• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Jeep CK-8 Build

Shark Bait

CJ-8 Member
City
Charleston
State
WV
My thread starts as a project for a client from my main business (mobile communications). I have an 82 Scrambler that he wanted but, without the rust. That led us to a conversation of "something similar but different". How about a new tub on a new Wrangler frame? Why not? R&D would be time consuming for all the searching I had done showed it hadn't been done, or if so not easily found. We talked money and time and the journey began. First thing, order a frame for a new 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. I have a 13 model 2 door and knew the frames were more or less of a "modular" design. Front and rears close to the same with the middle section determining ultimate wheelbase. While waiting on the fame to come in I ordered a set of front and rear Dana Ultimate 60 crate axles with lockers and 4.88 gears. Then called Aqualu and got a new aluminum tub with tailgate on its way from Canada to us. I am going with a Fabtech 5" long arm suspension lift but wanted to mock up the frame with stock suspension components, the local dealer that ordered our frame had some new take off parts from Wranglers they had lifted and was more than happy to get them out of their warehouse.
The frame arrived before the tub and went to work on figuring what needed done to fit up with a Scrambler.
image_zps0vipyzf1jpeg-1.jpg

image_zpsrbleye1hjpeg-1.jpg

image_zpsjqmafcuzjpeg-1.jpg

image_zpsjlbcjezejpeg-1.jpg

Shark Bait

CJ-8 Member
City
Charleston
State
WV
The JKU has 116" wheelbase versus the CJ-8 having 103". I'm stretching it to 104" by taking 12" out of the center. Plus, I'll have to add 12" to the rear for the additional length of the bed.my plan is to be able to use JK rear bumper if wanted.

image_zpskqt6oautjpeg-1.jpg

image_zpsqg0z3mzgjpeg-1.jpg
image_zpszhpdrwb8jpeg-1.jpg

image_zps1zhmtpnjjpeg-1.jpg

image_zpsxzw5bhuhjpeg-1.jpg

Shark Bait

CJ-8 Member
City
Charleston
State
WV
The tub arrived with no problems, man it's light weight. Under 300lbs! Fit isn't too bad. Still much work needed to get it to work. The frame rails on the CJ are way narrower than on a JK, I knew this going into it, dabbing up mounts will be a little time consuming. I know how you guys like pictures so if I do too many let me know. Lol
image_zpsxkhr1m7ujpeg-1.jpg

image_zpsd2xyzhmhjpeg-1.jpg
image_zps4td34cpojpeg-1.jpg

image_zps7de7qj8hjpeg-1.jpg

image_zpshrmdn07qjpeg-1.jpg

image_zpsq2sok3asjpeg-1.jpg

Shark Bait

CJ-8 Member
City
Charleston
State
WV
The title of CK-8 comes from combining CJ and JK, but I'm sure you guys figured that out already. I know I'm posting a lot today on this but it's been a couple months in the making, it seems like every JK part we order is weeks waiting on them. Using Energy Suspension JKU polyurethane mounting kit.
image_zpssxxsyetqjpeg-1.jpg

image_zps2lbs3i6zjpeg-1.jpg

image_zps30mmkvxrjpeg-1.jpg

image_zpswsmntpayjpeg-1.jpg

image_zps6cklr70ejpeg-1.jpg

image_zpsqtfuezncjpeg-1.jpg

Extended the rear 12" giving the frame the same overhang as the JK has in order to option it's bumpers.
image_zpskfgofxcrjpeg-1.jpg

Shark Bait

CJ-8 Member
City
Charleston
State
WV
The Fabtech kit is on a 4 week back order, so I'm waiting on it. PSC Motorsports however says that they are starting to ship their new beefed up steering gear, the JK XD, this week. That should save me from having to add the hydraulic assistance we had originally planned for. Haven't decided 100% on wheels and tires yet but they should be 37"- 38" (40's may be too big?). Oh yeah, the Dana's are 4" wider than original JK axles, so we'll see what has to be done for fender flares. Also, I didn't mention earlier, I ordered the Aqualu GR8Tops bulkhead with the tub and one of their dash panels.
image_zpspwytybnnjpeg-1.jpg

image_zpssivplxchjpeg-1.jpg

Shark Bait

CJ-8 Member
City
Charleston
State
WV
This looks really cool! And nice shop too!

Thank you all, it's gonna slow down as I wait on parts and work my other job load too.
The shop is 7,000 square feet. It's 50'x120' with a 1000 sq ft second floor and 16' foot ceilings. I've got some bigger toys that are parked in the back. I hate a dim working area so there's around 100 fluorescent light fixtures with daylight bulbs in the front half work area.

rubclt

BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Charlotte
State
NC
I like the modern suspension with Scrambler look, thanks for sharing the build.

Shark Bait

CJ-8 Member
City
Charleston
State
WV
Great build. What motor is your client wanting to run?

LS-3 Chevy Crate Engine, probably 430hp version with 4L70e transmission and Atlas 2 transfer case. I thought about the 495hp version, but, I hadn't ordered one yet. PSC Motorsports says today we are number 61 on the list for the new steering box which puts us about 3 weeks out on it. I wanted to have it to fit the front fender and grill. We are still another 3 weeks or so waiting on Fabtech too.
Anyone have any feedback on the Corbeau seats? Looking at doing the GTS II's in cloth.

cbford

Legacy Registered User
City
CLT
State
NC
I have a set of the Corbeau Moabs. Looks like a same general frame size/shape as GTS, with adjustable headrest. My focus point would be the recline mechanism which appears exactly the same.

Recline system would be my only suggestion for thought. I have not had any problem with mine (6' tall, 250lb), but they are not the same level of robust as an OEM seat. Much more flex than I would have expected.

They are also about 2 inches higher in seating surface height than the stock seats I removed. I kept the stock sliders and cut down a set of stock folding risers (one I bought from Certified on here) to get them back to stock seating height.

Overall I feel I got my moneys worth.

Shark Bait

CJ-8 Member
City
Charleston
State
WV
Thank you for your feedback on the seats. I ordered the Corbeau CJ bases with the GTS II's (black suede), their mounts look to be cut down to accommodate the height difference. I'll let you guys know. The client had second thoughts once on the project and started dancing around again on finishing it, I saved him the the trouble and me the aggrevation and let him out of the commitment, guess I'll finish it independently. May be up for sell when done. Lol. It's hard being a nice guy but he's gave me so much business in the past. Oh well, it'll still be a great ride when it's done. I'm going to pick up the Fabtech suspension lift tomorrow and FedEx is suppose to deliver the PSC XD steering gear tomorrow. May get something done on it again. Wheels and tires ordered as well, BFGoodrich 37x12.50R18 Mud Terrain KM2 on Fuel Off-road Trophy 18x9 wheels.