• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

The Land Yacht

AdamH

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Mt Holly
State
NC
As mentioned in another post, I sold my '82 Scrambler to a buddy (rubcult) before I really started on it. My wife and I wanted something different to add to the collection. Well, I found that something different.

1968 Plymouth Sport Fury Convertible. It's a complete car that runs and drives. I already have tags and insurance on it and have a few short drives. It has some bumps and bruises as any 48 year old car would but its a great starting point. First steps are getting it as a better driver. brake work, fix some of the electrical, overall check of the car. Future plans would be a full resto-mod. The 318 seems to be in good condition but isn't know as a high HP engine. $$$ compared to HP gains it doesn't make sense to build it. More than likely swap in a 400, MAYBE mini-tub the back, definitely different paint color. Anyways - plenty of time to think about it.

And in case you are wondering about the title - this MOPAR C-body is just shy of 18' long! Can haul the whole neighborhood in it!

IMG_6615.JPG
IMG_6617.JPG
IMG_6619.JPG
IMG_6618.JPG
IMG_6621.JPG
IMG_6625.JPG
IMG_6636.JPG

Last edited:

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
Wow. That looks to be in really good condition. Congrats. Especially compared to the Impala I am dealing with. Ideas on the future color at this point?

SurfnCJ8

Legacy Registered User
Lifetime Member
City
Wilmington
State
NC
That is cool. Big old convertibles are a blast.

Love that last pic too. I have garage envy now! I can barely walk in mine it is so disorganized.

neilconnolly79

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
Mankato
State
MN
Love the old boats, that looks like a great platform for some good times!

Here's my Yacht, 1974 Chevy Impala 400/TH350, been in my family since new 56000ish original miles...

DSC_0377.jpgDSC_0378.jpg

AdamH

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Mt Holly
State
NC
Wow. That looks to be in really good condition. Congrats. Especially compared to the Impala I am dealing with. Ideas on the future color at this point?

probably in the copper / orange family

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
Find a rear wrecked mopar with 6.4 hemi!! If you are thinking mini tubs, it won't be original so why not (other than money)

Sent from my SM-J320P

YJ-8

Basic User
City
Austin
State
TX
Cool car-- I do not know my Plymoths but on most muscle cars (Unibody) the combo of big HP, minitubs and being a convertible may be a recipe for trouble.

AdamH

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Mt Holly
State
NC
what do you do when someone is selling a trashed car with the motor you want but won't part it out? You buy the whole mess.

picked up a '66 Sport Fury with a fresh 440 Big Block and TF 727. Receipts to prove they were built 6 weeks ago and the car hasn't been driven. Took my AMC engine builder with me to look things over. Plans are to take the heart and soul outta this one, save the salvageable parts for re-sale, then scrap the rest. the guy selling admitted he had more sentimental attachment to the car than sense when it came to dumping that much money into a drivetrain for a car that is swiss cheese. the pics make the car look 100 times better than it really is. the front end parts are in the bed of my truck. from what I have seen thus far the trim, glass and interior parts are hard to come by. this car has all of it there in fairly good shape. plan to make back some of what I spent.

IMG_6875.JPG
IMG_6873.JPG
IMG_6877.JPG
IMG_6878.JPG

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
:popcorn: Wow!!! This whole thread is packed full of awesome. :bow:

Seems like quite the score on the second car/drivetrain donor!

FWIW, I love the existing color on your car. Very unique nowadays and would make for a fantastic sleeper :headbang:

I'd make it run like a top, maybe play with the interior and leave the outside looking exactly like it is with just a nice polish to bring the existing paint as far back as it would come. :drool: I'm all about the patina cars like this have earned, but in to follow this build regardless! :cheers:

AdamH

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Mt Holly
State
NC
Yea I keep going back and forth on the paint. That will be last on the list. I wasn't even looking for a new motor since the 318 is so good. I was actually trolling CL looking for the Ram Air hood that was an option on these. Came across the red '66 and realized it was just over an hour away. Sometimes timelines change when opportunity knocks. 😀

Hope to have the drivelines swapped in a week or so and kick the red one out. The wifey isn't happy her Overland is outside. 😟

AdamH

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Mt Holly
State
NC
And to your point about a sleeper .....

That's one of the reasons I bought the '68. I'm not an original kind of guy regardless of the vehicle. I love the modification process. People who know MOPARS look at a car like mine 99% of the time and think "cool old Weekend cruiser / old man's car". I also can't see spending the money on a GTX or Roadrunner convertible.

Wait until those same people see this thing when I'm done. It should make them scratch their heads. 😀

AdamH

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Mt Holly
State
NC
pulled the heart and soul out of the donor car today. the 440 and 727 are now tucked away in the corner of the garage. hope to get the carcass gone soon

IMG_6969.JPG
IMG_6979.JPG

AdamH

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Mt Holly
State
NC
Realized the data loss erased some updates I had.

Engine swap is complete along with new exhaust. When I took it to the exhaust shop I simply told him true duals and ensure everyone knows a big block is hiding under the hood. WOW. I love the sound. For every one person who says it’s too loud 9 others compliment it like she’s a super model.

Re-did the interior complete with recovering the seats and new carpet myself. Won’t win any shows but that’s not why I have this car. It’s to cruise in and make others scratch their heads when they find themselves smoked by a boat.

18” Foose offset wheels with new tires of course. back tires are 10” wide.

Next on the list is to replace the trans. Original 727 gave up so I decided to call up Mancini Racing. Had a TCI Streetfighter 727 delivered this week. Hope to have it installed in the next few days once it warms up some. New one is rated up to 600hp and I’m putting down just shy of 500hp to the rear wheels so it should be fine.

Last edited:

AdamH

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Mt Holly
State
NC