• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Half top restoration vs new GR8TOP

AJSJEEPS

Basic User
City
Houston
State
TX
Hello all. New to the scrambler world. Bought an '83 about 6 months ago, and I've been slowly getting it road worthy. I recently got the original half top from the previous owner. It's in rough shape. Fiberglass work and new glass will be necessary, as well as paint. So I have a quote for all of the repairs necessary to the top with glass and paint (which I can do myself) of around $1200. I see that GR8TOPS have new replacements for about $1600. My question is whether there any significant advantages in going with a new GR8TOP over restoring the original?

thanks!

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
You should be able to find an original one in very good shape for well under $1,200. At least in my area you could. I did have one sent to a guy in Texas because apparently down there they are considerably more expensive.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
I'll have an extra half top at some point, but I'm in Oregon....

AJSJEEPS

Basic User
City
Houston
State
TX
So, the guy agreed to restore the top for $1K, which still may be high, but I was too impatient to wait to find one. I think it turned out great. I now want to look into latches for ease of removal. I think I saw another thread on that. Thanks!

rubclt

BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Charlotte
State
NC
Nice to see white, looks good IMO...

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
Looks great on that green tub! And I used latches from McMaster-Carr
IMG_7700.jpg

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
Dain, will you post some pics of how you utilized those latches?

You know we like pics

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
Dain, will you post some pics of how you utilized those latches?

You know we like pics

Sure. The top is hanging in my garage but hope this helps. I have four along the tope of the windshield and three along the bulkhead. The ones at the windshield have the hook part riveted to the windheld but the three at the bulkhead just use the lip of the bulkhead to secure it.

IMG_7704.jpg

IMG_7705.jpg

IMG_7706.jpg

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
Sorry. It is hard to see the latches in the second picture.

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
Found a better pic from when it was installed.

IMG_6085.jpg

IMG_6083.jpg

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
Those latches look exactly like the ones Acme used for their full hardtops. I have bag of 6 right in front of me I bought from Acme 20 some years ago.

AJSJEEPS

Basic User
City
Houston
State
TX
Looks great on that green tub! And I used latches from McMaster-Carr
View attachment 59299

Thanks, Dain. I wouldn't have picked the color (previous owner had it painted that color), but since I've put the white wagon wheels and top, I'm liking the color a lot. Also, thanks for the recommendation and pictures for the latches. I'm definitely going to go that route.

AJ

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
Good deal. I hope they work out for you. I am happy I went with the latches. Quicker amd more secure.

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
Very cool Dain, thank you for the pics and the part number.

Think I'm going to go that route with my CJ-7 tops. The Scrambler top has never been off so I'll leave it alone.