• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

under dash a/c

Stvnfalcon

Basic User
City
Lake Charles
State
La
I just bought a 82 scrambler and have the a/c and was wondering how hard it is to drop the a/c to get to the gauges to change them and put in new bulbs thanks for the help

Kim Dawson

CJ-8 Member
City
Molalla
State
Or
Should be 4 or 5 sheet metal screws holding it to the bottom of the dash. Might possibly be another brace, but once you loosen it from the dash you will know. Still the usual twisting and reaching but the ac unit will hang down.

Zodiac

CJ-8 Member
City
Macomb
State
MO
It's easier to do as much as you can from the passenger side, even for the screws on the driver's side. I don't know why, but mine was a royal PITA on the driver's side. Be careful you don't kink the AC lines when you lay it down. Getting to the gauges is gonna be a trip; unless you have arms like an orangutan, you'll wind up on your back on the driver's side with one leg up in the doorframe.

Craner8

CJ-8 Member
Silver Member
City
Orlando
State
FL
And be careful not to break off the drain hose on the bottom, if you have one. Mine broke at the box and haven’t fixed it yet. Lowered it 6 times to reach the break light switch, and finally just removed the dash bolts and lowered it too. Much easier to reach everything, and really didn’t take too much time.

don87401

Original Owner
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Farmington
State
NM
Pull the seats out just four bolts each then you can lay down a bit more comfortable to reach things.