• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

New ARB product!!

CJ8Rockcrawler

The FABLED 8
Lifetime Member
City
Minneapolis
State
MN
I saw that too. It looks pretty interesting. Way cleaner than running a bunch of wires.

Spieg

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Aurora
State
CO
So I guess I don't get it... What is the point? My tire (tyre?) inflator has a gauge, my Jeep has a speedometer, volt meter, etc... Why would I want to throw more/redundant sensors and a cell phone/app into the mix? Just seems like more unnecessary gizmos to break and repair.

5280Sapper

CJ-8 Member
City
Peyton
State
CO
So I guess I don't get it... What is the point? My tire (tyre?) inflator has a gauge, my Jeep has a speedometer, volt meter, etc... Why would I want to throw more/redundant sensors and a cell phone/app into the mix? Just seems like more unnecessary gizmos to break and repair.

I does have some unnecessary bits for sure if your installing it in functioning off the lot vehicle. I'm sure its can based so there is a plug that would go into the OBD port and pull all the computer information, you wouldn't add sensors.. But its very similar to and S pod. which allows you to simply and safely integrate auxiliary lights and other components with out have a rats nest of wiring.. and the tyre is euro spelling of tire.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Hmm... Oregon just passed a law that you cannot even touch a mobile device while driving. Makes using the Linx a little difficult.

For Red, I'm planning on having a mini-tablet that either pivots down or comes up through the dash pad. It will control music, navigation, and communicate through a bluetooth interface to the OBDII connector. Permanently mounted devices are exempt from the new law.

Kane

CJ-8 Member
City
Berlin
State
ct
Hmm... Oregon just passed a law that you cannot even touch a mobile device while driving. Makes using the Linx a little difficult.

For Red, I'm planning on having a mini-tablet that either pivots down or comes up through the dash pad. It will control music, navigation, and communicate through a bluetooth interface to the OBDII connector. Permanently mounted devices are exempt from the new law.

Isn't it funny how that works. You can interface with a tablet but get the cuffs if you touch your phone to do the exact same thing.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Randyzzz, this guy may have what you're looking for or at least an idea. https://soundmanca.com/products/sideslider

Nice product. But $249 for a plastic tray!!!:eek:

I'm thinking something like Audi- a screen that rises up from a hidden slot in the dash pad. Or one that hinges back into the sloped part above the gauges, and extends to a vertical position when the key is turned on.

Something like this- except the screen doesn't come out of the head unit, it folds out from the dash pad.
dash-with-radio-out.jpg

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
I got the spiel on this at SEMA from their marketing director. This is less for gauges and more for an all-in-one replacement for an sPod and control over your built-in air compressor.

Note that the link that the OP pasted in is just one function that this thing has.

The display unit is not your phone, it's a dedicated display that comes with the unit and therefore wouldn't come under any such limitations. The reality is that most higher-end vehicles use some form of touch screen for controlling most vehicle functions anyway.

There's a lot that it can do with programming when you can and can't use things, like setting it so that offroad lights can't be used when traveling over a set speed. It's going to be $$$ on top of the compressor and all, so I tuned out a bit when I realized that it was really targeting only people with an ARB compressor setup.

5280Sapper

CJ-8 Member
City
Peyton
State
CO
Yeah what Bigwalton said.. tech stuff and touch screens are the rave and it will sell like crazy just like most of ARB products do.