• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

GM 350 TBI No Spark/No Fuel Injector Pulse

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
My tan Scrambler has been running great since I got it running a few years ago. Its been to Michigan several times, South Dakota and back, all over around home, generally runs fine, except for the hot fuel issues.

Anyway, this past Saturday it was running fine, and it just shut down, almost like the key turned off. Will not restart.

No fuel at the throttle body, I did not diagnose the problem, just swapped fuel pumps. Still no fuel, can hear pump running, so started diagnosing.

I would get an injector pulse sometimes, but not all the time. Then, with key ON, throttle at idle position, the injectors would spray like the throttle was at wide open. In a few seconds, the injectors would fill the throttle body!!

Besides the either "Wide open throttle" or zero injector pulse, I also have no spark at coil, so no spark to distributor or plugs.

What I have done:

Verified voltage at coil and ICM at distributor, key ON and START, voltage good.
Checked pick up coil resistance, checked out fine.
All fuses fine, Jeep Chassis and TBI harness fuses/Relays.
Fuel pump operates fine, pressure fine.
Engine at TDC on damper, rotor at #1 inside cap, distributor does spin with engine correctly.

I had swapped some parts out when I was broke down in the woods, fuel pump, coil and ICM, no change. Even though the pick up coil inside the distributor checked out, I swapped distributors yesterday, no change.

I have a 91 GM Factory Service Manual, went through the diagnostic charts, everything checks out. The only thing I have not checked, that the FSM talks about, is some "Tack Signal Wire" that is taped up inside a factory GM harness. Not sure if my aftermarket harness has this or not, will have to look and see.

I see no external evidence of a wire harness damage, but my next step is to inspect the entire TBI/Jeep underhood harness looking for shorts/damage.

Scan tool found one problem, bad MAP sensor, pretty sure this issue would not cause all these problems, but swapped in a new one, no change.

Scan tool verified TPS voltage fine at idle position, coolant temp sensor showing outside temp of 73 degrees, other sensors showed correct voltage with key ON/ throttle at idle position.

One thing I did notice with the Scan tool - I put it on operating data while cranking, RPM's show zero while cranking 99% of the time, but every once in awhile the RPM on the Scan tool would spike to 5200 RPM while cranking?? Now, I have never paid attention to RPM on the scan tool while cranking when everything workes, maybe this is normal, not sure??

So, I am "assuming" for some reason either:

1) the computer is not receiving a signal it needs to supply spark and injector pulse at "Start" and "Run"
2) or the computer is not sending out the signal to the injectors and coil

I have a spare computer, condition unknown, plugged it in, no change.

My TBI system is typical GM TBI, except for the coil. I use a "small cap HEI" distributor with external coil, which I think is common on the GM TBI factory set ups. My harness was wired up to use a "can" style coil, so I use that instead of the more modern style coils. My fuel pump is wired through the oil pressure switch, like a stock GM. Fuel pump does work for three seconds when key turned ON, and pump runs while Cranking, too.

Ideas, comments, suggestions :crazy::thumbsup::wave:

I thought about pushing it down the hill in the back yard into the river, but that would probably not be too constructive :rotfl:

IAFFCJ

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Manassas
State
VA
what about cam or crank position sensors?

I second this not much more as of sensors I can think of other than the computer actually being bad.

Another thing would be be sure you arn't getting voltage drop when cranking. Truck had a similar problem and it was the voltage was too low to make all the sensors and junk to work when cranking. New Battery solved that issue.

Good luck.

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
what about cam or crank position sensors?

I second this not much more as of sensors I can think of other than the computer actually being bad.

Another thing would be be sure you arn't getting voltage drop when cranking. Truck had a similar problem and it was the voltage was too low to make all the sensors and junk to work when cranking. New Battery solved that issue.

Good luck.

No Crank Position Sensor on GM TBI.

No "Cam Position Sensor", either, per say, the "Pick Up Coil" inside the distributor acts as the "Cam Positioning Sensor". I checked the original senor, it tested fine, but still swapped in a new one, same thing, no bueno :(

Voltage was the same with key "ON" and "START", but I did put the battery on a charger, just to be safe :cheers:

I am going to temporarily "jump" the harness lead coming off the ICM that triggers the injector pulse, see if the injectors will pulse.

I am "thinking" it is a bad "Ignition Control Module", the thing on the base plate of the distributor with one set of two pins and a second set of four pins. IIRC, this sends the "engine is turning over signal" to the computer, which fires both spark and fuel. I changed the original out on the trail with a spare, and put a second new one in yesterday, no bueno :(

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
Good news, it runs :)

Bad news, not sure why :(:shrug:

I pulled the 4 pin connector off the base of the distributor, ran a hot wire from the + battery post, touched the purple wire on the harness connector, no injector pulse. I then remembered the ECM was unplugged. Plugged the spare ECM in, injectors pulsed, plugged the original ECM back in, injector pulse. The same internet source that mentioned this "jump" method stated that you would get spark with this 4 pin connector unplugged??? Not sure about that, I still had no spark. So, I plugged the 4 pin connector back on the distributer, verified 12 volts at distributor two pin connector with key ON and START, both good. Verified voltage at coil with key ON and START, good. So, I plugged back in the two pin connector, it fired right up :shrug::shrug:

The only change from yesterday was:

1) The battery was 100% charged. But, even with the battery being low, I still had over 12 volts to coil and distributor :shrug:
2) I unplugged the original ECM, left it disconnected over night, plugged it back in, it starts. Don't think this had anything to do with fixing the issue :shrug:

So, with the same ECM, ICM, pick up coil, and ignition coil, it would not run yesterday, but will run today, and the only real difference was jumping the harness connector to pulse the injectors a few times :shrug: Oh, and I did swap the MAP sensor yesterday, but it didn't start after that swap yesterday, either.

No blown fuses anywhere, either. I did pull each fuse back out, checked them, plugged them back in. I checked the fuses yesterday, with them plugged in, with a test light, they checked out fine. No corrosion present, so not sure about this either :shrug:

I plan on inspecting the wiring, see if I have a loose connection somewhere, that's all I can figure :shrug:

Ron84cj

Engine nerd
Lifetime Member
City
West Bend
State
WI
Check the connectors themselves. Last year my map sensor on my 5.3l was giving my issues. I had no codes and it was plugged in all the way. But the terminals didn't quite make a good connection causing my engine to randomly missfire and/or die. I simply had to bend them a little bit and then it ran great. That was a pain to find.

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
Check the connectors themselves. Last year my map sensor on my 5.3l was giving my issues. I had no codes and it was plugged in all the way. But the terminals didn't quite make a good connection causing my engine to randomly missfire and/or die. I simply had to bend them a little bit and then it ran great. That was a pain to find.

If I'm lucky, yeah, maybe I just didn't have the connector installed 100% all the way in on Sunday:fingerscrossed:

Realistically, might be a loose connection somewhere, like you said, which will be fun to track down :banghead:

What is strange, it's been running super the last few years, until Saturday, it shut down like the key was turned off. I am hoping/thinking that the original ICM went out. When I swapped in another ICM while broke down in the woods, I had left the key ON, maybe that fried that module, that is when the injectors started flowing at 100%. Maybe Sunday, just didn't have the 4 plug connector on all the way :fingerscrossed::shrug::wave:

jbeemer

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
Conklin
State
MI
I have fried a couple of those modules by leaving the key on.........

Rosco1974

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Oklahoma City
State
OK
Agree on connectors. Had an 89 that stopped running. All the same stuff. Sold it to the local vo-tech way cheap to teach diagnostics. Instructor looked at it for 5min, took off the injector connector, tapped it with the handle of a screwdriver and started right up.

mysunnshine

Legacy Registered User
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
When the injectors go full flow, the control(ECU) side of the injectors are grounded somehow be it a short internally in the ECU or the harness is getting pinched or rubbed somewhere.

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
I have fried a couple of those modules by leaving the key on.........

Yep, I had the key ON when I replaced the module when I was in the woods, not a good thing to do:(

Agree on connectors. Had an 89 that stopped running. All the same stuff. Sold it to the local vo-tech way cheap to teach diagnostics. Instructor looked at it for 5min, took off the injector connector, tapped it with the handle of a screwdriver and started right up.

