Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast

Thread: spankrjs's Biloxi, MS '83 Scrambler

City/State
    Gonzales, La
    Scrambler Year
    Year Purchased
    09, 15
    Quote Originally Posted by spankrjs View Post
    I did not feel like finding another grill and repainting it. The grill swap might get me another 3/16" clearance. What I decided to do, get the original radiator repaired, and find a slightly shorter fan clutch.

This picture clearly shows the major difference between an OEM radiator and a "replacement" radiator:

This was not cheap or fast. Cost me a little less then $500, and it took awhile to find the correct core. The radiator repair took around 6 weeks, so i was not able to drive this Scrambler to Michigan this year.

So, stalled out on the radiator, I jumped back to the fuel system.
    Since Stump Jumper was my second Scrambler build and I had already learned all the lessons you have and are learning i realized after the first build that I had spent close to $500.00 on my cooling system is why I just went ahead and bought a nice Aluminum radiator for the Stump Jumper build. Like I say many times here, seems like every time I try to save $100 bucks it ends up costing me $500.00. So from now own anytime I have a cooling problem the first thing I will do is install a good aluminum radiator.
    Here is a picture of a cooling sytem I am building for a 1957 Jeep FC with a 5.3L in it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by zr10054; 11-09-2017 at 07:37 PM.

My 83 Scrambler Build
    http://www.cj-8.com/forum/showthread...5-3-Conversion Now known as STUMP JUMPER.
    My 81 Scrambler Build SOLD
    http://s1197.photobucket.com/user/ve...eep%20Pictures
    "Sometimes cheap turns out to be way more expensive

City/State
    Palm Bay, FL
    Scrambler Year
    '83
    Year Purchased
    Ray,
    Thanks for taking the time to rebuild this post.

City/State
    Biloxi, MS
    Scrambler Year
    1983 (I think SR?)
    Year Purchased
    Quote Originally Posted by zr10054 View Post
    Since Stump Jumper was my second Scrambler build and I had already learned all the lessons you have and are learning i realized after the first build that I had spent close to $500.00 on my cooling system is why I just went ahead and bought a nice Aluminum radiator for the Stump Jumper build. Like I say many times here, seems like every time I try to save $100 bucks it ends up costing me $500.00. So from now own anytime I have a cooling problem the first thing I will do is install a good aluminum radiator.
    Here is a picture of a cooling sytem I am building for a 1957 Jeep FC with a 5.3L in it.
    No doubt I could have spent less on a good aftermarket aluminum radiator, but I wanted to keep an OEM radiator in this one, I was being stubborn

The Scrambler/FC are looking good

2005 LJ Rubicon Flame Red - all stock, daily driver
    1983 Sherwood Green CJ-8 - mostly stock SR
    1983 Sebring Red CJ-8 - completely rebuilt, originally Base model
    1984 Almond Beige CJ-8- original paint, TBI 350/700R4/CA rust free project, Base model
    1983 Sherwood Green CJ-8 SR - "project Yard Scrambler" - "SOLD" back to JeepAddict
    1981 Tan Scrambler- "project Alabama Yard Scrambler" - "Returned" to Josh
    1984 Sebring Red CJ-8 SL - "project Yard Scrambler II" - "On Loan" from JeepAddict, now SOLD

City/State
    Biloxi, MS
    Scrambler Year
    1983 (I think SR?)
    Year Purchased
    Quote Originally Posted by FLCJ8 View Post
    Ray,
    Thanks for taking the time to rebuild this post.
    No problem, glad you are enjoying it

These threads also help me keep straight what/when/where/how/why I did certain things, so a couple years down the road I have good reference material to look back on

1984 Almond Beige CJ-8- original paint, TBI 350/700R4/CA rust free project, Base model
    1983 Sherwood Green CJ-8 SR - "project Yard Scrambler" - "SOLD" back to JeepAddict
    1984 Sebring Red CJ-8 SL - "project Yard Scrambler II" - "On Loan" from JeepAddict, now SOLD

City/State
    Biloxi, MS
    Scrambler Year
    1983 (I think SR?)
    Year Purchased
    And back to the fueling system.

This Scrambler is running MPI on a basically stock 258. The fuel rail is the "return less" style, so it only has fuel going in. The pressure regulator is built into the fuel filter, mounted back by the tank. I decided to leave the fuel rail supply line running down the passenger side frame rail, like a stock CJ. I did this for one important reason: I keep having "hot fuel/vapor locking" issues on my other fuel injected Scramblers. So, I figure it would be best to leave the fuel supply line on the opposite frame rail from the exhaust.

