Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Transmission Identification

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    City/State
    Albany, Ga
    Posts
    113

    Transmission Identification

    Not sure if just one or how many different models of auto trannys were available for my 82. How can I identify exactly what I have? I知 trying to get info for the throttle control rod linkage assembly, would be helpful if I knew what I had.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    City/State
    Rockville, VA
    Scrambler Year
    1981-CJ-8 SL
    Year Purchased
    2000
    Posts
    7,171
    Odds are you'd have a TF999. Some had TF904, but they're a bit lighter duty. Both can be built up a bit. I've had my OEM TF999 behind a mild 360 for years.
    John N
    1981 Scrambler Dana 44's w/ARBs F & R, AMC 360 w/TBI, TF999, Dana 300 clocked & twin sticked w/4:1, RE 4.5" XD lift, etc........
    Plus.... 2014 Grand Cherokee Overland (DD), CJ-7 (in pieces) and 3 off brand 4x4s...

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    City/State
    Albany, Ga
    Posts
    113
    Quote Originally Posted by John N View Post
    Odds are you'd have a TF999. Some had TF904, but they're a bit lighter duty. Both can be built up a bit. I've had my OEM TF999 behind a mild 360 for years.
    10-4...thanks for the reply.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    City/State
    Albany, Ga
    Posts
    113
    After looking at the FSM I知 missing the one down on the transmission linkage. Did a quick google with no luck. Has anyone purchased one these or know where to get one?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    City/State
    Albany, Ga
    Posts
    113
    Quote Originally Posted by Griff04 View Post
    After looking at the FSM I知 missing the one down on the transmission linkage. Did a quick google with no luck. Has anyone purchased one these or know where to get one?
    Went down to the local Ace and they had an assortment of springs...measured what I needed before I went, picked one up
    and all is good.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    City/State
    Manassas, VA
    Scrambler Year
    1981
    Year Purchased
    2013
    Posts
    561
    Quote Originally Posted by Griff04 View Post
    Went down to the local Ace and they had an assortment of springs...measured what I needed before I went, picked one up
    and all is good.
    This is how i find most of the springs i need. Much faster than trying to order specific ones I have found for these types.
    1981 CJ-8 Build in progress. 5.3LS, 4L60e, Atlas, Dana 60 w/Detroit, 14 Bolt with ARB.
    1986 CJ-7 4in lift with 33in BFGs. 258 with TBI, T5 and Dana 300 w/4:1 kit
    2017 Ram 3500 Dually Jeep hauler. Pulls every trailer I hook to it.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •