• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Freshwater river/lake/creek fly fishing outfit input?

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
My mother-in-law always asks me what I want for my birthday and she seems to prefer to get non-Jeep stuff. Obviously, that means I struggle to think of things.

This year, I'm out in front of it having realized I could put a fly rod to use in all the water around here. I've stayed away from one for years because I don't need another "thing" to be into, but enough of that.

Looking for input/suggestions on a nice, no frills, nothing fancy setup that I could get to sort of do-it-all on freshwater. No huge fish, typical stuff. I'd be more about just getting out and casting than really working hard to catch much.

A "package" like a couple of the ones I see Cabelas has on sale would be perfect, but I don't have a basis to judge the value/quality. Can't cost all that much money either, though.

Anyone have a solid suggestion?

mhinchliffe

CJ-8 Member
City
W-S
State
NC
I've got a 5 wt Cabelas Sweetwater, 8'6" long. It's all I've got and probably all I'll ever need.

joshvt

Scrambler Enthusiast
Lifetime Member
City
charlotte
State
nc
I am a salt water guy so don’t have a lot of advice on fly gear, but my advice would be to go to find a local shop. The knowledge and tips you will get at a good shop is great. And if you tel them up front what you’re after they can usually offer up a good rig that will likely beat cabelas in quality in price. Or you pay slightly more and support a local shop and get great advice. My son has gotten interested in freshwater fishing and is asking for a fly rig. We will be going to the local shop when his birthday rolls around.

Craner8

CJ-8 Member
Silver Member
City
Orlando
State
FL
Can you find a retiree who makes them as a hobby? Many of them are beautiful. Custom made, your name embossed (with a Jeep logo) and hand down to next generation. Like the knife...

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Interesting idea, guessing the price for something like that would be prohibitive if I could find it.

wewjr32

CJ-8 Member
City
Franklin
State
TN
A 5wt, 9' is a good do-it-all size for freshwater. I started with a 2-piece Cabelas rod and reel package and it was perfectly fine. A couple years after that I got a custom 4-piece rod as a gift. It was made by a guy who just did it as a hobby. If you're going to splurge, get a nicer rod and a cheaper reel. My custom rod has a way better feel to it but they both catch fish.

If you get bit by the bug with fly fishing the next logical step is to start tying your own flies. That's when it starts to get really fun. Very satisfying to catch a fish on a fly you tied yourself.

OGRES

Ramblin' Wreck
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Suwanee
State
GA
As others have said, a 5 wt, 8'-6" to 9' rod and simple reel is all you really need. I have two rods, both 8'-6" 5 wt, two piece. One is a Shakespeare Ugly Stick that was about $100 with a Pflugger reel which was another $40. The other was an Eagle combo that I bought from Wal-mart for less than $20. I have caught just as many fish with each setup. I am sure pricier rods and reels will work better, but the key to everything is knowing where to fish, knowing how to fish, and knowing what to fish with (flys). I spend my money on getting a good array of flys, good fly line, and good leaders and tippit.

There really isn't a reason that you can't get into the sport cheaply to see how you like it without taking out a second mortgage to buy the fanciest of everything.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
This is great stuff. Thanks! My issue isn’t really buying the best/pricey stuff, it ends up being volume :) that’s how we ended up with four Jeeps all of which are modified to some degree.

My wife’s uncle is into tying flies and I could TOTALLY see myself getting into it. :eek:

Scott_P

Legacy Registered User
Silver Member
City
Benzonia
State
MI
Eric,
If you end up getting into this you'll have to come up and teach me!....I live less than a mile from the Betsie River which has a great reputation for Steel head and Salmon fishing, not to mention it is a beautiful river and area. I've always wanted to check out the sport, but never made the time. Good luck!

Scott_P

Legacy Registered User
Silver Member
City
Benzonia
State
MI
Not to mention that the Iron Fish Distillery is close by too!

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Eric,
If you end up getting into this you'll have to come up and teach me!....I live less than a mile from the Betsie River which has a great reputation for Steel head and Salmon fishing, not to mention it is a beautiful river and area. I've always wanted to check out the sport, but never made the time. Good luck!

Hah, I purposefully stayed away because I knew I could go nuts up here with a fly rod :crazy: Enough of that thinking though...

Spieg

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Aurora
State
CO
My 2 pennies -
Nothing wrong with getting a 4-5 wt rod for general purpose but if you get into the sport, you'll probably get 2-3 more rods for specific kinds of fishing (at which point your general purpose rod will sit in the closet or become your loaner for friends or family). I agree that the rod is more important than the reel, so if your going to splurge, thats where to put your money. For a mid-price rod I'd look at Scott brand. For a high-end rod, there's not much to compare with a R.L. Winston. I've had several very expensive custom rods over the years and I always go back to my Winstons (their action is simply superb).

Happy fishing!

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Winston is way, way too much (more than I paid for my Postal :eek:)

Got this recommendation from an uncle that does a good bit of fly fishing in the PNW and Montana for trout and what not. Still a bit more than what I was hoping to get into for just the rod, but he said it's been his only rod for years and never felt the need to go to anything else (I know he also manages to catch plenty, but I've never made it out with him), TFO Temple Fork Lefty Kreh Professional Series II:

https://smile.amazon.com/Temple-Fork-Outfitters-Professional-86/dp/B007NLQM5Q

Plan to go into the local shop this week to see what they say, but my uncle mentioned that his experience is that they tend to push more up-market stuff. I'd love to be able to support the local biz though.

wjtstudios

1985 CJ 8
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rochester
State
Mi
Finally a topic I can really comment on. I’ve been flyfishing before I could ride a two wheeler! Here in Michigan there are two different directions for fly. Trout and salmon/steelhead. Two totally different directions.

Trout, the best setup will be a 5wt 8-9’. You want it to be short. Most of our trout streams get tight. Whether you are dry fly top water or nymph or streamer you are going to want a good float line in a drab or tan color. Big trout are spooky and really need a good presentation to get a hook set. As you get into trout we do a lot of night runs with a glo line. There’s nothing like a big brown trout slamming you fly in the pitch back!
EA16C226-4882-43D1-9BB9-1E4B82A6839C.jpg

For Salmon and steelhead, you will want a 8 weight a a sink line or a lot of guys will run a heavy mono that is colored and create what is called a chuck and duck rig. The goal is to get the fly presentation as close to the bottom as you can. Salmon are easy to catch, they are big dumb brutes and can have total control over you in a heartbeat. Steelhead are explosive thoroughbreds. Not as big as a salmon but are fast and agressive. It is easier to get into the salmon and steelhead and it’s an absolute blast. 7BCAFC1E-7C1E-4E67-A955-9BF4A8FC9117.jpg15246FEF-CC26-44CA-85BB-668B8B57CE44.jpg

For rods temple fork is a good intro into the sport. See if you like it and then invest more. If you want to make more of an investment, make sure you buy a rod with a life time warranty. I’ll blow up a rod every other year and they send me a new one every time. A good general purpose rods are st croix, sage, and orvis. All have great warranties with most of their rods.

I mostly fish the Pere Marquette flys only stretch in Baldwin Michigan. Some of the best gravel in the world for trout and salmon. There are a ton of other great rivers too.

Hope this helps!

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
This is definitely on the trout end of things for the time being. Thanks for all the great input. Definitely not looking to make any serious investment right now. That Temple Fork is already more than I really want to get into once I kit it out.