Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: full hard vs. full soft top. pros and cons

City/State
    Farmington, NM
    Scrambler Year
    Year Purchased

full hard vs. full soft top. pros and cons

I don't want to buy both to I was hoping someone could share their experience. I'm leaning toward the soft because I don't the I would ever actually take the full hard off once I got it on and would like to occasionally have a bed to use but I'm worried about wind and flapping noise. can someone provide some input?

City/State
    Lake Keesus, WI
    Scrambler Year
    1982 Scrambler Base
    Year Purchased
    I had a full hardtop on my 8. Our two kids had the back seat. We always voted as a family when the top would come off during the summer and it wouldn't go back on until school started in September. Too much work to take on and off. Also I can't bring rained soaked kids to school. Before the top came off, we would remove the doors and remove the lift gate to provide some relief but still keep the rain out. I never used a soft top for the eight, but we have one for the LJ. Most of the summer the LJ is driven with the side and rear windows removed and the top up to keep the sun out. I loved the hard top for spring and summer, no real noise to speak of. Our jeeps are never driven during the winter due to salt on our roads, but the hard top would be preferred during the winter. Just my sc-rambling two cents.

City/State
    West Bend, WI
    Scrambler Year
    82 and 84
    Year Purchased
    I switch off between an ACME full hard top and my Whitco full soft top. The only reason I do this is because the hard top is a lot less drafty in the colder months. I was actually very surprised that the hard top was NOT that much quieter than the soft top. The hard top came with one of my scramblers almost 28 years ago and we just never got rid of it. Maybe it's just mine but it really didn't fit all that great. The door openings don't line up all that well along with the tailgate, etc. No matter how I adjust it, something is off. So if I had to choose between the two, I would without question get a GOOD soft top. I personally would never spend the money on a hard top. In my opinion it would be a complete waste of money.
    My Rides...
    84 Scrambler 28,000 original miles
    82 Scrambler (resto project)
    29 Chevy truck
    88 Firebird Formula WS6
    98 camry (daily)

City/State
    West Bend, WI
    Scrambler Year
    82 and 84
    Year Purchased
    Well hi Jeff! I haven't seen you in a while Boy did we have a difference in opinion. lol
    My Rides...
    29 Chevy truck
    88 Firebird Formula WS6
    98 camry (daily)

City/State
    Lake Keesus, WI
    Scrambler Year
    1982 Scrambler Base
    Year Purchased
    Hi Ron... My hard top fit mint (and quiet) after a lot of adjustment. It also had a stock lift gate. I also have an appreciation for keeping myself dry and warm (and also the ability to keep my tools locked up and safe). Not much security with a soft top. Differences in opinion and in use are great!

City/State
    Lake Keesus, WI
    Scrambler Year
    1982 Scrambler Base
    Year Purchased
    The Scrambler we keep in northern WI has a hard top with sliding windows and screens, which is unique and useful.

City/State
    West Bend, WI
    Scrambler Year
    82 and 84
    Year Purchased
    I have the sliders with screens as well, I do agree they are nice to have. Do you use factory hard doors or the fiberglass ones? I have the fiberglass ones and maybe that's where a lot of the noise is coming from I have some factory hard doors but I just haven't had a chance to paint them yet. Here are the glass ones in case anyone is interested. Sorry, crappy pic I know.
    20171008_105926.jpg
    My Rides...
    29 Chevy truck
    88 Firebird Formula WS6
    98 camry (daily)

City/State
    Lake Keesus, WI
    Scrambler Year
    1982 Scrambler Base
    Year Purchased
    Factory hard doors. The hard top is also helpful in carrying a canoe or kayaks.

DSC00927.jpg
    Last edited by jak inc; 12-05-2017 at 08:21 PM.

City/State
    Redmond, OR
    Scrambler Year
    82 base, 81 SR
    Year Purchased
    If you live in a snowy climate, you can't open the rear window of the soft top in winter- the zippers ice up and the plastic window gets brittle. Plus you can't scrape ice off plastic windows. The tailgate is a bear to open with a soft top too.

Randy S.
    "It's not what you buy, it's what you build"
    82 Scrambler "Copper" 5.3 LS/4L60E/241OR/D44&HD20/4.56 locked
    Build Thread-http://www.cj-8.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19032
    87 J20 "Blue" 6.0 LS/4L80E/241C...Current Build
    81 Scrambler "Red"...Waiting Patiently
    1966, 1968, 1970, 1972 Wagoneers...
    73 VW Bus- for sale
    www.oldsoulsretros.com

City/State
    Farmington, NM
    Scrambler Year
    Year Purchased
    all good info, even if it has only made my decision harder! keep the info coming.

City/State
    West Haven, UT
    Scrambler Year
    Year Purchased
    Quote Originally Posted by Randyzzz View Post
    If you live in a snowy climate, you can't open the rear window of the soft top in winter- the zippers ice up and the plastic window gets brittle. Plus you can't scrape ice off plastic windows. The tailgate is a bear to open with a soft top too.
    Truth. I switch with the seasons on my YJ. I have crack the soft back window before and the hard top holds more heat. At one time I wanted the ambulance style seats and a Mohave heater in the back of the 8. If I had that setup I would just run the soft.

City/State
    Farmington, NM
    Scrambler Year
    Year Purchased
    Anyone know what happened to the thread about putting a third bow in your soft top? I can't find it and apparently it helped with flapping and rustling noise,

City/State
    Palm Bay, FL
    Scrambler Year
    '83
    Year Purchased
    Quote Originally Posted by redking11 View Post
    Anyone know what happened to the thread about putting a third bow in your soft top? I can't find it and apparently it helped with flapping and rustling noise,
    http://www.cj-8.com/content.php?45-Adding-a-third-bow-to-a-Scrambler-Bestop-Supertop

You will need one of these to view the pics until they get redone.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-embedded-imag/ogipgokcopooepeipngiikdkpmcpkaon

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/photobucket-fixer/?src=cb-dl-recentlyadded

City/State
    Berlin, ct
    Scrambler Year
    1984 CJ8 / 1980 CJ5
    Year Purchased
    I had an acme hard top and sold it to get my supertop. I just like the ease of use with a soft top better and with the blazer motor I do not have a heater issue in the winter. The hardtop was surprisingly loud and I really didn't like how the Jeep handled with all the weight on high up top.
    MY RIDES:
    1984 CJ-8
    1961 Willys Wagon

City/State
    Farmington, NM
    Scrambler Year
    Year Purchased
    do the full hard tops get hot in the summer? I don't have a/c in my scrambler. I mean I fugure if you take of the doors and open the windows your going to get plenty of air. My guess would be that a hard top painted something other than black might actually be cooler than a black soft top. I'm in TX for the time being so I'm more worried about heat than cold.