This is all fine and good, but the fuel rail is on the driver side of the engine, fuel supply line is on the passenger side. So, I need to get the fuel from one side of the engine bay to the other. I thought about several different options, and then realized there is an off the shelf solution to this problem on 258 engines. 1987 - 1990 carburetor equipped YJ Wranglers have the fuel supply line running on the driver side frame rail (exhaust runs down the passenger side), BUT the mechanical fuel pump is mounted on the passenger side of the block. So, the Jeep engineers came up with this nifty, pre-bent stainless fuel line, that runs under the oil pan, and allows the fuel to cross over from one side of the engine bay to the other:

This fuel line bolts to the oil pan using a few of the oil pan attaching blocks. From the passenger side, the line runs down, then turns to the front, runs around the front of the engine, turns back to the rear, then turns upward. I did not have any of the OEM attaching bolt/studs, so I made a couple:

Quick picture of the rubber fuel line I am using:

This stuff is super high pressure rated, multi fuel, and ethanol safe. I have been running this rubber fuel line for over 10 years now, have not had a failure or problem with it yet.

First mock up with the YJ fuel line:

With it bolted up, I think this end is too close to the exhaust manifold. From pictures I have looked at on the internet, this is how close it runs, but that is too close for comfort for me:

So, I slightly lowered the fuel line downward using some hex spacers:

Not the best looking solution, but it works. A "cleaner" approach would be to cut/re-bend/re-flare this stainless steel line. I have a spare line that I will probably modify in the future. Anyway, I now have about 3" of clearance from the exhaust manifold, much better IMO:

City/State
    Biloxi, MS
    Scrambler Year
    1983 (I think SR?)
    Year Purchased
    Like I said earlier, the spacers are not the cleanest looking approach:

Looks kind of blah, but it is secure, and it works. The picture makes it look worse then what it is. The line is still high and tight, so nothing will snag or hit it.

In this picture, I have a piece of rubber fuel line, covered in electrical tubing, connecting the fuel rail to the oil pan mounted stainless steel line. Nice sweeping bends, as far from exhaust heat as is practical:

And the other side, short piece of rubber line connecting the chassis mounted hard line to the oil pan mounted stainless line:

That completes the fuel system.

One last cooling system picture. With the rebuilt OEM radiator installed, with the 1981 CJ-7 clutch fan installed, a little bit more then 1" clearance:

I have new engine/transmission mounts installed, so I am happy with the clearance. The engine should not be jumping straight forward 1". A little bit of movement, yes, but not jumping straight forward. In the future, I will obtain/paint the correct year grill, and that should put me back to factory clearance. For now, it is way better then before, I am happy as a pig in $hit

City/State
    Biloxi, MS
    Scrambler Year
    1983 (I think SR?)
    Year Purchased
    One last thing to wrap up, the air cleaner system.

I decided to run the air intake tube over the valve cover to the passenger side of the engine bay. But, the air tube was resting on top of the aluminum valve cover. I wanted some clearance betweent he two, so I decided to install a throttle body spacer:

Besides giving me the necessary clearance, the spacer also doubled the HP LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

With it mocked up:

Still a slight problem: The weight of the thick rubber hose I am using causes the whole tube assembly to sag down and contact the valve cover:

So, using a piece of aluminum angle, and two pre-existing tapped holes in the top of the valve cover, I built a "support" bracket:

Problem solved. The completed "Redneck Ray cold air" air cleaner/CCV system installed:

Still sucking air from under hood, but at least it is on the opposite side away from the exhaust heat. In the future, I would love to install a 4.0 air box assembly, and use regular paper filters.

I decided to purchase another battery, I got tired of playing battery "musical chairs". Decided to try one of these new fangled batteries out, got a good brother in law discount LOL:

That pretty much finished it up.

City/State
    Biloxi, MS
    Scrambler Year
    1983 (I think SR?)
    Year Purchased
    Quick re-cap

I pulled the T5/Dana 300 out toward the end of January
    I rebuilt them, plus cleaned a bunch of stuff, finished that around the end of March
    Project sat still from end of March till the middle of May, when I got the engine back from the rebuilders
    Installed engine/clutch/transmission/transfer case late May, then the site crashed
    May, June, July, August - completed all the "minor" tasks (all this stuff was just re-uploaded this week)

Got the Scrambler running/driving again early September, after Sand Blast.

