• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

'83 Scrammbler build

Husker fan

Legacy Registered User
City
Caro
State
MI
I guess I should finally start a build thread. I have been lurking on this site for the last couple of years and was lucky enough to find a scrambler here in Michigan that was not rusted out. I have had the scrambler for about 2 years. When I bought it it had a 304, 4 speed transmission, dana 300, AMC 20, and dana 30. It was sitting on a 4 inch superlift with 33 inch tires. I drove it for a year trying to decide what I wanted to do for a motor swap. I finally decided to go with a 2009 5.3 out of a Tahoe with about 90k on it. I am putting a ax-15 behind it and keeping the dana 300. Came across a craigslist find and ended up with a dana 44 for the front and rear. The front had been narrowed and had one flat top knuckle already on it. so plans got modified and decided to go with high steer set up. So far I have gotten the 304 out and the 5.3 mounted. I currently have the front axle removed and working on putting the front 44 under it. The lift I decided to upgrade and go with BDS 2.5 wide springs and 4" and keep with 33 inch tires. I have reached out to a few of the members on here with questions and greatly appreciate the feed back and help.

Husker fan

Legacy Registered User
City
Caro
State
MI
Pictures are not in much of an order since I have been working on this swap off and on for about a year. I had also lost a lot of pictures on the phone. I have also been working back and forth between the engine swap and installing speed hut gauges. It is a big work in progress. This weekend I removed the front axle and removed the springs. When removing the front shackle hangers the furthest forward captured nut for the spring hanger broke loose. Looks like I will have to cut a hole in order to get a new nut in.

CJ7Pilot

BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Yuba City
State
CA
Looks like a fun build.. and the camo wrap is a good look! :thumbsup:

Husker fan

Legacy Registered User
City
Caro
State
MI
Made a little progress today. Got the MORE steering box brace mounted. Also got PSC steering gear mounted.
Jeep 11.jpg
Jeep 12.jpg

DirtyB

Crazy Cajun
Lifetime Member
City
Port Allen
State
LA
Love the camo. Looks like an original Kayline Top!

Husker fan

Legacy Registered User
City
Caro
State
MI
I do get a lot of people liking the camo. The person I bought it from had it put on. It is a vinyl wrap. It is starting to come off in some places so it will eventually go. It is a Kayline top. Pretty decent condition with a few small wear spots.

masscj2a

Rebuilding America's Jeep
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Ware
State
MA
Had the 5.3 in my 2010 Chevy PU. Good little motor.

Husker fan

Legacy Registered User
City
Caro
State
MI
I have been working on putting axles under the jeep. I was wondering what I should be looking for at the pinion angle for the front and the rear. I have found that I need to make sure I have about 6 degrees of caster. Currently I am also putting a 4 inch BDS lift on at the same time. Any help would be appreciated.

DirtyB

Crazy Cajun
Lifetime Member
City
Port Allen
State
LA
I have been working on putting axles under the jeep. I was wondering what I should be looking for at the pinion angle for the front and the rear. I have found that I need to make sure I have about 6 degrees of caster. Currently I am also putting a 4 inch BDS lift on at the same time. Any help would be appreciated.

You probably know these things already, but I learned the hard way....

You need AT LEAST 4 degree of caster on the front. Some people recommend 6 to 8. Anything less and you will wander from side to side at speeds over 45 MPH or so.

Did you consider a drop pitman arm? Make sure your main drag link is mostly horizontal or you'll get the "bump steer" syndrome.

For drive shafts, the angle to the transfer case should be close to equal to the angle at the differential. If you need to sacrifice on of your drive shaft angles, make it the front, you usually only use 4x4 at slower speeds, right. Also, don't forget to keep the U joints in sync (maybe someone with better English can explain what I mean).

Husker fan

Legacy Registered User
City
Caro
State
MI
Thank you Dirty B for the info. I think I am going to go with an Astro pitman arm. I am going with a high steer set up. The axle that I picked up had one flat top knuckle on it so I put one on the other side to go to high steer. I feel like I need to get them mounted and a load on the suspension to check alignment on everything.

dmorolli

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
Sterling Heights
State
MI
I did the same 44 swap last year, also used an astro pitman arm.
My axles are spring under with a 4 inch lift.

Ron84cj

Engine nerd
Lifetime Member
City
West Bend
State
WI
Just curious, what did you end up going with for your clutch situation? Between that and the master/slave situation it was definitely "fun" when I did mine.

Husker fan

Legacy Registered User
City
Caro
State
MI
I ended up going with external hydraulic clutch. I got the hydraulic clutch setup from Novak. Still need to figure how to mount the pushrod to the clutch pedal. I don't have the pin on the clutch pedal.

Ron84cj

Engine nerd
Lifetime Member
City
West Bend
State
WI
I just drilled a hole in the pedal and used a shoulder bolt. It works, or you get the pedal assembly from a yj (if you can find one). Regarding the hydraulics. Check out my build thread "my blue jeep." I ran into issues even with other things too like the pilot bearing. Hopefully it will save you some headaches.

Husker fan

Legacy Registered User
City
Caro
State
MI
Ron84cj I just read through your build thread and you did run into a lot of problems with the flywheel and bushing. I did end up going with the Novak flywheel bushing and adjustable throwout bearing. I am hoping that it works out.