• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

One last save from Photobucket...

Zodiac

CJ-8 Member
City
Macomb
State
MO
I apologize if this has been covered here before, but I just learned about this trick over at the Early CJ-5 forum.

Everyone's getting bitten by PB's decision to stop third-party hosting, and hundreds, if not thousands, of forums (fora?) across the world are impacted by this nonsense.

HOWEVER!

There may be a workaround, albeit temporary, to get your pics back, or see them in order.

http://www.earlycj5.com/xf_cj5/inde...ges-and-preserve-threads.126279/#post-1357755

From Focker's post on the forum:
=========================
I made a discovery today while trying to figure out how I could help save some member's threads due to the PB fallout. It's not a fast solution, but it will work with member dedication.

1st step - Install Google's Chrome browser on your computer.
2nd step and the most crucial part - Install the Photobucket Embed Fix <----Click. You can use the FREE version or pay $1.99.
3rd step - View the threads that were damaged by PB.
4th - Rejoice!
5th - Start saving the images and get to work preserving threads before Dec 2018 (that is when PB will put the final nail in the coffin).

Jump to Post #28 or continue with the method described below (You should probably read post #28). ;)

I did a test today and this was the easiest process I came up with:
- Create a folder on the desktop and place it to the far right.
- Open ECJ5 in the Chrome browser and minimize the window. Make sure you can see the new folder you created on the far right.
- Open the thread in question and simply drag & drop the image over to the new folder.
- I suggest that you rename the image(s) in the order you're saving as mentioned in post one.
- Next, find a new (non free) hosting site and upload your images. Some of you know that I have one - Thread = Image Hosting Site, but use whatever.
- Upload and edit your thread with the new link.
====================================

So, unless PB changes things yet again, we have until Dec 2018 before all 3P access to PB pics is gone forever. If you wish to keep some, get crackin!

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Good stuff, thanks for reposting this but CJ-8.com wasn't hit by this issue as badly because we implemented a solution that pulled off all of the images hosted on Photobucket (and other 3rd party servers) before the change. Unfortunately, I'm sure we did lose some of them in the recent data loss, however, so there may be need to still use this,

Note that all paid forum supporters here ($30 per year or less, depending on the option you choose -- that's less than a tank of gas) can upload photos directly to our servers as you are composing your post, no remote hosting required.

This is the page with the options for membership, there's multiple-year options at a reduced per-year cost and a lifetime option for $150.

https://www.cj-8.com/forum/payments.php

In addition to the photo hosting, much larger Private Message limit, ability to edit your own posts, and more -- you get the satisfaction of knowing you're helping us keep this place running.

Please consider this as you think about how you want to host your photos.

Mancunian

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
City
Bridgeport
State
WV
What is everyone using now instead of Photobucket?

(Apart from members)!

Zodiac

CJ-8 Member
City
Macomb
State
MO
Instagram, flickr, tumblr, other such flighty business. I got a membership, albeit just a one-year for now. Next year hope to get the lifetime. :D

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Google Photos for other forums. Use goog.gl to shorten links. Takes a bit to get the hang of it, you have to share your album to make it public so pictures show up. But, I figure Google isn't going anywhere for a while...