Anyway, pushed it out of the garage, overall engine bay shot:

Took awhile to purge the air from the fuel lines, but once purged, fired right up:

Ta-Da, FIN:

I have put a couple hundred miles on it since I completed all this work, a few random thoughts:

1) The rebuilt 258 with MPI is very peppy, much better then the tired 258 with the OEM carb stuff. This 258 pulls harder then my 4.0 Scrambler at low RPM, the 4.0 pulls harder at higher RPM. Anyway, the conversion to MPI on this stock Scrambler was well worth it, very fun to drive, fires right up

2) Took the new clutch awhile to break in, works/feels perfect now. Very light pedal pressure, pretty happy with the clutch.

3) The T5 felt tight/hair notchy shifting into all gears for the first couple hundred miles, if you tried to shift real fast. I guess the blocking rings needed to wear in a bit, shifts perfect now. it survives LOL

4) Internal fuel pump was louder then an external fuel pump for the first couple of runs. Now, the only time I hear it is when I first turn the key on. The new fuel system seems to be working perfectly.

Lots of work, but well worth it.

Scrambler is definitely not finished, its a Jeep after all

While I was working on it, I noticed the original rubber brake lines are all cracking, front wheel bearings still feel good but I have never repacked them, found some NOS chrome lock in hubs I might install, take the diamond tread off the top of the side steps, find a 1983 grill and have it painted to match, the tires all have very fine cracks starting to show (which sucks because they still have probably 95% tread), might swap on some different shocks (the Superlift shocks are valved pretty stiff), eventually remove bed liner crap off the floors and repaint, fix slightly loose hard top..........................................

That's it for now

City/State
    Gonzales, La
    Scrambler Year
    Year Purchased
    09, 15
    It feels good when a Plan finally comes together. Nice looking Jeep.

My 83 Scrambler Build
    http://www.cj-8.com/forum/showthread...5-3-Conversion Now known as STUMP JUMPER.
    My 81 Scrambler Build SOLD
    http://s1197.photobucket.com/user/ve...eep%20Pictures
    "Sometimes cheap turns out to be way more expensive

City/State
    Dillsboro, IN
    Scrambler Year
    81-4,82-2,83-4,84-2
    Year Purchased
    This means it's "Dune Ready" now!
    Great job as usual my friend.

If "WE ARE" the result of our past paths,
    we need to pay attention to who "OUR PRESENT WALK" is with,
    to prepare us "FOR OUR FUTURE DESTINATION"

Toby

City/State
    Biloxi, MS
    Scrambler Year
    1983 (I think SR?)
    Year Purchased
    Quote Originally Posted by zr10054 View Post
    It feels good when a Plan finally comes together. Nice looking Jeep.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBeep View Post
    This means it's "Dune Ready" now!
    Great job as usual my friend.
    Thanks guys

It will need new tires before a Michigan trip

City/State
    Allenhurst, GA
    Scrambler Year
    1983 CJ-8 Laradeo
    Year Purchased
    would you have a part number for the fuel line that runs under the oil pan and a source of where you got it?
    1983 CJ-8 Laredo, 4.0 swap. T-5, Dana 300 project state 70%
    1982 CJ-8, project state 10% (Sold)
    1983 CJ-7 Sold

City/State
    Biloxi, MS
    Scrambler Year
    1983 (I think SR?)
    Year Purchased
    Quote Originally Posted by kctango View Post
    would you have a part number for the fuel line that runs under the oil pan and a source of where you got it?
    Sorry, no part #

The fuel line is the stock/OEM fuel line that came on all Jeep YJ's that came equipped with a 258, IIRC 1987 - 1990.

I got one of these fuel lines from a buddy that was swapping engines on a YJ, I got another one off of eBay. Pretty sure the line is stainless, so if you can find one second hand/salvage yard, they should be in great shape

City/State
    Allenhurst, GA
    Scrambler Year
    1983 CJ-8 Laradeo
    Year Purchased
    Quote Originally Posted by spankrjs View Post
    Sorry, no part #

The fuel line is the stock/OEM fuel line that came on all Jeep YJ's that came equipped with a 258, IIRC 1987 - 1990.

I got one of these fuel lines from a buddy that was swapping engines on a YJ, I got another one off of eBay. Pretty sure the line is stainless, so if you can find one second hand/salvage yard, they should be in great shape
    Thanks for the reply, I was able to find a used one on ebay and have ordered it for about $60 not too bad.
    1983 CJ-8 Laredo, 4.0 swap. T-5, Dana 300 project state 70%
    1982 CJ-8, project state 10% (Sold)
    1983 CJ-7 Sold

City/State
    Biloxi, MS
    Scrambler Year
    1983 (I think SR?)
    Year Purchased
    Quote Originally Posted by kctango View Post
    Thanks for the reply, I was able to find a used one on ebay and have ordered it for about $60 not too bad.