Good thing, my harness/connectors are new, but I still need to pull it apart and check for damage/loose pins/etc :thumbsup:

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
When the injectors go full flow, the control(ECU) side of the injectors are grounded somehow be it a short internally in the ECU or the harness is getting pinched or rubbed somewhere.

The injectors went full flow when I replaced the ICM with the Key ON, accidentally. After that, with that module, anytime the key was switched ON, the injectors would go full bore. I changed the ICM and pick up coil, the injectors quit spraying full bore with key ON. But, I would get no pulse to the injectors, or spark. After I manually "jumped" the injector pulse signal, the injectors started pulsing. But, I still had no spark with the 4 pin connector off, but I am not sure it would spark with the connector off?

Seems "strange" that it just started magically working again, so the problem is most probably still there.

I am going to check over the harness, no obvious signs of damage that I can see so far. Is there a way to check the ECM, or have it checked out?

I adjusted the timing yesterday, drove it around for about 30 minutes, no problems. But, I don't think I "fixed" the issue, I think it just went away temporarily:twocents:

jammer1

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Maple Hts.
State
Oh
Sorry to hear about the problem. That's the reason I still run the carbs, and have a hei distributor. Doesn't mean no problems, just less to guess with (especially the intermittent problems. Have a 91 gmc with a jasper motor. Short time after install, intermittent problems with pinging, and lean conditions. Went through all tests and replacing parts (distributor, computer chip, new computer, etc.). Helped but still have at times. I learned to live with it. 96 ford f350 have a shut off problem when come to stop at times, like a low rpm surging. Does it intermittently yet no codes. More complicated and involved, harder to find the odd problems. When they work they're great. When problems they can pull you're hair out.

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
Sorry to hear about the problem. That's the reason I still run the carbs, and have a hei distributor. Doesn't mean no problems, just less to guess with (especially the intermittent problems. Have a 91 gmc with a jasper motor. Short time after install, intermittent problems with pinging, and lean conditions. Went through all tests and replacing parts (distributor, computer chip, new computer, etc.). Helped but still have at times. I learned to live with it. 96 ford f350 have a shut off problem when come to stop at times, like a low rpm surging. Does it intermittently yet no codes. More complicated and involved, harder to find the odd problems. When they work they're great. When problems they can pull you're hair out.

Yep, carb/HEI is much simpler/easy to diagnose :thumbsup:

But fuel injection is so, so nice 99% of the time :thumbsup: :cheers:

jammer1

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Maple Hts.
State
Oh
I have a holley terminator that I temp installed on the cj7 2 winters ago. Was going on the cj8 when done. I've had too many problems with the fuel injection on 2 trucks that the terminator sits on a shelf. Fuel injection good on new truck, on a 15 -20 yr trucks start having problems I don't have the knowledge, time or patience to handle. My hat off to you guys.:bow:

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
I missed this thread until now and it's probably moot, but when you mentioned shutting off like it was turned off and then the seemingly random computer issues I went straight to grounding and wondered about the battery ground connector. Any chance that putting the charger on the battery jiggled a questionable connection at the battery? I didn't see mention of checking the battery connectors themselves.

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
I missed this thread until now and it's probably moot, but when you mentioned shutting off like it was turned off and then the seemingly random computer issues I went straight to grounding and wondered about the battery ground connector. Any chance that putting the charger on the battery jiggled a questionable connection at the battery? I didn't see mention of checking the battery connectors themselves.

I pulled all the battery connectors/grounds and cleaned them yesterday. The 12v supply (on battery clamp) and the main ground strap (on battery clamp) had a little white stuff on them, should have checked them first :cheers::thumbsup:

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
Loaded up some tools, drove this one to NAPA on Saturday to pick up some parts for another project, ran fine :thumbsup:

Worked on another Jeep, had to make another parts store/Lowe's run, forgot my tools, no start in the Lowe's parking lot :banghead:

Jiggled the wires at the ignition switch, no start. Jiggled the wires that run from the injector pods, started right up. So, maybe I have at least narrowed down an area to inspect first :fingerscrossed:

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
Started it up and turned it off about 30 times last night, wiggled and pulled on all the wires and connectors, could not get it to cut off :banghead:

Packed up some tools, drove it to Lowes and back, no problem. I guess I need to drive it without any tools to get to to die again :twocents: