• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Intake Manifold Coolant Fitting Leak

joshvt

Scrambler Enthusiast
Lifetime Member
City
charlotte
State
nc
Like the title says, I recently noticed very slow coolant leak at the intake manifold fitting. I first noticed this in November. At that time I couldn't tell what was leaking because the fluid was in random drips and not coming out of the fitting itself- and it was a brownish color- see pics. Today the leak showed itself around the fitting itself- where the elbow goes into the threaded piece. Is the cure for this a simple replacement of the fitting and are they readily available? And why is the coolant that color?

(within the last year, I have rebuilt the radiator, new water pump, new t-stat, new hoses except for the one from the water pump to the intake. The coolant still looks new (green) and is not discolored) Jeep is running great, staying cool, etc.)INTAKE FITTING-NOV.jpg[/ATTACH]INTAKE FITTING-NOV ALSO.jpgINTAKE FITTING-JAN.jpgINTAKE FITTING- FLUID COLOR.jpg

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
I have often wondered about that fitting, but I have never had one leak :shrug:

I would "assume" you can just unscrew the whole assembly from the intake, and replace it with a straight nipple with the same threads as the intake manifold, I am "assuming" they are just regular pipe thread :shrug:

That looks like oil or PS fluid on your finger, the stuff coming out the fitting, that is kind of weird :shrug:

joshvt

Scrambler Enthusiast
Lifetime Member
City
charlotte
State
nc
I agree about it looking like oil or ps fluid. It's a thinner consistency than oil and it washes off easily with water. I thought it was PS fluid b/c sometimes ps fluid would ooze out of the pinhole in the middle of the cap. I couldn't figure out how it was dripping on the intake manifold. Then I realized the ps fluid was slightly over filled. I removed some fluid from the ps resevoir and the oozing through the cap seemed to stop. since i posted I just went to double check and compare it to the ps fluid. they are different. see pic. the two fluids are definitely different consistency and again the mystery fluid washes off with water, the ps fluid needs soap. My only thought is if the leaking coolant is getting hot enough after it leaks to burn and discolor? Also, it does not smell like coolant.MYSTERY FLUID.jpg

Ron84cj

Engine nerd
Lifetime Member
City
West Bend
State
WI
It's probably just coolant mixing with rust/dirt from the fitting. I lost that fitting during the rebuild process of my old 6 cyl. I think I got one from the "race car isle" at AutoZone. Maybe it was orielly. I don't remember. All I know is that I didn't have trouble finding one. I used a straight one instead.