two rot holes on the rear area. But the forward sections are solid. The suppor channels are solid, so it only seem like it's the decking.

mudbeast2

Basic User
City
PORT SAINT LUCIE
State
FL
b100324edbf9b80d1bc89f8e16437df7-1.jpg

b8d4bd11b2779913003ab9597704931f-1.jpg

Finished removing all the support brackets. I found the one on drivers side was a little rotted. If anyone has a spare for sale or knows where I could find one, please let me know. Worst case I'll have to build one.